Zvezda 1/48 Su-57

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I waited a while for this kit to be released, then waited for the Quinta cockpit set, and then the camouflage masks, but eventually I got all the elements together and could crack on.

It's my first time doing a modern jet so there was a surprising amount to learn, but I'm happy for a first attempt. Fit was spot on as usual for a recent Zvezda and parts count was also high with plenty of spare armaments left in the box, different exhaust nozzles and control surfaces for an in-flight model, that kind of thing. There's also a very nicely detailled boarding ladder supplied, but it's about 10mm short of the ground so I'll have to scratch up an extension. I left the figure out so as not to hide the lovely Quinta seat details.

Overall I'm very happy with the finished product. There are a few areas that could be neater, but thankfully the camera doesn't show them up much. The fancy missiles with 8 colours and a host of decals were a masking challenge, but a fun one. I almost feel like I'm ready to tackle a big 1/32 jet, but will definitely need a bigger area to take the pictures as even this was a squeeze!

N4fqgiZ.jpg

e4EqnJh.jpg

7RYAhXc.jpg

lkkkvIy.jpg

r6Pa5Zm.jpg

rJC49Xa.jpg

BWPTqOB.jpg

ZDpYYtE.jpg

o4ymEwx.jpg

BBX5Tv1.jpg

Nxiusrr.jpg

gS95vAr.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
WOW, WOW and more WOW Scratchy,

That is one beautiful wing thingy you have made Sir!!! The finish is tops and the details are fantastic!!! A most excellent job Andy!!!

I am going to take up knitting now.........................

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really fine job Andy. You’re getting good at this modelling lark aren’t you :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful build andy , the paint job and cockpit are superb. The new Zvezda kits are excellent arent they , im looking at getting the new tool 1/72 version of this , what mask set did you use and do they do a 1/72 set? Also any chance of showing how the digital camo is done , ie. dark first then light or vice versa . Brilliant work , cheers tony

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I concur with all previous praise and...
Wow too

Also, nice to see a 'plane unweathered. I mean, the thing is brand new!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
that is brilliant! I'm afraid I wouldn't have the nerve to try the digital camo bit, masks or no masks! These modern Zvezda models are very good - just a bit more cockpit/seat/panel detail and there'd be no reason for AM parts...............
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

WOW, WOW and more WOW Scratchy,

That is one beautiful wing thingy you have made Sir!!! The finish is tops and the details are fantastic!!! A most excellent job Andy!!!

I am going to take up knitting now.........................

Prost
Allen
I take it that you like it Allen :smiling3: Thanks very much, and I'll have a pair of socks and a balaclava when you're ready.... :tongue-out2:

Really fine job Andy. You’re getting good at this modelling lark aren’t you :thumb2:
Thanks Tim. I keep thinking that if I stopped flitting around different subjects and concentrated on one I'd get better and better at it, but I much prefer the variety and it keeps it interesting.

Andy,
That is a beautiful neat result mate top work.
Thanks Paul, very kind of you.

Very nicely done Andy.
Pete
Thanks Pete. It was a real joy to build so perhaps that is showing in the finished result.

Beautiful build andy , the paint job and cockpit are superb. The new Zvezda kits are excellent arent they , im looking at getting the new tool 1/72 version of this , what mask set did you use and do they do a 1/72 set? Also any chance of showing how the digital camo is done , ie. dark first then light or vice versa . Brilliant work , cheers tony
Thanks Tony. This is the best one of theirs I've built yet. None of the mistakes in the instructions that I've become accustomed to, and only a few areas where they seem to have used more parts than necessary just to make up the count. The weapons bay doors being one of them. Surely it would have been easy to mould the hinges on the part, instead of giving me 20 separate ones to fit and align :smiling5:

The masks were from SX-Art. I'd never heard of them but they were the only ones available at the time. Being vinyl I was worried about them peeling the paint, but a quick chat with Barry put my mind at ease and I needn't have worried as they were spot on.

MRP haven't got the exact colours out for these yet but I used the Su-35 light grey for the underside and followed it around to the top. After applying the masks I used a home brew from Mr Color of German Grey mixed with US navy blue, lightened here & there with some RAF sky grey for highlights. Perfect for a Russian jet ;)

xxlunE1.jpg

Very nice indeed Andy.
Jim
Thanks Jim, much appreciated

I concur with all previous praise and...
Wow too

Also, nice to see a 'plane unweathered. I mean, the thing is brand new!
Thanks Chris. Yes, it's (roughly) the colours of one of the early prototypes, so unlikely to be scruffy.

Andy,
that is brilliant! I'm afraid I wouldn't have the nerve to try the digital camo bit, masks or no masks! These modern Zvezda models are very good - just a bit more cockpit/seat/panel detail and there'd be no reason for AM parts...............
Dave
Thanks Dave.

I've seen some debate as to whether Zvezda are deliberately leaving out some detail, knowing that many will add AM anyway. It would be a brave move!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Lovely model Andy, I like that modern camo a lot :thumb2:
Steven

D

Deleted member 7181

Joe, Dave, Mike, thanks very much for your great comments.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent Andy. Both the build and the paintwork.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is a very good-looking model … Even with masks, that camo must have been interesting to mask?