Zvezda SU - 100 1/35 SCALE & BM truck

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally awesome dudeee! All heading in the right direction.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Luvverly jubberly
Hi Paul, cheers mate.

Very nice.Those shells look great.
Jon.
Thanks Jon, about the limit for me size wise with the decals. Thanks to Mike I used Vallejo Gold rather than the brass. Think it does give a better look.

Hi John
Shells look good. You are a master of the landscape - must be your interest in gardening. Any news on your ferns.
Jim

Hi Jim, thank you , here is a photos of the ferns taken just now, they have taken well and settled down. The seeds are sown and in a propagator, they should take 25 to 30 days to germinate.
IMG_20200310_124956168.jpg

Will give them a few more days to settle in, I noticed that there are some new shoots coming from the base.

Some impressive work John. PaulE

Thanks Paul.

Top Work Dude 2, but I thought I warned you about using blocks of Swiss Cheese to work on while decaling things. After a while, they start to stink and turn green!!!......
have make, in fact the holes are the maggot exit ones. They were quite tasty done in batter. :nerd:.

wow that is beautiful...and plus the idea for re-arming and re-fueling is great.... LUVELY and i'm really curios to see mooore.. ;)
Hi Greg, thanks for looking in, hope you well .

Nice progress John! :thumb2:
Steven

Cheers Steven.
John, you must be a master of the fiddly stuff with the great work on those shells.

Andy.
Andy, thank you, I enjoy the majority of small fiddly stuff, other than plastic tracks !:smiling:

John. Great job on shell and your dio is looking good as well

Thanks Lee. Hope all is well with you work wise .

Wow JR those rounds came out nice. I did notice quite a bit of difference in the length of them, I assume the ones that are longer are AP rounds and the shorter are HE? At any rate, there had to have been quite a bit of "free bore" between the gun chamber and where the rifling begins. That's something I didn't know until now. Learn something everyday. Rick H.:thumb2::nerd:

With out looking Rick I think you must be right, I was surprised in general over the length of shell that can be fired from any gun , thinking that a shell was a shell , certainly before modelling I had no idea that the could be used for differing uses.

Totally awesome dudeee! All heading in the right direction.

Thanks Steve:smiling3::smiling3::upside:.

Just a quick question , will the ammo boxes where I put the decal setting loose that brush mark when I do a flat varnish. ?

Thanks John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just a quick question , will the ammo boxes where I put the decal setting loose that brush mark when I do a flat varnish. ? Thanks

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Sorry, don‘t know John but regarding the length of the different rounds - if similar to the 88mm like I am attempting to build then the longer one will be the HE but they should both have the same length cartridge case so that they sit in the same place in the breech.
The narrower pointy end of the HE will sit further forward than the short AP but the driving bands that actually engage the rifling are down next to the case on both shells so effectively there is no difference between them once loaded

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That explains a lot. Thank you for that update Mr. T. I had forgotten about the driving bands and that would explain a lot regarding "free bore" length. Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry, don‘t know John but regarding the length of the different rounds - if similar to the 88mm like I am attempting to build then the longer one will be the HE but they should both have the same length cartridge case so that they sit in the same place in the breech.
The narrower pointy end of the HE will sit further forward than the short AP but the driving bands that actually engage the rifling are down next to the case on both shells so effectively there is no difference between them once loaded
Yes the length of the cartridge casing is the same, just the war head being the difference. Thanks for explaining.
There was one fault on the MiniArt decals, they show as different marking for one type of round on the instructions, for the ammo boxes, yet on the decal sheet they are the same. Ok a minor admission but don't expect this from MA .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Quite a long talk between post on this for me, not had a great deal of Mo Jo apart from the obvious reason I'm waiting for the " branches " under the books to be ready .Think by now being as thin as they are all should be well . The other reason was the weather, with having the sun for 7 continuous days much gardening has been achieved.

I did however manage to put the tracks on the S100, (Never again will I bother with Mastertracks ) the BM truck had the shell boxes placed in the back. The figures have had several layers of paint and the faces are as good as I can do.
The other evening I sprayed both vehicles in gloss varnish prior to attempting some weathering. As the whole dio will be in a winter scene I can't imagine much weathering will be needed as the snow will cover a good part .

IMG_20200327_171612219.jpg
Pleased with the way the tarp has turned out, maybe could do will darker coat, and I need to put some rope ties on along with the eyelets Paul kindly sent .
That VMS paper sheet along with the sharper liquid is very effective the way it has moulded it's self to the cases it covers .
IMG_20200327_171616354.jpg
Close up of the ammo cases , shells have painted up well. Thanks to Mike for suggesting the gold instead of the brass colour I would have used.

IMG_20200327_171627307.jpg

Just for interest a shot of the right hand cabinet after I had the big cupboard clearance .Gaining enough room to store some finished work and to free up space on the worktop in front of the cabinets .

IMG_20200327_171639790.jpg

Thanks for looking in.
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks good JR, I know what you mean by creating more space...I never seem to have enough of it. Progress on the dio looks good, waiting to see what happens with the trees. And snow too....you are a brave one! Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Always good to have a sort out. I think space is always an issue for modellers - we sort of expand into every available nook and cranny :rolling: Truck is looking good and the shells and crates have really turned out well. Like Rick I'm looking forward to the trees and snow.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:cold-sweat:Morning all.
Rick ,Simon , Paul, Steven and Jim.
Thanks for the comments.
Yes Simon it does need some more definition , will do that as I fit the eyelets and ropes.
It's time for the trees to take shape, the branches have had long enough under the books .
Certainly will be fun sorting and preparing the branches into sizes and individual trees. Dry brush painting after that and then the fitting .
With the weather looking to change this coming week being in the cave won't seem to bad.
As to more room I am seriously running out of places to put completed builds. Sadly I think the attic is next on the list of places, puting several of the very large dios in boxes , no doubt never to be seem again ! :cold-sweat:
John

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Afternoon Mr R,
Lovely work on the ammunition boxes and shells and I’m impressed with the tarp. I went and got myself the VMS stuff just now to have a go myself.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Looking great! Very detailed as always a job well done

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon Mr R,
Lovely work on the ammunition boxes and shells and I’m impressed with the tarp. I went and got myself the VMS stuff just now to have a go myself.
Hi Si, thanks , and you won't regret buying the VMS paper shaper either.
John. Looking great! Very detailed as always a job well done

Cheers Lee , thanks for looking in .