1:16 Elite Infantryman

D

dubster72

You shouldn't worry John, that looks pretty good to me. You've painted it really well & done a fine job on the camo.

Patrick

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its a great job John some cracking alterations on it a big 5 from me. The flesh colours fine too but i think Tommy has a thread about painting figures in the tutorial section may be worth taking a look :welldone:

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, just to echo Patrick's post, don't worry.

Anyway, I think it looks just fine. The cammo must have been very difficult to do, but it looks good.

As I've been finding out since joining in on 'Go Figure', painting faces is arguably the hardest discipline in the modelling game!

So keep at it...practice and more practice. Like all modelling, that's the only way we can all improve.

Cheers,

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

That's a nice bit of figure modding, the camo is particularly nice - a good representation of the German 'pea' pattern camouflage.

I'd agree with Ron, practice is the way to improve skills. I've developed a style and a technique for painting my figures that I'm quite happy with at the moment, but would hope to improve.

A lot of modellers would recommend you use oils for flesh tones as blending tones is easier. Personally, I still use acrylics and I'm developing a blending technique that I can work with. Figure painting, and particularly face painting, is (I believe) the most difficult modelling skill to acquire. Facial recognition in people is a very instinctive sense, we are programmed to recognise the slightest differences in facial expressions in one another, therefore a face on a model figure needs to be very good for it to be convincing.

If you're interested I might do a tutorial on my next 120mm (1/16) figure and show you how I go about flesh tones and painting faces. I don't see myself as an authority on the subject but if you like the Tommy figure I can show you how I achieve that effect.

That aside, I think your figure is a well modified and, as Ive said, the camo representation is good. One small observation is that I think your barbed wire is slightly over scale and seems a bit thick. Also, visually it seems very dark and (to me) detracts a little from your excellent figure.

Keep up the great work John. Personally speaking, I can see an improvement in this figure over your last, and I think bodes very well for future projects if this level of skill keeps getting better!

All the best

Paul

J

John Huggins

Thanks Paul for your kind comments, & yes i would be very interested in a tutorial on face painting.

I look forward to your tutorial

John