1/25 Tamiya Tiger 1 late command tank

PatrickH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Patrick
Hi all, just thought I'd document this build as I find it quite a revelation and interesting. I say a revelation due to the fact that I have been modelling for years, started with airfix and matchbox in the 90s, mainly planes and boats, then i moved on to 1/35 Tamiya tanks and then in the mid 2000 I purchased my first big 1/16 Tamiya Tiger RC and have been building in 1/16 scale ever since. if it wasn't for the fact that a client approached me with regards to his 1/25 Tiger I wouldn't even have looked at this scale, then one came up on ebay for a good price and i decided to take a chance on it. Boy and am I glad I did, I love this scale, just wish that manufacturers gave this scale more of a look really as there aren't much available at this scale, both kits and aftermarkets!?

Which is why I'm having to design most of the parts myself. I want to base my kitty on Angus Creighton's amazing rendition of Tiger 009 late Command tank (incidentally, I also used Angus' Fehrmann's F01 Tiger for my Tamiya 1/16 Tiger). I suspect that this is going to be a long project as I still haven't decided whether to model and improve the interior detail as well!? Just seems soo involved!?

So to begin with, I started with the wheels, I could use the existing axles/arms but I couldn't bring myself to modify them so I decided to CAD them as well, the steels wheels aren't glued on or fixed in place - can't actually think how to do that yet but since this is a static model and the tracks hold them in place, I think I'm okay to leave them as they are?! The late sprocket, i created two versions one with 15teeth (suitable for the existing tracks) and the more accurate 21teeth sprocket that uses my own designed individual tracks. Currently I'm just using the 15tooth sprocket so I can use the existing tracks, the small 600mm idler wheel I also designed and fitted. Thankfully most of this designs I already have when I was working on my 1/16 tanks so it was a simple matter of just resizing and adapting them for this project =)
20230520_061114.jpg20230429_053418.jpgPhotoRoom-20230507_213058.png20230509_060651.jpg

Then the mantlet - might actually be nice to get an aftermarket aluminum barrel for this but not sure where to get them in the UK?! This design is a simple plug and go to make it easier, it simply replaces the existing early style mantlet.
20230514_055022.jpg20230514_055122.jpg20230514_055446_resized.jpg

The turret roof, another part that needs updating, hatches are workable as I like them workable =) the air filter i think needs resizing and I'm working on that atm. I could use the current stowage bin as it looks good enough but it does need a few details added on - not sure what my plans are yet for this bin?!
20230517_221033.jpg20230519_134313.jpg20230519_064022.jpg20230517_220842.jpg

I quickly moved on to the deck - again, lots of things need changing here - didn't really want to touch the deck too much but the engine cover is just a detail that I simply could not ignore so out it goes, thankfully i managed to cut it out cleanly and this is where I'm at - just finished printing the new cover and we shall see if it fits or not?! haha

20230520_053350.jpgCapturedww.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Patrick well i really like the tiger an will follow your thread but could you please fit on full size pics as my pc wont bring these small pics up very well an welcome to this great forum ps an ive just built a tiger also but in a ship
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The turret roof, another part that needs updating
Are you also correcting the shape, or is the turret from the kit already asymmetric? It doesn’t look like it to me, but I’m not a Tiger expert :smiling3:

PatrickH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Patrick
HI Patrick well i really like the tiger an will follow your thread but could you please fit on full size pics as my pc wont bring these small pics up very well an welcome to this great forum ps an ive just built a tiger also but in a ship
chrisb
HI Boatman, will certainly keep that in mind =) A shame though as i kinda like the thumbnail view, makes the post look tidier and easier for me to compose what I'm writing heh but I shall take your commentg into consideration for my next post =)

PatrickH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Patrick
Neil: Thanks, I've been a big fan of 3D printing ever since they came out and I was able to afford one - started with FDM but wasn't happy with the quality of the parts, so when resin printers became affordable I ventured into that and haven't looked back since. I currently have a Saturn and a Saturn 2 as my work horses. I think resin printers are a great boon to our hobby as it allows us to create precise parts and parts that are quite difficult and time consuming to scratchbuild. I honestly haven't done any scratch building ever since i learned to 3d print - it's my go to for things i need now heh.

Langy: Thanks and i certainly hope so - i'm hoping for anything close to Angus' Tiger heh

Jacko uhm the turret looks fine to me, I'm no Tiger expert myself but the shape looks good. The barrel is slightly off centre and the air vent is off centre as well but they are meant to be off centre but as far as i know, everything looks to be as they should be?! Again, I'm no Tiger expert, i do my research when designing parts but sometimes artistic license is required for things I cannot find references for shhhhh hehe ;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The barrel is slightly off centre and the air vent is off centre as well but they are meant to be off centre but as far as i know, everything looks to be as they should be?! Again, I'm no Tiger expert, i do my research when designing parts but sometimes artistic license is required for things I cannot find references for shhhhh hehe ;)
If the barrel is off-centre compared to the turret ring, then the model has an inaccurate turret :smiling3: One of the things I do know about the Tiger is that the gun was always thought to be off-centre, but in the 90s it turned out that what it actually is, is that the gun is dead centre relative to the turret ring, but the whole turret front (including the gun mantlet) is wider on the left than on the right. Tiger1.info has a diagram:

TurretProfileDimensions.png

Of course, whether you want to go to the trouble of correcting this, is up to you :smiling3:

PatrickH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Patrick
Thanks Jakko and that's actually where i get most of my info from, and that reference was what i used to design my mantlet =) but i did not know what you just told me there so straight away i double checked the tank hehe and thankfully it looks okay to me !? i don't want to over think it as it will be such a pain to get it centered haha

20230520_200300.jpg
PhotoRoom-20230520_200358.png

yeah i need to redo those weld marks, doesn't quite look right but I'm using Fusion 360 to design my parts and making weld marks is very difficult.

I also had to redo the engine cover as the 1st iteration wasn't long enough so i increased the size by an extra 1.5mm and the whole thing fits beautifully =)
20230520_155722.jpg
20230520_155717.jpg

yuck i don't like all these close up shots - brings out all the imperfections haha

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
it will be such a pain to get it centered
Yep, you would have to cut the forward turret sides loose so you can move the left out one and perhaps the right one in. And then, of course, lengthen/shorten them as necessary and fill the gaps along the underside as well as making your replacement roof fit …

PatrickH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Patrick
Sorry for the lack of updates but I've been busy CAD-ing (that a word?!), printing, adjustments and test printing again but I am progressing and it is so good to see this come alive slowly.
I have also decided to use a unique stowage bin design as suggested by a friend and If i'm going to make this 1/25 Tiger unique, then I might as well go all out =)

PhotoRoom-20230529_124856_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124645_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_130613_resized.png

Sorry, gonna use thumbnails from here as lots of pictures ..

PhotoRoom-20230529_124729_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124610_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124645_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124547_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124829_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124454_resized_2.pngPhotoRoom-20230529_124800_resized_2.png

I'm currently printing the turret armoured ring but I had to prepare the area first by sanding down this wooden plank thing that is unfortunately molded on. Anybody know where I can get a mesh grill for this one please in the UK? Having trouble finding one.

Also, gonna need to research the engine bay, definitely will need to design the entire engine bay as it will show up, big job.

20230529_152506_resized.jpg

Attachments

• PhotoRoom-20230529_124234_resized_2.png
    PhotoRoom-20230529_124234_resized_2.png
    994.6 KB · Views: 2