Zvezda 1/72 MI-24P Hind

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Made a start on this one today. There's some great detail in the parts and the mouldings look nice and crisp. Lovely box art of a completed model showing what's possible when you know what you're doing.

NMsicN9.jpg

cU4AIj7.jpg

YzA7yMV.jpg

DLDIGqm.jpg

8Zbf6jJ.jpg

Started putting the cockpit together and began to wonder why on earth I'd picked 1/72

2tNDx2g.jpg

Had a jiggle about and I can just get the crew in afterwards to make painting easier. The instructions say to paint them first and fit now as the guy in the rear is holding both controls, but a couple of times in and out and I think I'll be ok. Figures have been outsourced to my first born as that's his thing.

XM90HGU.jpg

But I didn't get much further. Cockpit is full of decals with not much room to apply them so I'll have to splash some paint around, get those done, then finish putting it together.

zAH5kI2.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
267 parts! - there look like a whole load of tiny bits - are you going to build it build it with cowlings open? I've never made a Zvezda 1/72 model - yet - just 1/48 & 1/35. Their later models have really come up to Far East standards, short of adding PE..........
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I think it would be a shame to hide all of that detail Dave so almost certainly having the cowlings open. I'd considered one side open, the other closed, but I think that might look odd.

With all of those small parts I get the feeling this will keep me busy for a while!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Andy,
Another kit I’d like to build at some point (I say that far too often:smiling5:). Look forward to this.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'd considered one side open, the other closed, but I think that might look odd.
Not if you put a figure of a mechanic on top of the machine, near the open cowling :smiling3: Of course, that pretty much precludes having the crew in the cockpit.

D

Deleted member 7181

Welcome aboard guys, I hope I can do this one justice.

Jakko, it's going to look a bit strange with the crew in and cowlings open I know, but I'll try and come up with a Ron/Spanner style scenario to justify it.

Maybe they have jumped into the cockpit after a hearty lunch, ready for that afternoons exercise, but the groundcrew are running a little late after their local football teams match ran into extra time. I'm sure they'll be along soon to button her up ready for flight, before taking a celebratory beer after a last minute winner.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh boy the Rabble are out in force to night.
Yes Andy I had the same thought with several 1/72 builds, have retired from even thinking about it now. Looks good clean mouldings so should be more fun.

D

Deleted member 7181

Good of you to pop in John.

Laid a bit of black primer down in the office. Instructions call for it to be all black but it just swallowed all of the details so I added a thickish wash of dark grey later to lighten things up a bit. Instrument panels needed to be Humbrol Emerald under the decals but I didn't have any of that so Mr Color Gloss Green was used instead. (sorry for the blurry picture)

dkVxxxA.jpg

Then onto the decals. I splashed out and bought the dynamic duo from microscale and found it so much easier to work with than the Vallejo I'd used previously. Also started a bit of detail painting, guessing at what colour "duck egg blue" was, and failing. Will rectify that tomorrow.

B5FaqNJ.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Cockpit done, with (basecoated) crew in place for a test fit

RLzKoV0.jpg

z9MANex.jpg

I managed to lose the silver joystick somewhere in the process so remade one out of wire. These super zoomed in photos don't do me any favours :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

9 separate pieces made up the main gearbox.

QnuNb4R.jpg

After a splash of black surfacer to create shadows (hopefully) it got a few light coats of a home-brew duck egg blue. A bit of dry brushing, some detail painting and it got placed in the engine compartment, which, along with the interior had been painted light gull grey and given a dirty grey wash. 'Box isn't glued into place as there's a small margin for error on the angle, so I'm waiting until the engines are ready and it'll all go together as one. Might add a bit of grime as it's looking a bit too clean

LMY5oN2.jpg

HYMD13y.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Andy,

Like Mick, I'm late here too! Hell, I'd be late to my own funeral. Loved the Hind and the sound of it flying patrol, Fully armed, around the Berlin Wall in 1985. Only on the east side of course. Great job so far Sir and looking forward to more……...

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the replies chaps, got plenty more done today.

I started by putting the engines together. Nearest colour I had was Burnt Iron, so they got a lick of that. Didn't get any pictures but the internal spinners and shaft are bright silver.

WgBsG9O.jpg

Had these bits to fit. Not sure what they are but they were solid lumps, whereas on real photos they are hollowed out, like some kind of supplimentary exhaust, so I got a 1.6mm drill out and took the most blurry picture possible of the result!

lhD9kJ9.jpg

And here are the engines in place. As you can see the main gearbox leans forward to line up with them. It looked wrong when it was on it's own which is why I waited to glue it down, just to be sure.

3sNqQ6X.jpg

R1FNhQ8.jpg

I wasn't happy with the ugly seam down the engines but at this size there was no point in trying to sand it out, so I had a plan to disguise it instead. I split some 7/0.20mm wire down to the individual conductors and put in a few runs of that.

NA4UIBM.jpg

Not perfect, but much better.

I also made a start on painting the interior parts ready for the fuselage to go together. I'm starting to appreciate good engineering in kits and this is a decent example. Only one of the many ejector pin holes will actually be visible when the model is together. It's much smaller than the others and pretty much hidden between 2 floors in the back corner of the interior, so you'd have to look really hard to find it anyway. Someone has clearly thought about the placement of these.

Yv581zD.jpg

And the final bit of IP which goes in at a later stage. I'm getting more confident with decals and cut this into 3 pieces to make fitting easier, and trimmed the carrier film as much as possible. Not too long ago I never thought I'd be doing things like that!

NIfHGtl.jpg