Zvezda 1/35 T-90MS

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whist I've been putting the final touches to my Viking, I've decided what my next build will be:
t-90ms 01.jpg
459 parts - and no individual track links! I made the original T-90 model from Zvezda in 2015/16, and I can't remember much about how it went together...........................
t-90.jpg
That's the only picture I can find - the others must be on my old computer!
The T-90MS is a much updated version of the above - I guess the running gear will probably be the same, but I think probably that's it.
For those who are unfamiliar with how Zvezda handle the tracks, this may be of interest......................
I'll put up some sprue shots & some detail piccies, right after I reveal the finished Viking!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
OK, sprue pictures
DSCF2036.JPGDSCF2037.JPGDSCF2039.JPGDSCF2041.JPGDSCF2042.JPGDSCF2043.JPG
Sprues, clean & crisp, no flash ( I forgot the small clear plastic sprue for the prisms etc )
DSCF2055.JPG
Instructions typical Zvezda, they can be a but 'busy' and need careful study.
DSCF2054.JPG
One Colour scheme - but they show only one side! You have to guess what the other side looks like!
I do have this, however:
DSCF2056.JPG
I think it's supposed to be the same scheme ( or similar ) - but purple? - I'll take that under advisement!
DSCF2057.JPG
Never had much luck with these masks..............................
Next some detail shots:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
DSCF2044.JPG
Zvezda sometimes produce parts exactly to scale - which means very delicate parts that are a struggle to remove from the sprue in one pieceDSCF2045.JPG
Not a hint of flash, just careful clean up of ingates needed.DSCF2046.JPG
Pipework for the rear external fuel drums
DSCF2047.JPG
DSCF2048.JPGDSCF2049.JPGDSCF2050.JPG
A hint of flash on the drive sprocket........................

DSCF2051.JPG
DSCF2052.JPG
No visible ejector pin or sink marks.
As is usual for Zvezda, no PE - a piece of plastic mesh is supplied for grilles. ( no PE is actually available for the Zvezda model ). The 1/35 T-90MS is also modelled by Trumpeter & Tiger Model at roughly twice the price of the Zvezda offering ( but hey! they have individual track links! )
Construction will begin shortly
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I shall of course grab a seat.
There's a lot of sprues there Dave .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 1/35 T-90MS is also modelled by Trumpeter & Tiger Model at roughly twice the price of the Zvezda offering ( but hey! they have individual track links! )
That’s yet another reason to go for the Zvezda kit …

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
There are 47 stages of construction & I'm starting at 27. The first sections are the turret, that can wait! - the hull is a flatpack assembly, no really deep mouldings in this model. All parts fitting together well after minor clean up.
DSCF2059.JPG
I'm getting this to the stage where I can prime & basecoat the lower hull & running gear ( I've assembled the road wheels ready for this ) The wheels etc. all seem to be in the base sand colour - ie. the camouflage only starts on the skirts & upper hull. Quite detailed mouldings that aren't going to be seen..............
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
It looks very nice Dave,

:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Zvezda are really knocking out some beautiful armour kits, my current fave being the T-34/85 that we both did a while back, clean crisp mouldings and plenty of detail to whet the appetite..and this looks no different from them,

You may even make me add this kit to the 'I need this list',

I'm sure @John Race will certainly get excited at seeing some more Soviet metal on here, however he might need cheering up a bit as there doesn't seem to be much 4BO on this bad boy..which may put a dampener on things for him..:crying:

(Maybe you could just show a generic bottle of russian green paint on the thread somewhere..) :tongue-out3:

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That looks a very nice kit. Lots of parts so that probably means fiddly. The tracks are interesting and it will be nice to see how the masks work, if you decide to use them.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
That looks a very nice kit. Lots of parts so that probably means fiddly. The tracks are interesting and it will be nice to see how the masks work, if you decide to use them.
Jim
Jim,
in the past, I've tried to use the masks over the completed model - this means that there are loads of humps & bumps, all providing large areas to bleed through. I'm going to try & use the masks before the fine detail bits are added. This means a bit more work, touching up the fine details to suit the background, after positioning them. Unfortunately, tanks aren't like planes, which are generally smooth & curved - there are lots of channels and raised areas, sharp angles on a tank all of which cause masks to fail ( as the ones I've used in the past have done ). It's not a major disaster, but you end up with a soft edged camo scheme
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The chassis & roadwheels have all been primed & waiting their basecoat.
The tracks on these Zvezda models is interesting - it's link and length, but in a very precise way.
The return run ( on the top of the wheels ) is supplied as two bits - the track links & the hollow guide horns. asymmetric pins mean you can't fit them the wrong way round. The top run isn't exactly flat, but you have to hold it against a rule to confirm that..........DSCF2060.JPG

The drive sprockets are keyed to fit to the chassis only one way. This fixes the tooth position & starts the location of all the track links. The curved parts of the track are formed by the curved form of the guide horns & two curved portions of track - 4 sections.DSCF2061.JPG

The trickiest part is assembling the guide horns to the intermediate lengths ( ie roadwheel to either idler or sprocket ). Due to the torsion bar suspension, the wheels are slightly offset fore and aft, one side to the other, so these lengths are all slightly different. I chose to assemble them on the sprue, so I could tell one from another....DSCF2062.JPG
In spite of my careful attention - I made a mistake - two of the track lengths are #6 & #9 - the numbers are on the other side of the sprue to where the guide horns fit, and yes, I managed to fit the guide horns for #9 onto the link #6. Luckily I was using Contacta & was able to prise them off without damage. when I realised ( about 10 mins! ).
The tracks are now ready for priming & should fit exactly the chassis ( famous last words! ) - no extra links being needed ( I did this on the early T-90, so I'm confident! ).
I was looking at the Tiger Model T-90MS instructions - it does have 'working' suspension, and individual track links, consisting of separate link, guide horn & end connectors, which makes me very happy to be making the simple Zvezda model. I wonder how many modellers take advantage of the poseable suspension & track links?
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a busy period with the airbrush, the chassis and roadwheels have their basecoat, and the tracks are primed
DSCF2063.JPG
I used AK Gen3 Dark Sand for the chassis etc., and my own homebrew for the tracks. I want to finish the lower hull, complete with tracks before moving up.
Next up will be painting the tyres on the roadwheels - a job for no interruptions, and a steady hand. That might be Friday, as I've another long session tomorrow with my dentist, late morning - Oh Joy!!!
Dave