• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy
Looking good think I’ll follow along too. I’m really leaning towards 1/72 scale these days I like 1/48 the best but it’s just so big but I can live with for now

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Lee. Easier to find a home for when finished too.

I'm only a few models in but I'm already starting to wonder where I'm going to put them all. Lord knows how you guys that have been this for years get on!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy , looking good, nice idea on the decals too. As for hiding the mould line, a very neat idea with the wire .:thumb2:

Now feeding of the Rabble, mostly we bring our own biscuits, though there is likely to be trouble if Steve Jones sits on the packet of Garibaldi's again. Supplying of drinks is again a troublesome thing, just offer coffee and tea ,or you will find out bursts of drunkeness in the second row .

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah, thanks John, I was wondering about refreshments. My wife has finished all of the gin so it'll be hot beverages only, which I'm glad to hear is suitable. The staff are away on their summer vacation so I'll have to serve out myself. I was going to break out the best bone china since it's my first time officially hosting The Rabble, but given your reputation for rowdiness I'll use the builders tin mugs instead.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I wasn't happy with the ugly seam down the engines but at this size there was no point in trying to sand it out, so I had a plan to disguise it instead. I split some 7/0.20mm wire down to the individual conductors and put in a few runs of that.
You can scrape these off with a knife quite easily, though it will be somewhat laborious because of the ridges on the engine. I hardly ever sand seams, except on things like tank gun barrels and similar perfectly round items.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm only a few models in but I'm already starting to wonder where I'm going to put them all. Lord knows how you guys that have been this for years get on!
Put them closer together, reshuffle them to effectively make more room, stick the old ones in cardboard boxes in the attic …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Trust you to pick up on my use of the word "sand", rather than "remove" :tongue-out2:
I have this bad habit of taking what people say as what they also mean exactly :smiling3: This is compounded a bit by often not consciously realising that I also post on forums like this one, where most people don’t share that trait …

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Sorry, I'm another late comer.
Nice looking kit and as Dave said Zvezda's recent kits are often very good. 1/72 is a nice scale for displaying. Nicely detailed but you don't need too much space. Cockpit and engine look great.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Outstanding. Operating in loose soil environments with all those electronics, they often have to spool those up before the engines so as to not obscure visibility before takeoff thus last minute adjustments are possible. Can't swear to it but sounds plausible. Apaches take 20 to 30 minutes from cold start of electronics to takeoff. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim and Paul. Interesting information on the electronics, which does indeed make sense.

I was given a bit of free time today so did a bit more detailing on the engine. Some of it is covered, even with the access doors open, so excuse any loose ends at the back.

9ws9Yah.jpg

Then set about bringing the two fuselage halves together. For anyone that does this kit in the future I had to relieve some of the plastic from inside the halves, around the rotor head area. It was fouling on the bulkhead that goes between engines and gearbox. Strangely it looked like someone had already had a go at it before as the moulding in that area was quite rough compared to every other piece. Maybe a last minute modification to the moulding tool?

Anyway, I simply took a little bit more away from the areas that already seemed to have had attention, and the fit was very good. One small gap, again near the rotor head area, but the rest was impressively flush.

tVDCWav.jpg

tD3mXUs.jpg

On the sprue I had though the tail section was twisted, but having studied photos of the real thing the tail does lean slightly to one side so all is good.

EvY6MyZ.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Strangely it looked like someone had already had a go at it before as the moulding in that area was quite rough compared to every other piece. Maybe a last minute modification to the moulding tool?
Could be they had to modify the mould to get it to fill properly?

On the sprue I had though the tail section was twisted, but having studied photos of the real thing the tail does lean slightly to one side so all is good.
Heh, TIL. Good thing to know if I ever get round to building one of these — always liked them, never got round to building a model of one.

D

Deleted member 7181

Could be they had to modify the mould to get it to fill properly?

Maybe, who knows?

It was almost as if I'd heated the plastic to get it really soft, then forced it into position, leaving a rough impression of the bulkhead (and the top of the gearbox) on the inside.

Should have got a picture really!

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been busy at work so not masses of progress, but here's where I'm at right now

Lots of the little subs put together, most of which are made up of several parts. That must be why the parts count is so high.

F0jCvtS.jpg

yrqJNHR.jpg

wzhkuQ2.jpg

Painted inside the doors, engine covers etc, ready for them to be loosely mounted when I paint the exterior.

XaSKfZA.jpg

I think I've finished with the engines. I could keep adding more and more but realistically it'll hardly be seen, even with the covers open, so I'll leave that kind of thing for a larger scale. Also got the canopy fitted, which was an absolute pain as it's also in several pieces. "Doors" only temporarily mounted, will be displayed open. Weird green reflection is proof I have a bit of garden outside my shed :smiling5:

bN2OS9h.jpg

Managed to get a TET glue mark on the largest part of the canopy! With so many pieces that needed "persuading" to fit, there was no way I was going to sit there for hours waiting for canopy glue to harden so used a drop or two of extra thin to secure it. Of course it decided to wick up my thumb and left a huge print :rolling:

After much sanding, right up to 6000 grit, it looks a whole load better. It's just a bit dull but should hopefully polish up fine. You can see what's left of the print around the front frame of the rear canopy, but I reckon that will hide a bit more if I go slightly onto the "glass" when I paint the frame.

F7ihT63.jpg

A little bit more sanding and some panel lines to rescribe then it should be ready for primer & paint. Of course the big decision now is what to fit and what to leave off for that process.

Getting in and around the main winglets will be a nightmare if I fit them now, and the rear elevators only have a tiny mounting point for their size so I just know they'll get knocked off! It'll probably end up as some kind of hybrid, painting the main colours first then adding more parts before finishing off, but stay tuned and we'll see what happens :smiling2:

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. There's so little margin for error with the fit that it's testing me, but all part of the learning process I guess :smiling3:

Pete, I have the 3M counterpart, Fast Cut Plus, and a quick go with that looked positive. Will probably wait until I've finished with glue before polishing any more just in case I make the same mistake again!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Andy,

You’ve made a lovely job of the build despite it fighting you....I’d say your winning:smiling4:

Canopies, window glass and decals always get me anxious! Sounds like you’ve got everything under control though:thumb2: