• Start date

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
that looks very nice!
If you are looking for earlier/uglier tanks, then here are a few suggestions......................
HobbyBoss - WWI - French St. Chamond , Schneider Tanks, Russian T-24 Medium Tank, 30's - British Vickers Medium Tank ( any mark )
Meng - French Char 2C
Tamiya - French B1bis
The Meng & Tamiya may be a bit tricky to find, but the others are easy.
One of the downsides of these early tank models is that the track links are all individual, and can be tedious, not to say fiddly to assemble. I find that if you ignore the 'working' feature of the 'flexible' tracks, and make your own link & length runs, that simplifies things!
Dave ( insomnia..........)

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. The St Chamond was already on my radar, as well as the T-35 to go with this one, but I'll have a look at the others.

I've also been looking at the A7V. I know nothing about them but it certainly fits the ugly brief!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The A7V is the one you want if you’re looking to build the most boxy AFV ever constructed :smiling3: Even the M113 has nothing on it, because that at least has a nicely angled front plate.

If you’re up for a challenge I’ve got a Tauro A7V kit you can have for what it costs me to mail it to you, but I wouldn’t recommend you take me up on that offer unless you know what you’re getting into :smiling3: You’d be much better off with the rather more modern Takom kit, because at least that will probably fit correctly and won’t have individual link tracks that need steel pins inserted to link them together (I began trying to put the kit together with those tracks and closed the box back up when I couldn’t get two links together in several minutes’ worth of trying).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The St Chamond is certaily no beauty!dirtied 02.jpg
I agree with Jakko, the Tauro monstrosity isn't worth touching! Aside from the tracks, the suspension & interior are pure fantasy.............. The shell looks OK, so scratchbuild the rest!!!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Dave, I've seen your St Chamond before somewhere on here, in a picture with 2 other vehicles. I spend so much time searching old builds I come across all sorts.

Thanks for the offer Jakko but if that kit is as bad as you and Dave (and other internet comments) say I'd better steer clear! Smiling5.png I've seen the Meng A7V which has a full interior, not sure if that is the same as the Takom one. Quite pricey but looks like it will take a while so that balances the cost out. I watched their own video this morning of a full build & paint which might come in hand if I get around to it.

D

Deleted member 7181

That's the one! All three of those look like my kind of thing.

There are a few helicopters I want to build, and I'm still waiting for that Trumpeter fire truck, but I think there's enough unusual armour to keep me busy for a while.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Remember Andy what ever you do its for fun, and when guys on here pay a compliment its becauses its true.
As for the finish , the back would have more mud and other debris anyway. That rust look perfectly acceptable , I certainly like the color of the the track guards on the rear.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that John. My Autism is nowhere near as pronounced as my sons, but it still brings it's insecurities to the party!

I suppose one of the problems with painting really early stuff is the lack of colour pictures. It's a bit of a guessing game. There are still a few more things I want to do to this but I've found that leaving well alone for a bit gives me a better overall view. I get obsessed with one particular detail and need that time to step back and see the bigger picture :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks for the offer Jakko but if that kit is as bad as you and Dave (and other internet comments) say I'd better steer clear!
I don’t blame you :smiling3: When I decided, earlier this year, to try and sell some kits I know I’m never going to want to build, I decided against even including that Tauro kit with them because I don’t think anyone would want to buy it if they know what they’ll be getting, and I don’t want to sell it to someone who doesn’t.

I've seen the Meng A7V which has a full interior, not sure if that is the same as the Takom one.
I meant the Meng one, I got the manufacturers mixed up.

I suppose one of the problems with painting really early stuff is the lack of colour pictures. It's a bit of a guessing game.
The good side of that is that nobody can really call it wrong if you can point to reasonable sources for why you picked the colours you did.

That said, I’m under the impression that the Whippet in Brussels is in its original paint. If so, that gives a good starting point, though the question then is: how much did it change colour in the past hundred years?