Zvezda 1/72 Yak-130 x 2 - A pair of Mittens!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After the MiniArt Hoplite, I decided to clear the bench ( and lay down my new cutting mat ), and try something I don't think I have ever tried before - a dual build - essentially the same kit ( albeit different boxing ), that I will build simultaneously.
Here's the boxes.....................
yak 130 aero.jpgyak 130 train.jpg

I ended up with two, because I got the trainer at a good discount, and then saw the display aircraft at an even better offer!
The Yak-130 ( Nato name: Mitten - hence the title ) was originally a joint development between Yak & Aermacchi, but a split occurred in 2000. The Aermacchi M-346 Master has sold to Israel, Italy, Poland & Singapore, and naturally looks very similar. The Yak-130 is the basic jet trainer for Russia, and has sold to several smaller countries - like Bangladesh & Myanmar, not only as a trainer, but a light strike aircraft.
The Kits: Both come in the normal Zvezda box-in-a-box, which do the best job of protecting the sprues ( Revell, please note ).
They both have the same basic sprues, the trainer has additional sprues for the wing pylons ans armament - the big difference is that the display aircraft is moulded in bright red! - really horrible, and seeing that the aircraft is red on top & white on the lower fuselage could be a nightmare to cover, I might swap the parts over, and use the grey parts as a more friendly base for red/white. The trainer version has several colour variants, most of which are general overall colours, so hopefully easier to cover that red plastic.
Tomorrow, I will put up some sprue shots, and I think you will see that see that the detail & engineering of the model are well up to any other manufacturer

Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking forward to these Dave . Zvezdas recent output is superbly tooled stuff . The red plastic reminds me of the old matchbox multicoloured kits , as a kid I had the Alpha jet , which came in red and white plastic ! Can’t see why Zvezda have done this in red though , it’s hardly as if it’s aimed at youngsters who aren’t going to paint it .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's an odd thing - I was sitting comparing the sprues, and even though they are physically identical ( apart from the colour!), the grey plastic shows the detail better - some sort of optical illusion - or maybe my eyes?
Looking at the decal sheets, I think that a lot of them will not be used - far too fiddly - it's a pretty small aircraft..................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
General Sprue shots:
DSCF0443.JPG

DSCF0442.JPG
These are common, there are two sets of bottom wings, one without pylons, the other with.

DSCF0440.JPG
Two on the left common, the other four specific to the trainer.

DSCF0438.JPG
Decals & canopy - Display aircraft at the top - some of those stencils are too small!
DSCF0458.JPG
DSCF0457.JPG
Instructions - normal Zvezda - 3 variants for the trainer version, just black & white callouts

Seeing Red!!
DSCF0436.JPG
Note the full colour scheme for red/white - for the trainer 4 - colour version only shades of grey!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some detail shots:
Ivan & his seat
DSCF0456.JPGDSCF0455.JPG

Jet nozzles & compressor discs
DSCF0446.JPG

Undercarriage bits
DSCF0447.JPGDSCF0449.JPG

Cockpit tub
DSCF0448.JPG
Top wing/airbrake housing
DSCF0444.JPG
Lower wing for the display aircraft - no pylons
DSCF0450.JPG

Armament details for the trainer:DSCF0451.JPGDSCF0452.JPGDSCF0453.JPGDSCF0454.JPG

The mouldings are pretty crisp & flash free - some of the ingates are large & the smaller parts will need careful removal, but otherwise all looks good.
Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting project Dave, I'll be following this one :thumb2:
Steven

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks nice Dave. I've never built a Zvezda.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Colin,
the models that Zvezda have produced over the past few years have just about equaled any of the Far Eastern Makers, they do miss having PE included, but the detail is good enough not to need it. You can generally find them at good discounts, as well!!!
I stress over the past few years - before then they were just putting out clunky blocks of plastic that may have looked like the subject!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Construction begins - with the engines - the only difference between the display aircraft & the trainer assembly is the lower wings - up to that stage, both the same.
DSCF0459.JPG
The engines have compressor discs & nozzles & inlet trunking - not a lot will be seen after assembly!

DSCF0460.JPG
The engines fit into their respective tail parts - this model has no single fuselage part, it's built up, so the fit will have to be good. Some of the parts are delicate, so I've left off trimming them, until after assembly, when they're easier to handle & stronger.
DSCF0461.JPG
This is how they (dry ) fit together - there is a single piece trunking, which fits over this, then the upper wing fits over all.
It seems a rather complicated way of doing this, and I suspect this model is literally their 1/48 model, scaled down to 1/72, but things have fitted together very well ( so far ). Zvezda would have you fit the main undercarriage legs at this point, but I think I'll leave them off, if possible, so painting & masking will be easier.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
This is one of those models where you lose all track of time, and assembling two of them just makes it worse!DSCF0463.JPG
It isn't until you dry fit the parts that you can actually see how all the bits come together, and given the tightness of all the joints, so far it looks very good.
I've just had a look at the instructions for the Zvezda 1/48 Yak - - the 1/72 model is a scaled down version, the parts breakdown, the assembly sequence are the same - some parts are simplified, like the ejector seats - the 1/48 model has auxiliary intake doors over the trunking ( so no garbage ingested from rough airfields, like other Russian jets ), but the 1/72 misses these out, even though there are slots in the trunking for them!
With all the lousy news, I'm even less inclined to meet the general public, and may even cut down my visits to the pub! It looks like the modelling bench is going to be occupied for longer periods!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
More assembly - I find that 90% of the work done will be totally invisible!DSCF0465.JPG

Dry fitting the wing.............................

DSCF0466.JPG

DSCF0467.JPG

This would be a real pig of a model, if the fit wasn't so good! 26 parts in each aircraft so far...................
The red plastic doesn't do the model any favours - it makes things look cheap & nasty - I'll be happy to get some primer on, to cover it up. The next stage is where the assemblies differ slightly - the lower wings - one for pylons, the other without
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks like a complicated assembly dave , the first pic looks like a pair of sci fi ships ! Good to hear the fit is excellent , looking forward to the next stage

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I was expecting the cockpit to be the emerald green of other Russian jets. The instructions say 'aircraft blue' , so a few pictures from the internet51-4.jpgYak130_4.jpgyak130-cock.jpg
Humbrol 65 - that seems to be similar to RLM 78 Hellblau - which I have in the paintbox...............
The cockpits look a little bare - The multi-function screens have replaced all those dials & gauges
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice work Dave. They do seem quite complicated for 1:72 You might be correct about the scaling down of 1:48.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Curious - part A6 fits on the front of the cockpit tub. It doesn't support anything & when the nose section & front seat coaming are added, is totally invisible - it looks like a electronics rack was planned, but dropped, and this is a legacy.

DSCF0469.JPG

There is no mention of noseweights anywhere, but I think this will be a tail sitter, unless I add some ballast. Missing out part A6 may give me enough room for that.
By dry fitting, I find that you can leave the cockpit tub out until later stages - which will help the painting sequence, and make the cockpit tub much easier to detail paint.DSCF0470.JPG
If you don't use the pilots, you add the ejection pull handle at the front of the seat squab. I'm just about ready to prime some parts.......................
Dave

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Looking very good and what a pace!
I've never seen these before, but that's maybe because I don't look very hard at anything Russian. I have to say they are pretty useful looking things.

Keep up the good work Dave!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, if I can't go to my local coffee shop for my latte caffeine fix, then I may as well sit at my bench, with a poor instant coffee substitute!
The other guys I regularly meet ( all older than me ) are of a like mind and are cutting down on public appearances.
The Russians are worth looking at - knowing your liking for sea borne wingy things.................Zvezda-1-72-7297-Sukhoi-Su-33-Sea-Flanker-New.jpg
Or even the Revell boxing of this model
revell-sukhoi-su33-flankerd.jpg
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Painted & detailed painted the cockpit tubs, ejector seats & pilots, then fitted the tubs to the fuselage assemblies. The upper wing surfaces added - just cemented at the rear at the moment, I want to dry fit the lower wing surfaces, and see what sort of fit I have, before fully glueing.
DSCF0473.JPG
The pilots ( angle of photo makes them look heads down! ) - 2 in workaday green for the trainer, 2 in orange for the display crew
I've added two BB in each nose & secured with PVA. I'll stuff the cockpit with tissue, so I can spray overall primer - the cockpit coamings, instrument panels & seated crew can be added much further on in the assembly
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lower wings, lower engine cowls & tail planes added The step by the rudder is the recess for the large air brake, which you can show open/closed. I realise I've missed out a transparent part, on the centreline in front of the airbrake -it can only be fitted from inside, it's only a tiny beacon, so I'm sure I can make a sub.
DSCF0474.JPG
DSCF0475.JPG
No problem with fit - TET wicked into the joints. Those tail planes are really thin, like little razors.
I have to add the flaps, and pylons ( only on the trainer ) then I can think about masking/stuffing for primercoats
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Al last, I've covered up that red plastic & I now have a pair of grey mittens!DSCF0476.JPGDSCF0478.JPG

Luckily I did notice that the trainer aircraft & display aircraft have different flaps - something to do with the pylons, I think.
I have to decide what colour to do the trainer version. There is a Belorussian 4-colour camo, but on such a small aircraft that looks a little 'fussy'. The Russian AF variant is overall dark grey, and I think that will look good, when alongside the red/white version
Dave