Zvezda 1/72 Yak-130 x 2 - A pair of Mittens!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After letting the primer really dry overnight - the trainer was sprayed overall dark grey, and the display aircraft had the lower fuselage sprayed white.
DSCF0480.JPG
I'll let the white harden off overnight, then mask up & spray the red, which could be a tricky business!
The Yak-130 is around the same size as the BAE Hawk, with similar characteristics for performance, albeit with the safety of twin engines.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I masked up the display aircraft & sprayed Revell Acrylic 'fiery red' - the only gloss red paint I have in my paintboxDSCF0491.JPGDSCF0493.JPG

My habit of decanting paint into a plastic shot glass, before thinning & airbrushing saved me a lot of hassle. I added IPA to thin - and the whole mix coagulated in a matter of seconds! Luckily I had enough paint to ditch this & try again, this time thinning with tap water,
which worked well. Another mental warning - this time about Revell paint ( originally bought for a Ferrari F1 car ). A bit of tidying up before moving on - undercarriage next, for both models.
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Dave, and a new mat ! hope you didn't pay full price for it :smiling2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A3 AK Cutting mat - £4.99 from John at Scale Model Shop - heavy duty - good quality - I was buying some paints, so added that, as my old one was a bit shabby.
That red paint - a real pig to spray, and you have to take extra care in cleaning your airbrush, or it will either clog the brush, or taint your next colour!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
These have taken a back seat whilst I have been fighting the Master Box figure, but I've managed to get the pilots installed & first pass of canopy paint. ( only dry fitted! )
DSCF0511.JPG
I did find I had to cut down the base of the backseaters' ejector seat, the canopy wouldn't close over it.
Dave