Zvezda 1/72 MI-24P Hind

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Decal Day, not one I'd been looking forward to, especially as even the guy that did the box art build wasn't crazy enough to fit many of the smaller ones!

When the whole decal is smaller than a single word on your scalpel blade you know it's going to be fun :smiling5:

F37nvmc.jpg

Two of the under-wing ordinance pods, about 1.5" long, had 6 decals each

Xk7bY4E.jpg

Each of the hatches or doors had something on it

n2KYEA4.jpg

But I think it looks the part now.

s06sAXM.jpg

P9KSAfx.jpg

Only messed up on a couple, and they were on the pylons. They now just have markings on the outboard sides rather than inner & outer. No big deal and after my previous disasters with decals I'll take that all day long. There are yet more decals to fit on the main and tail rotor blades, but I haven't even started building them yet so there's more fiddly fun to come.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With those decals on, I kind of expect the side doors to pop open to reveal a TV camera :smiling3:

(The text actually reads VVS ROSSIY, for Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily Rossiy, “Russian Military Air Forces”.)

Getting all those stencils on can be a real pain, though the end result is usually (:smiling3:) worth the trouble. It certainly looks the part on this one.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I feel your pain! My phantom had nearly 300 decals, the majority of which were tiny!
As Jakko says, they add to the scale effect....if you have the patience.

And that hind looks the business. Russian stuff has never appealed to me but you’re making it look fantastic.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Worth the effort Andy, it looks great. I must admit though, you can't see any stencils on the one at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry .
P1110604.JPG
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Aww, come on Andy,

You are now a semi master at the art of applying and the placement of decals tiny and bigger!!! After you do the rotors, you will get your master's degree in this in this dark art and the sky is the limit!!! This is really one bad Hind you have built here...………...

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Worth the effort Andy, it looks great. I must admit though, you can't see any stencils on the one at the Midland Air Museum in Coventry .

Thanks Pete. That one seems to have a few other rather important bits missing too...

Thanks Chris, glad you like it.

Allen, you're going to make me blush if you carry on with kind words like that! :smiling4: I did manage to get the rotors together tonight but some of the parts were just too small to hold and clean up. Mould lines are virtually invisible to the naked eye but the camera shows them up when zoomed in so far so I'll give the glue plenty of time to harden up then I'll clean up where I can before paint.

Qh8djdu.jpg

y5BL1ZT.jpg

15 or 16 parts there.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Joe. It's got me itching to do something bigger, like a large scale modern jet, and put an outlandish colour scheme on it. :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Disaster :smiling5:

Came home from work and decided to clean up the rotors and get some primer on. So far so good (apart from the picture, lol)

18MEWX4.jpg

I then thought I might as well get the first of several colours on, so they could dry overnight and be ready for masking tomorrow evening. This is the silver that goes along the leading edge. I did it first as it'll be a decent base for the other colours that will follow.

8K6VvBd.jpg

Shortly after that picture is when it all went wrong. In my haste to get this done before I was summoned for dinner I had held the main rotor in a crocodile clip. The flexing of the blades as I painted them and the sharp teeth of the clip meant that as I flipped them over for a final check the clip chomped it's way through the main shaft that connects this lot to the gearbox. The rotors went one way and the offcut went through a wormhole into another dimension, leaving me with a little stub that's far too short :sad:

gt9xuDe.jpg

I'm quite sure I can fix it with some drilling and a bit of wire, as a rotor-less helicopter definitely wasn't in my plan, but for now I've just cleaned my airbrush, locked up the shed, and walked away.

Lesson learned: Don't try and rush, there's always tomorrow :smiling3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
I have also mucked things up by trying to go to quick, but the idea of drilling out and pinning will do the trick. It would probably paid you to do this anyway there is a lot of weight there.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Just when it was all going so well!
Just a minor setback though, the drill and pin won't take long.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm hoping so Paul, and Pete

One concern is that part was quite a long pin that runs all the way through, and was almost the backbone that the other flimsy parts fitted around. I'll just have to cross my fingers that drilling it out won't cause the rest of it to fall apart!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
My only advice is to start with small drills and work up to the desired size to reduce the chance of the drill grabbing and putting to much strain on the plastic.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ouch! Drilling it out and inserting a piece of metal rod sounds like the best solution to me, too. If you can get away with not gluing it into the helicopter but only to the rotor, this may even turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as it might just prevent handling (or dusting :smiling3:) damage later on.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm quite sure I can fix it with some drilling and a bit of wire, as a rotor-less helicopter definitely wasn't in my plan, but for now I've just cleaned my airbrush, locked up the shed, and walked away.

Lesson learned: Don't try and rush, there's always tomorrow :smiling3:

Andy, spoken like a true gentleman!!! It's all good and tomorrow will be even better...

Prost
Allen

PS, do you need some 35°C heat sent your way??? I got way too much here at the moment......…...

D

Deleted member 7181

PS, do you need some 35°C heat sent your way??? I got way too much here at the moment......…...

I'm sure around this time last year we were going through a very rare heatwave. At the minute it's just rain, rain, rain! If you send us a portion of that heat over it might even things up for both of us :smiling5:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Andy, I relearn this lesson about every week. I live for the organizing & construction. The research, planning, collecting potential bits to add and constructing the model is what brings me joy. The decals, painting & weathering are chores expected to complete the model, so I usually rush them to my chagrin. 95F in my back yard today. 71F in the man cave. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

I think I've sorted it :cool:

Following Pauls advice and starting small, I eventually worked my way up to a 1mm drill bit. The wire I have is a tight push fit, so should be perfect. There was very little meat left on the little stub though, but luckily a delivery from Scale Model Shop dropped today which included some 2mm OD 1mm ID styrene tubing.

I should be able to use that to make a sleeve to replace the stub and space the rotors the correct distance from the gearbox. I'll also drill down into the 'box for the wire to run right through. That's for another day though, I need a glass of red to celebrate :smiling5:

6SeuYLg.jpg

Oh, and today's bonus footage - a little Warhammer tank type thing for my lad (a Plagueburst Crawler I'm told). Black primed for shadows, Russian Green top coat, and a bit of highlighting. He'll be doing the details with a hairy stick and I'll try and get some finished shots in the appropriate forum section.

f5vAYTU.jpg