1/35 winter dio help needed

A

AJay

I'd like to make an Eastern Front dio with mud and slushy snow to place my Panther. I have a nice base, but would like to know what to use for the ground work, and the most realistic way to make damp mud and snow.

Cheers : )

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi alex, havent made a winter dio (yet!) but im sure someone on here has ,so a better man than me (gunga din) should be along soon. For my two penneth,i would imagine rons favourite medium- tile adhesive- would be perfect for the mud once painted and as for snow ive heard that bicarbonate of soda is great ,sprinkled onto wet adhesive (I dont think flour is any good as it can go mouldy!!!!) Ill be interested in the replies too as ive got a 1/72 stormovik on skis in the stash ,so maybe it will end up on a little scenic base? cheers tony

A

AJay

Thanks, Tony. The 1/72 stormovik on skis sounds fun! I'm sure I saw a one online somewhere today in fact.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
hello ajay when i did my winter dio i used bicarbonate of soda and it worked really well and to make it muddy i mix it with a little real dirt from out my dio is on here if you want to take a look its called

( let it snow)

hope this helps

geegad

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
i think if you look under my posts you should find it i dont know how to link you to it directly i will give it a look to see if i can ajay

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Alex, as my mate Tony has posted I have always used tile adhesive, the powdered stuff you add water to.

I mix this to cement like consistancy then spread it roughly over the base and shape it to any contour you fancy, pushing in rocks as you go. When it's dry I paint it with ordinary white silk emulsion paint. When this is dry and the figures and armour ect are in position, I get some white polyfilla powder in a fine sieve and gently tap it over the finished model. This gives the effect of a fresh fall of snow.

For the wet mud, where there is no snow, I just paint where I want the wet with ordinary household varnish.

Regarding the placement of your tank try this:-

When the adhesive is still workable but not sloppy, get the tank and gently push it into the mixture and withdraw it carefully, or if permanent, leave the thing in!

If removing, this will leave a nicely moulded place for the tank to sit. Don't forget the track marks behind the tank too, same principle but just touch the adhesive with the tracks. If removing, wash the tracks right away in water to clean them. Luckily I have a spare length of track specifically for this job....

A tip when painting the track marks white. Use a brush with very little paint on it and go along, not across, the track marks. This gives a nice hit and miss effect to the marks.

If you fancy it, have a look in my gallery at the snowy bits or click my picture and click on 'My started threads' and root out more snowy bits!

Folks have their own pet way of doing snow, so expect plenty of choice. I suggest you have a go at a few and see which suits you best...

I hope you find the above of some use to you.

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
if you click on my picture then look for my threads its there bud

good luck

A

AJay

Hey, thanks for the advice, Ron. Some good tips here for me to follow and hopefully create something to be proud of. I started a thread for my build but removed it as I'll show my Panther when she's complete instead ; )

John: found it! Excellent work. Going to have a proper look tomorrow.

Cheers, guys! : )