SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done mate, looks good.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
An excellent model Andy, well done. The painting has me bemused as always, I just don't know how you do it!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John, Andy & Chris.

I'm getting happier with my paint effects since switching to a trigger style airbrush. It was only a fraction of the price of my Infinity but it's more natural for me so I can control it better. Most of the time I start with a black base then build up the opacity of the colour in very thin, transparent layers. Switching between layers of random "marbling" or concentrating on the centre of panels. Then final overall layers to blend the effects together.

I've often overdone the last step, burying the previous work, and did to some extent with the green on this one, so went over it with some extremely thin black MRP paint to add extra shading.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks John, Andy & Chris.

I'm getting happier with my paint effects since switching to a trigger style airbrush. It was only a fraction of the price of my Infinity but it's more natural for me so I can control it better. Most of the time I start with a black base then build up the opacity of the colour in very thin, transparent layers. Switching between layers of random "marbling" or concentrating on the centre of panels. Then final overall layers to blend the effects together.

I've often overdone the last step, burying the previous work, and did to some extent with the green on this one, so went over it with some extremely thin black MRP paint to add extra shading.

I have a feeling this technique is applicable only to lacquers. I don't think you can apply VMA thinly enough for this to be effective. The highlighting is a good tip though.

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, it's certainly easier with lacquers. I've tried with VMA but wasn't as successful. For some reason I've never been able to get on with that paint though, so might try it again with the new AK acrylics.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
That is a very fine result. You should be pleased and proud.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Ralph and Jim.

Yes, very happy with this one.

D

Deleted member 7181

Not sure if any of you follow International Scale Modeller, but I put this forward for their Friday night live video spot.
I got some great comments on it, won the vote from 3 of the judges, including Paul Bretland, and was a hard 50/50 choice for one of the others, against an absolutely stunning Alfa.

3rd place overall, but I wasn't expecting to even be in the running.

I know I'm doing this for me rather than anyone else, but it's a great feeling to get that kind of recognition outside of this forum too.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Andy, this is superb. The kit looks fantastic, but your finishing work has really brought it to life.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

I just need to work on consistency now I think. Some I'm really happy with, some not so much, but I can never remember what I did on the better ones lol

I guess I should start writing my steps down so I can replicate them in the future :smiling5:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
It was well worth the position and your right it is nice to have your work recognised even though we build for ourselves for the main.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete and Paul.

It's spurred me on a bit with my current build, which has caused me more than a few headaches so far. If it turns out anything like this bird it'll be worth it.