Zvezda 1/35 T-90MS

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Just keep on adding the bits............................
DSCF2087.JPG
Sometimes Zvezda take things a bit too much to scale - the supports for the bar armour, in real life hefty steel 'H' sections scale down to rather thin plastic. I CA'd the bars on, but they won't take much clumsy handling.
Next up is the rear plate, with the auxy. fuel tanks & associated piping - it looks very complicated, but the fit up to now has been so good, I'm confident I can get the hull finished tomorrow
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking really fine Dave. Love the Camo

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thought I was going to finish the hull today - then I came across the fuel tanks, then the headlamp brush guards..................
DSCF2095.JPG
Pipes to the auxy tanks - a bit of a bugger to get off the sprue - and took CA to persuade it to stay on the tanks
DSCF2097.JPG
Then came the brush guards - each in two pieces - I struggled with these for a long time, this is the state of play at the moment.....................DSCF2096.JPG
I'll have to wait for everything to dry, and my hands to steady down ( probably tomorrow ), then see if I can get those bars to line up. First time on this model that I wish there was PE.....................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thought I was going to finish the hull today - then I came across the fuel tanks, then the headlamp brush guards..................
View attachment 435706
Pipes to the auxy tanks - a bit of a bugger to get off the sprue - and took CA to persuade it to stay on the tanks
View attachment 435707
Then came the brush guards - each in two pieces - I struggled with these for a long time, this is the state of play at the moment.....................View attachment 435708
I'll have to wait for everything to dry, and my hands to steady down ( probably tomorrow ), then see if I can get those bars to line up. First time on this model that I wish there was PE.....................
Dave
Yes, but PE would be flat, and look wrong, whereas those are round so really look the part Dave.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave despite the issues you're currently encountering. Not an expert by any means but I think Tim is right about the PE being too flat.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, but PE would be flat, and look wrong, whereas those are round so really look the part Dave.
Agreed, which is why I don’t like using photoetched parts for these kinds of things. If it’s flat on the real thing, sure. If it’s round, then don’t replace it with etched parts. (Though I have been thinking that it might be possible to make them round by applying enough superglue to the surface, but I’ve never tried.)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agreed, which is why I don’t like using photoetched parts for these kinds of things. If it’s flat on the real thing, sure. If it’s round, then don’t replace it with etched parts. (Though I have been thinking that it might be possible to make them round by applying enough superglue to the surface, but I’ve never tried.)
PVA works better due to the beading effect imparted by the surface tension of the water in the glue….you’ll never get them truly round though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Finally finished the hull......................
DSCF2099.JPG
There are still loads of touch ups needed - but I'll put this aside & make a start on the turret - hopefully I'll be able to complete the touch ups all at the same time, after the turret is assembled. The T-90MS is taking quite a bit of work - I reckon the turret will take just as long as the hull, its rather complicated. I haven't come across any real problems - some parts are very delicate & need careful handling, but it isn't for the beginner - the sheer number of parts would put them off!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's looking good Dave.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The plumbing is surely a step above.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done Dave. Well done.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
On to the turret - in Zvezda style, it's a flat pack assembly
DSCF2100.JPG
The mating edges carefully cleaned & ten minutes later....................
DSCF2101.JPG
The fit was almost perfect - just needed TET wicked into the joints. The split barrel will, as always need the joint lines treating, but not that bad.

Further additions - the reactive armour front panels fitted, a little flimsy, I might add a few spots of CA to strengthen the joints. Stowage box & rear stowage basket added.
DSCF2102.JPG
It's going to be a real problem, deciding when the paint masks should be applied.
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking very good Dave, I did mine the opposite way starting with the turret before the hull.

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Boy oh boy - just keeping on adding bits ( the sprues don't seem to be emptying very quickly )................................
DSCF2117.JPG
DSCF2118.JPG
The reactive armour on the sides of the turrets mounts on big brackets, then covered over by another panel of armour.......................
DSCF2119.JPG
One side, the armour added, the other will be the same. The barrel has been cleaned up & primed, dry fitted.
I'm getting close to the point of priming, basecoating & deploying the masks. Most of the bits to be added on the top of the turret ( like the commanders hatch, sights, remote mg. ) stick up a long way & make the masks impossible to use.....................
Dave

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Coming along great Dave, they must have modified the kit since I got mine as the rear stowage on the turret was made from bar armour on my kit.

Andy.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Coming along great Dave, they must have modified the kit since I got mine as the rear stowage on the turret was made from bar armour on my kit.

Andy.
Andy,
Oh yes it's there, but I won't be fitting the bar armour until I've finished masking - the turret will be delicate enough without adding the spindly bar bits!
Dave