Zvezda 1/350 Knyaz Suvorov - Ill fated Russian Battleship.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris,
Oh yes - almost two bridges, one forward, the other aft. They are rather open & spindly, and need to be painted before fitting, and it's a bit of a puzzle in which order they are added. The instructions just show where the parts fit, leaving you to work out when to paint bits that become inaccessible later ( and also invisible! ).
It's proving to be a enjoyable build so far, I almost feel it may be worth getting another, now that I'm discovering the pitfalls and shortcuts! I might just lurk on ebay for another................. ( but, then again.........)
Dave
edit - I still have about 2/3 of the parts on the sprues ( all the tiny bits! )
WELL Dave in my opinion go for another as i im enjoying looking at the present ship an now you know the pitfalls an shortcuts you may as well put them to good use as you say you should be able to do an even better job on the next one
chris

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Another of my many half-finished projects, after he fell off the shelf and broke the EB torpedo net shelves
Always wanted to him on the day of Tsushima, with coal dust dirty decks and fouled hull
So, now I'm, heh , 'aboard' here
And looks good, though the decks look a little 'unbleached'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Started looking on ebay for another Suvorov/Borodino/Oriol - it seems that these are in short supply! A look at retail sites wasn't any more fruitful! Just as well, I really don't need to add any more to the stash............... :rolling:
Dave

• Sad
Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, might be worth while trying Scale Models shop. John might be able to source one for you.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Ron,
It was only a passing fancy, really - I don't really want to duplicate models!
Cheers
Dave
I did see one build, I think in Finescale Modeller, where the builder put on an entirely different admirals' walk and a few other detail differences on his Suvarov, apparently just because he felt like it - Believe me, I've got enough pictures of all five Borodinos to know the only really significant differences between them were when the Japanese rebuilt the captured Orel as Iwami. He looked a lot 'cleaner'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a few hours work............................... not a lot to show!
DSCF1709.JPG
There are a lot of parts in the bridge work - most of which will be unseen, but they have to be painted on the off chance that they may be visible. One more level to add on the aft bridge, 2 on the main bridge....................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That grey your using goes a long way to make him look 'used'
Chris,
the idea of using dark grey is when you are weathering, you have an ability to go a bit darker - if I used black, as the instructions say, then I only have the option to lighten. That's aside from the consideration of colours and scale distance, which is another can of worms that I'm not going near!! :thinking:
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Delving further into my stash, I find that I have at least two 1/350 shelf queens............. One is the Revell Emden, which seems to be missing one funnel, the other is the Zvezda Varyag ( both of these have been waterlined ). I must have had a fancy for waterline models, which wore off! I think I may pick up the Varyag & see what I can do with it, after the Suvorov is finished - the main reason is the colour scheme.....................
varyag.jpg
White hull - maybe a little tricky to carry off, but I'll have a go...................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice....she’ll look great in white and buff. Potemkin next?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice....she’ll look great in white and buff. Potemkin next?
Tim,
I do have a Potemkin in the stash - it's more of a curiosity than a buildable model ( by Ogonek ), it brings to mind the cartoon ships by Meng, which are more accurate & detailed!!!!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a few days away from the bench, further progress - it doesn't look much different, but the number of parts left on the sprues is going down.
DSCF1710.JPG
I've missed out a few details - they would have been invisible when all the deck houses are added!
I think I will have to start on the many boats - as I add parts, the stowage area is getting difficult to reach easily. The aft cranes/derricks,especially, as they will really block off access.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After a couple of weeks away from the bench, due to poor health, I finally restarted on this - I started painting the boats. I made such a hash of this I got the airbrush out & reprimed them. My concentration time is rather low at the moment, but at least I'm staying awake during the day! There are loads of small parts to add, but really the boats must be added next, as things like cranes, derricks & davits will fence that area in..................
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Had an enjoyable read through Dave, liking the work on the sea around the ship.
Sorry to read you've been unwell, hope your feeling better now.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I must have been right behind JR as I have also had an enjoyable read through and I must say that I tip my hat to your efforts so far....well done Sir.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A touch of the little and when you feel like it seems to be the way to go ,sorry things haven't been too good but thankfully it seems your perking up a bit now thanks for sharing this one thoroughly enjoying it. Dave