Zvezda 1/35 T-28 Medium Tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Tracks given a kind of thick wash in a rusty colour. Also started adding some rust staining where it might gather and run down from the return rollers.

This is all new to me but I'm starting to like the way it's looking. Will probably attempt some more defined rust streaks, then who knows?

Yt0jNcW.jpg

FtxVsom.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That is some seriously good paint work. God knows what you'll be like in a couple of years if this what you can achieve now.
Think I'll take up buildings only ! .

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Mick & John.

I'm still very much learning John, knowing how far to go with something seems to be the real skill. I try out a heavy effect, it looks too much so I tone it down, then it looks too subtle.

Having fun practicing and trying new things through :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

I'm not very good at taking compliments, I always think people are just being kind, and I'm ridiculously self critical :smiling5: but having looked through the few models I've made so far even I can see the progress, so I'm looking forward to what the future holds.

I've even decided to make the changes to my shed / model cave more permanent as this looks like being one hobby I actually stick to for a while! Currently I'm working on my converted router table with stuff scattered everywhere so once I've finished a couple of other projects I have going on I'll be stripping the shed out, insulating it, and building a proper bench with storage. Maybe even a separate painting area.

I think JR's tidying up bug is contagious!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very subtle finishes-well done. I've grown immune over time to tidyitus. I loose stuff when I try. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

I'm starting to lose things in the chaos that is my bench. I've even had to put day-glo tape on my scalpel so I can find it!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Paul.

I'm starting to lose things in the chaos that is my bench. I've even had to put day-glo tape on my scalpel so I can find it!
I get to the stage where the working area on my bench gets smaller and smaller till im working in a four inch square clear part of the cutting mat then i have to have a tidy up , but it soon creeps back! I like to think that genius is born out of chaos , just look at einsteins hairdo!!!:smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I really wish I had a photo of the workbench of someone I used to know about ten years ago. He built mainly Warhammer 40,000 models and terrain, and had a workbench in his shed — a full-size workbench like you might do carpentry on — of which you couldn’t see the surface due to all the stuff on it. Mostly materials and offcuts, but also tools, model parts, part-built models, instruction sheets, and who knows what else.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's an offshoot of Parkinsons' Law "work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion" this applies to components & workbench......................
Andy - I see you're going for a Whippet - flat cap at the ready?
If you get sick of tracks, then consider armoured cars - the MiniArt AEC MK.II, and the ICM Panhard 178, I can personally recommend - they are very well detailed ( complete interiors ), and tricky enough to push your skills - and look different enough to draw attention!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I think you're right Dave. As with Tony I start out with a reasonably tidy desk and generous work area, but every time I pick up a tool, sanding stick, brush or whatever I leave it close by as I know I'll be needing it again soon. I end up with barely enough room for the model.

And thank you for the suggestions. After the initial few where I knew exactly what I wanted to build I'm now having trouble picking subjects so any ideas are welcome. I've even thought it's about time I joined in the group builds as at least the decision has been partly made for me!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
In picking models - I usually go for something that is a little out of the ordinary. This means no Shermans, Tigers etc. Models of the popular subjects are scrutinised closely by people who have made them, and know their stuff. - If no-one has made one, then you get get away with quite a lot!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I like that plan Dave. I'm not (yet) bothered about super detail or accuracy, even though I respect those that have the skill and patience for it, so something where I can get away with a bit of artistic license is perfect.

Thanks Jim. I've always loved building things and I enjoy learning new skills, so this hobby is ideal :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

After letting the oils dry for a while and a satin varnish to seal them in, I've done a bit more. Trying to replicate rusty water running down from the exhaust but think I may have gone a bit far. Looks too grungy compared the the upper portions and front of the tank.

Comments and suggestions encouraged :smiling3:

6JpdIbS.jpg

ldbzK9B.jpg

WuIiOYJ.jpg

j2E7cjR.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
First tank, you sure!! Very impressive, but still one big ugly beast

D

Deleted member 7181

I've built an APC but yes, this is my first actual tank.

I get the feeling there'll be more to come but since there's something I don't like about the classic tank look I think they'll mostly be very early / ugly ones :smiling5: