Zvezda BTR-80 any good?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Hi all.

Having built a couple of flying things I'd like to try my hand at something ground based next. I might get lynched saying this in here but I don't particularly like tanks, so I'm looking for some kind of multi-wheeled APC or support vehicle. Having had a look around the Zvezda BTR-80 caught my eye, but Scalemates reckons it was first tooled in 1990, with only box changes and added parts in more recent years, and I've read a few things about early Zvezda not being the best, so wondered if anyone had first hand experience of this particular model.

I see Trumpeter also do a version of this, and the BTR-80A, but with over 500 parts and PE I'm not sure if it'll be a good choice for a novice. I certainly want to start stretching myself and learning new skills, but don't want something so fiddly that it puts me off armour. That's also the reason I'd like to stick to 1/35 for now.

Whilst I know you can't decide for me, I'd just like advice on whether the Zvezda kit can be made to go together well with a bit of fiddling, or whether I should take the plunge and go for the more technically challenging Trumpeter.

Or indeed if you know of any similar vehicles by any manufacturer in 1/35 that would suit a keen but unseasoned modeller.

Thanks,
Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah, looking at Scalemates, it’s a rebox of the Dragon (DML) kit, so I’ve built this (and the similar BTR-70). Based on that, I don’t think I’d recommend it as your first 1/35 scale armour kit. I had no problems with it, but I had been building 1/35 scale AFV kits for about 15 years at the time I made it, and Dragon kits can be a bit fiddly to put together. Ones of this vintage tend to have quite thin parts for things like grab handles, brush guards, etc. that will break fairly easily, for example.

OTOH, given how you describe the Trumpeter kit, it may also not be a great choice for a first armour kit. In fact I think I’d recommend the Dragon/Zvezda kit over that, going by the description.

If you want a kit that anyone can put together but still look good, you can’t go wrong with Tamiya. They happen to have an 8×8 if that’s what grabbed your interest:

top.jpg

This is a Japanese Type 16 “Maneuver Combat Vehicle” (whatever that may mean) which only came into service two years ago.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for that Jakko.

That kit certainly ticks some of my boxes. Being a modern Tamiya it should be straightforward for me to put together, although it's a bit more "tank like" than I would prefer.

A great suggestion though, thanks.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Jakko is exactly right Andy. You can't go far wrong with Tamiya and they do a wide range of 'non-tank' military vehicles.

They start with simple jeep types (Jeep, M151, Kubelwagen etc), moving through to weapon carriers (LRDG Chevrolet, Sahariana etc), small armored cars like the Sd Kfz 222 (an absolute dream to build) and up to the bigger armoured stuff similar to the one Jakko has shown. You're bound to find something in their range you like.

Hobby Boss, Revell and Italeri also offer a good selection, and while they may not all be up to Tamiya standards, a good many of their kits can provide excellent results for anyone with even moderate skills - and you're already beyond moderate judging from what we've seen of your work so far!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the suggestions Dave, and the vote of confidence! Plenty of options for me to look through there, might make the decision even harder :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Andy,

Both have some great suggestions and if you look at the Revell line you will find some modern 8 wheel armored cars from the Bundeswehr (German Army) that might tick all the right boxes for you. The kits don't cost a fortune and you definitely have the skills to knock one out and make it shine!!!

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it's a bit more "tank like" than I would prefer.
There are plenty of similar vehicles that look less like a tank. The main problem with recommending any is that it’s hard to say what you might or might not like :smiling3: With Russian 8×8 armoured cars, though, the choice is somewhat limited, but if you have any other ideas (even somewhat general ones) of what you’re interested it, we might be able to point you in the direction of suitable kits.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

On reflection I think I'm going to go for the Zvezda anyway, since it's cheap and cheerful (and on sale in Scale Model Shop) so will do as a starter, but will keep your suggestions in mind for something to do after that.

I'd buy this MAZ 537 kit straight away if it were 1/35 as that's the kind of thing I like, or something like this tank transporter when I'm more experienced and can justify the cost.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
The MAZ is available from Trumpeter in 1/35th. Might be a bit much for a first vehicle though....

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim, probably one for the future. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew just yet.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
On reflection I think I'm going to go for the Zvezda anyway, since it's cheap and cheerful (and on sale in Scale Model Shop) so will do as a starter, but will keep your suggestions in mind for something to do after that.
The main thing to pay attention to is getting the suspension lined up, as I recall. Most of the rest is just adding details to the hull, which is a top and a bottom piece, and as I said before, some of those details tend to be fragile so if you take care removing them from the sprue, you’ll probably do fine.

I'd buy this MAZ 537 kit straight away if it were 1/35 as that's the kind of thing I like, or something like this tank transporter when I'm more experienced and can justify the cost.
And have built an extra room onto your house to keep them in :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

And have built an extra room onto your house to keep them in :smiling3:
Funny you should say that, I'm currently in discussion with my better half about converting a room we don't use much into a hobby room. Got to be better than working in the shed!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Depends on how hot and cold it gets in there, and how well you can use the shed to keep out of the way of people you don’t want bothering you, I suppose :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

So I've just ordered the Zvezda kit, and something else in 1/72

I must have a thing for 8x8 vehicles :smiling5: I've promised myself a MAN truck as an extreme off-roader if I ever win the lottery, but a tiny model is probably the closest I'll ever get. Hope my eyesight is up to building it!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There are also 1/35 scale kits of those 8×8 KAT I vehicles, plus American HEMTTs as well. Revell used to have the full set, 4×4, 6×6 and 8×8, but now only the 4×4 seems to be in their catalog :sad:

Thinking of which, just the other day I was watching a programme on German TV about a workshop where maintenance was carried out on German army KAT I vehicles, among others.

D

Deleted member 7181

I figured by getting a 1/72 as well I can compare the two scales and see which I prefer. If the little one turns out really badly I can use it as a practice mule for paint & weathering effect.