Zvezda 1/350 'Golden Hind'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A simple model, but one that has potential................
After finishing the Knyaz Suvorov, I felt I needed something small, and simple :
zvezda golden hind.jpg
These are intended for wargaming use, but are surprisingly detailed, the Golden Hind has 65 parts & will be 104mm long. It can be made as a waterline model, or full hull. Luckily a lot of the fancy bulwark painting is supplied as decals. Accuracy? - Since there are no definitive drawings of this ship, I would say - looks right! Similarly, I suspect most of the paint colours are guesses so I'm going to use what I think would be used ( ie cannons would be bronze not iron ). I believe I picked this up on ebay for <£10 delivered, worth a look!
I'll put up some sprue shots tomorrow, there is some quite petite detail!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
An interesting build Dave. It will be good to follow along.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
DSCF1763.JPG
What's in the box..............

Sprue shots
DSCF1752.JPG
The sails are pretty thin, but I might replace with some parchment paper......................
DSCF1753.JPG
Full hull, or wargaming base

DSCF1754.JPG
Shrouds, ratlines & cannon

DSCF1758.JPG
Main Sprue

Parts are crisp, well moulded & no flash.............
Some detail shots
DSCF1755.JPGDSCF1756.JPG
A bit overscale ( ! ), but as good as it will get at 1/350!
DSCF1759.JPGDSCF1760.JPGDSCF1761.JPG

And the decals.....................
DSCF1751.JPG
Just as well, I wouldn't even attempt the fancy work!

The photos of the model on the back of the box look a little garish - the art work on the front looks far more like it to my mind!
One of those models that has a lot of potential - being a snap-together, I don't think fit will be a problem.......
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting little build Dave. The shrouds etc look a bit chunky as you say, but replacing them with AM parts would probably cost twice that of the model!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Interesting little build Dave. The shrouds etc look a bit chunky as you say, but replacing them with AM parts would probably cost twice that of the model!
Tim,
I actually found the product
shrouds.jpg
Even the maker didn't have them in stock! - just as well!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
When it says "Snap Fit" on the box does that mean that as you will probably use glue you'll have to trim off the snap fit attachment bits? I ask because the sprue shots look just like a normal kit. For it's size the moulding does look quite detailed.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
When it says "Snap Fit" on the box does that mean that as you will probably use glue you'll have to trim off the snap fit attachment bits? I ask because the sprue shots look just like a normal kit. For it's size the moulding does look quite detailed.
Jim
Jim,
I probably will ease the holes, so that it's not a 'snap' fit, but a tight fit! As long as the snap fit bits aren't in sight, I'll leave well alone - I think just a touch of TET will see this firmly assembled. The puzzling question will be 'when to paint?' - it almost seems that I can do the vast majority on the sprue, I'll have to sit down & consider this......
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a relaxing time painting the basecoats - assembly of the gundeck(s). All the holes needed easing, as I'm sure I would have broken some bits, trying to force them.
DSCF1764.JPG
I painted each cannon mount, before adding to the deck, then painted the bronze cannon itself afterwards.......
It's intriguing to see how it all fits together. As would be expected with a click together model the fit is very good.
DSCF1765.JPG
The deck hasn't turned out the colour I expected, I'll have to give it a bit of a wash before going any further. Some bits have been left off for now, as they need a bit of fancy painting & maybe the decals adding before final assembly - the hull sides definitely fall into that category..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Snap fit doesn't mean easy assembly! I decided that I'd better assemble the hull, before adding decals, as I suspect that I would have removed them whilst wrestling with it - all 85mm of it!
DSCF1766.JPG
It does fit together - but it's so small that you don't have much to grab onto! I dislodged one of the cannon, but it's not visible anyway! I'm glad I opened up the location holes a bit, I'm pretty sure I'd have broken something, getting the hull halves & deck to unite! Now I can start to add the decals & some fancy painting..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Whilst the 'sea' is drying on my HMS Spiraea, I decided to return to adding the decals on this tiny thing
DSCF1793.JPG
To say that they're a pain is putting it mildly - I've got them all on, a bit skewiff in places, but the thing is only 85mm long. These 'wargaming' models are certainly not for a beginner - I'm going to lie down in a darkened room with an icepack on my head!
Dave