Zvezda Polikarpov i-16 typ 24 -Captured Romanian markings

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi all heres the Zvezda Polikarpov i-16 snap together kit in 1/144. Obviously being a kit of few parts I didnt bother with a build log , suffice to say it goes together superbly and is very finely detailed for a kit thats supposed to be mainly for wargamers. I got myself an aftermarket decal sheet as the generic decals in the kit were very basic , the AM sheet however contains decals to do no less than twenty different aircraft and a varied selection of air forces. I chose the captured Romanian machine , I'll be getting lots more of these so I can do some of the other schemes too (scratching a pair of skis in 1/144 for the Finnish one is going to be fun , and crash moulding a tiny enclosed canopy for the typ 5 versions is very tricky!) Heres the pics with a couple of size references , cheers tonyDSCN3407.JPGDSCN3409.JPGDSCN3410.JPGDSCN3411.JPGDSCN3412.JPGDSCN3414.JPGDSCN3415.JPGDSCN3416.JPGDSCN3417.JPGDSCN3418.JPGDSCN3419.JPGDSCN3420.JPGDSCN3421.JPGDSCN3408.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's small enough in 1/48, but in1/144!!!!!! That's really neat! That white dots & squiggles will be a real trial to paint!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Another tiny, but very neatly built and painted aircraft.

Nice one matey.

Ivor Bittergynlefft.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That white dots & squiggles will be a real trial to paint!
Cheers dave , yes that scheme is virtually impossible , and guess which one my wife picked when i asked her which one i should do first . I ignored her advice and picked the romanian one ( dont tell her !) cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Cheers dave , yes that scheme is virtually impossible , and guess which one my wife picked when i asked her which one i should do first . I ignored her advice and picked the romanian one ( dont tell her !) cheers tony

Oh come on Tony! Where's your sense of adventure? You're the only one here crazy enough to take it on - and we need to see if it's possible and not just a figment of the decal maker's imagination!

... and it would go very well with this little beauty!

Edit: Just a thought. Maybe you aren't the only one crazy enough to give it a go. Young Tim seems to be a bit of a dab hand with a paintbrush having seen his wonderful figures. How about it Tim? Fancy trying a wingy thingy?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What you doing Tony? You got your like button pressed before I finished my edit!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s great, really dinky but perfectly formed.....
Dave, I’ve done a few wingies.......last one was a 1/48 Nieuport 17 for a GB on the old site.....I’ve done quite a lot of 1/300s for gaming in the past, but nowhere near this standard...

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another tiny, but very neatly built and painted aircraft.

Nice one matey.

Ivor Bittergynlefft.

Not heard anything from you about that camo young Ron. Can I take it your kit has been ordered and is on its way?

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Great job Tony ,small is beautiful and like you said even though aimed at war gamers it's up there. Now your committed to the temporary winter camo one next(he he) I'd be tempted on a old scraper or piece of something to try a touch of reverse psychology all white first then the green. Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks guys , it’s a quickie build but the quality of the moulding is superb , the undercarriage is nicely done and the tiny pilots head has recognisable features . The windscreen is something else too , it’s literally the size of a pinhead ,and all this fits together perfectly , in fact any paint on the locating pins has to be scraped off or they won’t fit ,it’s that precise ! I’m definitely getting lots more of these and probably some more lavochkins too , the beauty of these too is that a whole squadron can be placed on a piece of shelf about A 4 size ! Cheers tonyBD761BD6-8011-4278-95FA-F6E3C703E56B.jpeg7815FD27-3795-494C-9E08-736E8804D1B4.jpeg3FAD461F-AFF0-49A6-B8D4-F36DDE055A7F.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Not heard anything from you about that camo young Ron. Can I take it your kit has been ordered and is on its way?

You betch'a, Dave.

Ordered yesterday, just as soon as I saw Tony's excellent build, and the winter camo. on the decal sheets.

Pooch Laika (Sputnik 1957)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony
That is a great model. Glad you included a size reference as I didn't realise it was so tiny. Almost looks like one of Pete L's toons.
Jim

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic work Tony, time to give your eyes a rest
Cheers ian , not much chance of that though , ive just ordered another three of these , an il2 , a la5 and a tiny tank , with bulk order discount all six only cost me £21 and free postage :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

First Name
Andy
I'm not much of a wing fan but you models look great, all the more so for being so small tiny.

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Cheers ian , not much chance of that though , ive just ordered another three of these , an il2 , a la5 and a tiny tank , with bulk order discount all six only cost me £21 and free postage :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

So you've ordered three and all six only cost .....? :upside: :upside: :upside: