Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is now complete.....................................DSCF2157.JPG
DSCF2156.JPG
DSCF2155.JPGDSCF2154.JPGDSCF2160.JPGDSCF2161.JPG

And the Zvezda Heavyweight Trio.......................DSCF2158.JPG
The Armata, T-90MS & MSTA-S ( still the best AFV I've built! )

The Zvezda T-90MS is a very nice model - it's not easy to make, there are a lot of tiny parts - but the link & length tracks in the Zvezda style are easy to build, so one problem area is solved. The fit of parts is superb, no filler was used, no shrink or pin marks - there is a tiny bit of flash, just enough to interfere with fit, not immediately apparent. Getting the small bits off the sprues is tricky, you need a new scalpel blade!
I used J's Work Mask Scheme 2 - I only used it because I had it already! I won't buy any more masks for armoured vehicles, the lumps & bumps etc make them difficult to use - and, if, as I did, leaving off bits, so the mask works better just means more touching up afterwards. If you have references on how camouflage patterns are on both sides of a vehicle, then brush painting over a sprayed basecoat would be my preferred future method for hard edged schemes. I will be using masks on aircraft ( bought, or self made, decided by complexity ), smooth airframes lend themselves to the method.
You can pick up the Zvezda T-90MS for around £28 - good value for money, the detail level is such that aftermarket sets aren't really needed, I really enjoyed the build - having hand problems during the build was really frustrating...............
Thanks for dropping by the build & the completion pictures
Dave
ps I'll be starting on the Zvezda 1/144 Beriev Be-200 shortly

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Very nice indeed Dave. A vote of approval for Zvezda. Masks a probably much more appropriate for uncomplicated surfaces - planes etc.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good lineup, and good-looking models :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for sharing Dave. Well done.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great work work on this one David, and a nice addition to the collection.

Jim.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing I must point out is that none of the modern Zvezda models have any interior, apart from on the inside of the hatches. - Not even a perch for a driver or commander to settle on. It's of no great importance to me, but could be a dealbreaker to others - that's why you will probably have to pay twice the cost of the Zvezda for a model with a partial/complete interior!
Dave

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done Dave. That camo was not easy.

Nice little collection too.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks excellent Dave. Fantastic result. Great line up as well. You are really selling the modern Zvezda kits with these fine builds…..

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No brand snobbery with me Dave…..even the so called best manufacturers have some dogs in the line up…..and from what I’ve seen of Zvezda they are getting better and better.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve still got a couple at the bottom of the stash….at least forty five years old now….i used to think they were super detailed if they had a seat for him to sit in LOL…..
If the Sci Fi scratch build goes ahead I may finally have a use for them LOL…..

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Dave,
Just caught up on the build and can relate to the struggles you had with the fuel pipes (I reverted to solder wire) and the brush guards for the lights (Brass wire soldered in the end).
I admire the paint job, true the masks are not 100% but it saves all that time masking and then still getting the bleed through.
Hope the hand has settled down.
And another fine model and a credit to you.
Mike.