ZWARTE ZEE 1933

J

John Huggins

Ok all this is going to be a long thread as im working in the dark, never built a boat from plans befor but i will give it a shot.

This Tug was given to me by a friend of SHMBO, been in her loft for years & when her dad passed away it's been moved from house to house so she thought i might like to finish it.

View attachment 74575

View attachment 74576

View attachment 74577

View attachment 74578

View attachment 74579

View attachment 74580

View attachment 74581

View attachment 74582

View attachment 74583

View attachment 74584

View attachment 74585

View attachment 74586

View attachment 74587

I have one or two issues with this build, the stern dose not look right, all the decks are on so it will be a pain to fit the R/C and engine in & the type of engine mount fitted i've never seen befor, for some resion it's got a hinge on it !!

O well onward & upward.

John

planes.jpg

P1080201.JPG

motor 1.jpg

motor 2.jpg

back.jpg

port.jpg

size.jpg

P1080193.JPG

P1080194.JPG

P1080195.JPG

top.jpg

P1080196.JPG

P1080197.JPG

B

Bunkerbarge

Just to help, I suspect, the hinge is to allow you to tension the drive belt. This method of reduction is a nice quiet drive system and allows you to use a nice big powerful motor, for tug pulling, but also give you the slow speed control you want for manoeuvrability.

It is well worth persevering with getting the propulsion system in as you will have a great tug model with the added attraction of a working RC model. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, it really is going to be worth the time to build this.

C

CDW

Well John, it looks to be a labour of love this time:smiling:

You should be OK with this build as you already have Richard on board, all you need now is Andy to join in and you'll have the two main rc boat gurus along for the duration.

J

John Huggins

Thanks Colin, a labour of love ant the half of it, it took hours rubbing down that wooden funnel then spraying it to look like metal, just think how long it will take to do the hull :confused: lol

John

J

John Huggins

Well Richard you asked for it lol, my first problem is the rudder, it comes right through to the top deck, i assume this is why the sturn is the incorrect shape so he can fit a servo in it for the steering, see pic's.

View attachment 74614

View attachment 74615

View attachment 74616

View attachment 74617

There is no way i can fit a servo link inside the hull as there are two bulkheads between the rudder & the space left in the hull.

My only way i can think of getting round this is to remove the stern & start again.

What do you think.

John

P1080196.JPG

P1080197.JPG

P1080207.JPG

P1080208.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lots of boats lately, good to see. Nice job John, this will be a stunner when you have worked your magic on it.

B

Bunkerbarge

John, Having had a look around I came across this:

http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/bouwverslagen-schepen/71681-bouwverslag-zwarte-zee-bj-1933-a.html

Unfortunately the text is in Dutch but the pictures tell a story. Your model has obviously been built according to some unknown design, as you say possibly to enable a servo to be fitted after the deck has been secured. If it was me I would want to keep the model looking as per the original so I would want to gain access to the internal space. From what I can see you will have to either remove the entire deck or make an access hatch at the back end. I would go for the latter as you need to redesign the area anyway to get the bulwarks looking right. You can drill holes through the internal bulkheads to pass the control rods though, but, if you are going to mount the servo in the area of the rudder you shouldn't need to do that anyway.

J

John Huggins

Thanks for the link Richard, i think me & Me Razer Saw will be paying a call.

John

J

John Huggins

Ok after pulling my hair out for an hour trying to understand the plans i've worked out it's a 1/4 scale boat, but i cannot work out why he has a 1/8 scale plans for the upper deck only with measurements on it !!!.

Thanks again Richard for the link, after looking through it the stern section is not the same, on mine the stern deck is more open as in this pic.

View attachment 74650

& not this.

View attachment 74651

So what do i do.

Ahhhhhh :confused:

John

zwartezee.jpg

zz3103.jpg

C

CDW

\ said:
Ok after pulling my hair out for an hour trying to understand the plans i've worked out it's a 1/4 scale boat, but i cannot work out why he has a 1/8 scale plans for the upper deck only with measurements on it !!!.
Im guessing the deck has more accuracy to it in the smaller scale and he was converting the measurements to 1/4 ??? maybe?? perhaps???

J

John Huggins

it would seem my first thought was incorrect, once the rear was removed i found this.

View attachment 74665

It would seem he had was going to put the servo inside the hull, i could not feel it when i put my hand inside.

I dont mind admitting when im wrong lol

John

P1080212.JPG

T

Trike man

View attachment 84358

View attachment 84359

Hi John. I have a similar model to you..built from plans by my father in 1957(in Africa). It was shipped back to UK a few years later and has been lying around ever since.
I've just decided now is the time to put it back on the water!

I,m not a modeller at all but looking forward to restoring it. I,ll try to upload a few pics so you can compare. mine was built in the bread and butter style and the stern is slightly different (and solid!). Dave.View attachment 84358

View attachment 84360

View attachment 84361

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

J

John Huggins

Hi Dave looks a lot of work to do on this one, do you know what scale it is.

It's good to see im not alone on this one.

As you can see i have cut open the stern deck & it's a bit of a mess in there but i needed to do this so i could fit the motor in when i get it.

The motor will come from a vauxhall heater fan.

At some point i will need to remove the rest of the decking to fit the electric's.

View attachment 84504

View attachment 84505

Look forward to seeing your work on this one.

John

P1080768.JPG

P1080769.JPG

T

Trike man

Hi John. have I encouraged you to start work on it again! that deck must have taken some getting off! Plenty of room now for fitting out. I'm in the process of making two new sides for the rear deck (bulwarks?) out of 4mm ply. Not very well detailed but that's the way it was built in the first place. Seeing as you have the only plan(!) could you tell me what lengths the two masts are as I need to make two more for mine.

My boat measures 54" in length, by about 8".

Any ideas where I can find a 3" length of 1/8" copper tube? One of the lifeboat stanchions is missing!

Catch you later....I've got some serious woodworking to do!

View attachment 84619

View attachment 84620

View attachment 84621

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg