Zvezda SU - 100 1/35 SCALE & BM truck

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening windswept people !

Take you sets for another dio, this time reloading. Don't know yet if it will be in a city or country side.

While I was waiting for the compressor to arrive and the stalled painting I started the above 2 builds. The BM had at one time a Katyusha Rocket launcher on the back , but this was taken and used with a tracked truck.
The SU -100.

1581270411336.png
Came out a few years ago , been several up dates, this precedes the last one.

A brief history shows that this followed the SU-85 both based on the T34 chassis as it became superseded by the T34/85.

The Russians could see a need for a much larger gun and produced the SU -100, with a 100 mm gun.
A power plant by Kharkiv Model V2 V-12 diesel giving 500 hp and with the American designed Christie suspension.

The SU-100 quickly proved itself to be able to penetrate around 125 mm (4.9 in) of vertical armor from a range of 2,000 m (1.2 mi) and the sloped 80 mm (3.1 in) front armor of the German Panther from 1,500 m (0.93 mi)

Work started in February 1944 and the first prototype of the SU-100, "Object 138", was delivered in March. After intensive testing with different models of 100 mm gun Soviet engineers approved the D-10S gun for mass production at the Ural Heavy Machinery Factory in Yekaterinburg. By the end of July 1945 2335 had been built. In fact it continued to be produced until 1937 in Russia and has been used by other nations until well into the 2015 when one was seen in the Yemen.

2019.jpg

2019_2.jpg
Wanted a rough finish to the side armor, this has since been sanded to remove those gritty bits.Used some Mr Hobby 500.

2019_2_2.jpg

The tow cables kit wise were not much , so twisted some wire and used some spare ends.
2019_8.jpg

Again some Mr Hobby 500 to achieve a cast look to the mantlet.

Now the exciting bit, now many of you know hoe I struggled with PE, determined to to learn I've had another go. This time with some success.
Of course not all of the parts were used, in fact 2 brkts were so small when I'd bent them I couldn't see the upright section so gave those up. Should have been used on the saw.

The one part that I lost was the rear engine grill , no ides where it went or If I even had it, as several parts were loose in the box. Attempted to make my own, ok not the correct size, but its better than nothing, and I'll hide it under a tarp .
It can bee seen it the photo above.
The engine grill were a sod to fit, kept sticking to every thing els other than where they should have goon .I've since altered my method of applying the CA and as will be seen works a lot better.

2019_11.jpg

2019_10.jpg2019_4.jpg
2019_2_3A.jpg

Now this piece of foam is great to put cut pieces of PE onto , they don't move !! Will be using that again, also cut the PE on a section of soft wood and with the grain. no more bending up.

2019_14.jpg

Rear mud guard, another thrilling moment when the bend worked.

I'll up load some more on the BM truck tomorrow.

Hope you will follow, comments more than welcome .

Thanks John.

Attachments

• 2019_14.jpg
    2019_14.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Hope you have not been flooded or blown away
PE is good and you've certainly got that sorted. Some of the parts on the fret are so small as to be impossible. I cut PE with a curved blade on a piece of perspex.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Dude 2,

Ain't no stopping you now!!! Top job on the etch, in fact, on the whole SU-100!!!!!!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr Race,
Great to see you having some success with the shiny stuff:cool:. Like Jim I cut my PE on a piece of acrylic sheet but I use a micro chisel.
looking forward to more as I’ve fancied doing an Su-122....the Miniart version with interior:nerd:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’m here at the front. John did Christine give you two bags of Yorkshire tea today WOW your hammer down

Reactions: JR

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and I'm in this one too... wow.. the details you put are really superb... keep on doing MOORE... :smiling:

D

Deleted member 7181

Off to a great start John. Will follow along as always.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking great John, the more I see of the military stuff you and the other guys build the more I think I should try one.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 6559

You've hit the ground running with this one John :thumb2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Looking good John :thumb2:

PE seems to be going well for a change

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Johnh
Hope you have not been flooded or blown away
PE is good and you've certainly got that sorted. Some of the parts on the fret are so small as to be impossible. I cut PE with a curved blade on a piece of perspex.
Jim
Hi Jim, not too bad here , thank you, we are on higher ground here so no chance of getting flooded. Not as windy as some have had .
Those small parts are just too small, at least I had a go !
Damn Dude 2,

Ain't no stopping you now!!! Top job on the etch, in fact, on the whole SU-100!!!!!!
Thanks buddy, will get better with practice , I hope !

Evening Mr Race,
Great to see you having some success with the shiny stuff:cool:. Like Jim I cut my PE on a piece of acrylic sheet but I use a micro chisel.
looking forward to more as I’ve fancied doing an Su-122....the Miniart version with interior:nerd:
Hi Si, will have to try yours and Jim's method. That MiniArt will be a great kit.
Great big ugly thing lol

Count me in John
Bob nearly as bad if not badder than a StuG on steriods !:smiling::smiling::smiling::tongue-out2:

I’m here at the front. John did Christine give you two bags of Yorkshire tea today WOW your hammer down
No today Lee I'm afraid to says it was black coffee most of the day. :nerd: But tea will be available !
and I'm in this one too... wow.. the details you put are really superb... keep on doing MOORE... :smiling:
Hi Greg, nice to see you. Thanks .
John,
Great work so far mate the bling looks very good.
Thanks Paul, suddenly seem to have got the hang of it, bit messy here and there but hopefully will improve .
Off to a great start John. Will follow along as always.
Hi Andy, thank you. Hopefully now the AB and comp are sorted the painting will go as well.
Looking great John, the more I see of the military stuff you and the other guys build the more I think I should try one.

Andy.
Welcome Andy, hope you do, it's nearly always fun :smiling2:.
You've hit the ground running with this one John :thumb2:
Thank you Peter, wait until you see the BM truck, no shiney stuff but all the wheels are on the ground ! And 6 of them. !!
Looking good John :thumb2:

PE seems to be going well for a change
Hi Simon, cheers, a giant step in modeling :smiling3::smiling3:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This where I've got to with the BM truck.
Starting with the chassis, seeing the 6 wheels slightly put me off, but taking my time its gone from.

2019_4.jpg
to this .

2019_10a.jpg

Ding the inside of the cab now, then will mask up prior to the full paint.
2019_8_2a.jpg

Only used the acrylic paints on the seats, need to clean up the floor in place, and put some kit on the seat. Going to make a back using plastic card, wire brush ! bits of PE and the odd bit of coffee stirrer , that will be interesting to say the least. ;) .

All that's been done on the SU is the top hatches, horn etc. next job there is the Masterclub tracks. Ordered some figures and ammo, both by Mini-Art.

Thanks for following.
John.

Attachments

• 2019_5.jpg
    2019_5.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 3

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll keep an eye on this as you progress JR, but before Mr. T shows up, is that a large body seam on the back of the cab above the seat that my "Jaundiced" eye doth spy?:thinking:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice project John :thumb2: .
I actually sold that same SU-100 kit this month because a lack of time...
Will follow your build instead :tongue-out3:.
Steven

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
John,
you seem to have mastered that PE - I also leave the tiny parts alone, life isn't long enough to use every part on the etch sheet! :thumb2:
Dave