Zvezda 1/35 T-34/85 & others.................

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Another quick question if i may,
I've just seen pics of a T-34 with 'bedspring armour', and I must admit i do like the way it looks, probably it's down to the 'just cobbled on on any old how' look,
If i were to grab a PE set of this could it be added to this 'model' without any alterations ?.. . Was it just added to a standard vehicle or is it a case of specially designed tanks fresh from the factory that were fitted with this extra armour.. ?..
(i'm basing this from the fun and games folk have working out which 'Panthers/Tigers had Zimmerit applied at the factory, field or not at all).

Once again many thanks for any help and guidance.. :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes definitely Berlin 1945. Used against being hit by a Panzerfaust and other hurled items from close quarters.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've just seen pics of a T-34 with 'bedspring armour', and I must admit i do like the way it looks, probably it's down to the 'just cobbled on on any old how' look,
Note that this was purpose-built armour, not literal bedsprings or just any old stuff stuck to the tank. Attachment varied a bit, but it appears to have been essentially standardised panels of armour.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice sunny morning here in South Gloucestershire - didn't feel like adding the final decals to my Junkers F.13, so I made a start on the T-34 hull.
I assembled the road wheels, ready for priming, there are tiny pins to locate the wheels, so the big holes line up and the hubs have a flat to orientate them
DSCF0936.JPG
I'll prime & basecoat these on the sprue, them beat up the rubber tyres a bit & detail paint.
The Zvezda hull is a flat pack ( deep draw tooling is much more expensive ) The sides need the spring boxes & springs adding, although it's hardly worth it! The upper hull side has the springs fitted!
DSCF0935.JPG
Once you add the suspension arms & the road wheels, you won't see any of that, - still, it locates the arms.
A note of caution, there are many similar parts, and needs attention to make sure you've got the right part.
A case in point, the suspension arms are in halves, and you have to study the instructions carefully to get the correct pairing, the parts may look alike, but better to use the correct parts!
DSCF0937.JPG

These aren't too bad, as you can see there are left & right handed arms, but some aren't as simple. The Zvezda instructions are a bit 'busy' and careful scrutiny is needed ( and a magnifying glass, some of the drawings are a bit tiny )
I'll assemble the hull this afternoon, leave to set overnight - then crank up the compressor for priming, I really like to finish the running gear & tracks before moving upwards............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I primed the hull, road wheels & tracks black, then after a few hours sprayed the AK Russian Green on the hull & wheels........................
DSCF0939.JPG

The tracks I sprayed with my own track colour, metallic grey, grey & a little dark earth - although that's not immediately apparent in the picture.
DSCF0940.JPG

Compressor working hard today, priming black, then the final gloss varnish coat on my Junkers F.13, then the green basecoat, and finally the tracks. I can start on the roadwheels tomorrow, adding nicks & scrapes on the tyres before detail painting. Looking at the way the tracks are presented, that shouldn't take me long, not like that ASU-57 I tortured myself with..................
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Dave,
From what you have seen is there anyway the suspension on this could be altered without too much work ?
I'm thinking of doing a Dio with it 'cresting' a pile of rubble'..possbly next to a ruined house..(if Miniart do a berlin style house).

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
the suspension can be easily altered - for example by shortening the springs in picture on post #28, that would enable the suspension arm ( and thus the roadwheel ) to pivot up. You wouldn't be able to use the tracks, though - straight runs top & bottom would prevent that, so AM tracks would be needed. MiniArt do some T-34 plastic track links ( if you can get hold of them ), otherwise metal tracks start getting expensive.................
Dave

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Chris,
the suspension can be easily altered - for example by shortening the springs in picture on post #28, that would enable the suspension arm ( and thus the roadwheel ) to pivot up. You wouldn't be able to use the tracks, though - straight runs top & bottom would prevent that, so AM tracks would be needed. MiniArt do some T-34 plastic track links ( if you can get hold of them ), otherwise metal tracks start getting expensive.................
Dave

Thanks mate, i hadn't thought about the tracks. .(been a busy day, just walked in from work, started this morning at half two........) maybe the MiniArt tracks might be searching for..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
I wanted to replace the vinyl tracks on my ICM T-34/76 - I had to search on ebay to get the individual links, although you can get the complete T34/85 running gear
https://miniart-models.com/products/35227-t-3485-running-gear-late-type/ seems to be a waste, as you already have the wheels/idlers/sprocket, but still cheaper than metal replacement!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Separate-link T-34 tracks are offered by a lot of makers, in plastic and metal (perhaps resin as well, I’m not sure), so it shouldn’t be that hard to find a set.

First Name
Kevin
Dave it’s looking good and I like the Russian green colour.

• Love
Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Road wheel tyres painted & added to the hull....................
DSCF0949.JPG
I generally just took the sharp edge off the tyres, then dinked & notched them at random

The track jig assembled
DSCF0950.JPG

And in use
DSCF0951.JPG
The links are such a good fit that they can be positioned easily, before gluing - that is the only problem - making sure you don't glue the tracks to the jig! You have to look at the instructions carefully, to see which way round the top run fits, then all falls into place, with the teeth neatly fitting into the jig.
Dave

First Name
Kevin
Great job on the wheels and tyres Dave. That track jig definitely makes life easier.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Kevin,
to be fair, the T-34 isn't the most difficult tank to add tracks to, and these fit so well together, that the jig is an additional luxury! Zvezda have thought this through well - I believe the same feature can be found on all their tanks with the same running gear - T-34/76, Su-85, Su-100 & Su-122..............
Dave