Zvezda 1/72 MI-24P Hind

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

All finished now, build thread here

There are a few niggly bits that bother me but overall I'm very happy with how this has turned out. The high parts count for a 1/72 meant plenty of small parts to fiddle with, but I didn't lose or break many so that's a bonus!

r9F3Vqu.jpg

bVN1PtA.jpg

DvgS4qs.jpg

h5mE34Q.jpg

gO0QSGk.jpg

UAHy0uq.jpg

5HwwWiy.jpg

cNxYWoq.jpg

IXNfVtD.jpg

jCVW1xK.jpg

CcfTdlW.jpg

RN2eh3i.jpg

Thanks once again for all the tips and support along the way. I'm learning new things with every model I build, some good things that work, some bad things that don't, but hopefully the more I practice and the more experience I build up, the better I'll get.

Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks very good, even in the close-up photos that can be hard on a model in this scale.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jakko.

It has its faults, mainly stuff that broke along the way and had to be refixed, which now show up. Like the port engine cover that I can't even remember how many times it fell apart :smiling5:

As you say though, given the scale and the fact that most pictures are much larger than life, I'm happy with it, which is what matters most :smiling3:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
An excellent piece of work Andy. I have found in smaller scales, viewing distance makes a big difference. Kind of like an oil painting, thus the base or display can force a position for the viewer to see the model at its' best. Being a bit of a barn-jobber, most of mine are 2 to 3 footers:cool:. PaulE

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A’noon Andy,
I reckon you ought to be very happy with the results...it’s a blinder! Top stuff sir, very nice indeed :thumb2:

D

Deleted member 7181

After seeing some of the close ups I did consider just posting tiny thumbnails Paul :smiling5:

Thanks Si. At some point in the future I'd like to build another one in a larger scale and really go to town on the detailing.

One thing I didn't mention during the build is that I lost one of the side windows, either to the carpet monster or one of the big spiders I share the shed with. I got some Kristal Klear free when I bought some microset/sol so gave that a try. It actually looks better than the kit windows close up!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
A great result. You should be proud of what you have achieved. We don't see helicopters built very often. The open hatches etc really add to the interest.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job andy , helicopters are a peculiar thing to build , lots of bits sticking out everywhere , therefore quite tricky to paint and handle while assembling but youve cracked it here . It looks very nice indeed , if youre wanting to have a go at a larger one then Revell/monogram do a 1/48 and i think trumpeter do a 1/35 and a 1/48 , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to get a thing for helicopters Jim so you might see a few more in the future. And as you say Tony, quite delicate with lots of small details which I will moan about endlessly but really enjoy :smiling5:

The 1/35 Academy AH-1Z is high on my wish list as I've seen a few built and it looks like a great kit, just not the easiest thing to get hold of as everywhere seems to sell out as soon as they get stock. I've also been eyeing up the 1/35 Hind you mention. Quite pricey for my taste but loads of aftermarket bits available too so it might tempt me down that slippery slope of investing a lot in one long detailed build, rather than the quick cheap and cheerful route I thought I'd be going.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You could always take another step toward being an advanced modeller: start one kit, and before it’s finished, start on another that should be a quicker, simpler build.

Wait … don’t take that as advice :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well for a "new" modeller, I'm now sure you have earned your stripes. Great build. And yes, I quite like a Helo as well. I should build more, I like all there lumps and bumps.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Colin, might be time to remove the "L" plates from my bench soon :smiling5:

Jakko, I've been dipping my toe into that water a bit, cleaning up parts for the next model as I've been finishing / weathering a current one. Not sure my space is organised enough to have two full builds on the go at once just yet but I do like the idea.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very good looking finish Andy, lovely paintwork and great to have all the hatches open adds some interest to the model. :thumb2: :thumb2:

‘’L’’ plates can go sir!:smiling5:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've been dipping my toe into that water a bit, cleaning up parts for the next model as I've been finishing / weathering a current one.
Before you know it, you’ll have as many boxes full of half-built models as you do of unbuilt ones …

Not sure my space is organised enough to have two full builds on the go at once just yet but I do like the idea.
I don’t think I should show my workspace in this regard … Two full builds on the go at once, you say? Only two? :smiling3: