1/350 Bismarck with extras - Advice please ?

R

Richy C

Hi guys , back in november got my hands on the Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck and with the help of Graham and a few other guys sourced the wooden deck and other bits ( cheers lads ) , I now have all the stuff I want thanks to the postman today ,

I was going to get the PE kit from white ensign - goldmodels pe kit or something like that but opted for the eduard as it was 20 quid cheaper , and how glad I am some of the stuff is tiny and is going to be a right challenge , cant imagine how difficult the goldmodel pe kit would have been with twice as much

the advice I need is - with the laser cut wooden deck what glue/adhesive is best to fix it to the plastic deck I`m thinking a pva glue but not sure ? what do you guys think also at some stage I`m gonna have to airbrush a red panel for a swastika for the front of the deck - again any opinions how best this can be done , I`m thinking of ab a satin clear coat on the wood before spraying the red ?

any advice is much appriciated

Richy

View attachment 23603View attachment 23602

View attachment 30217

View attachment 30218

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

P

phalinmegob

does not take much to knock something glued with pva off plastic,it forms a fantastic bond with timber as it soaks into the grain but does not stick too well to a smooth surface. ideally as the surface will be hidden by a wooden deck sanding the surface of the plastic roughly would help the pva to adhere better.try not to get it on the face of the wooden deck unless it is already sealed and finished as it will start to soak into the grain and require sanding out......this is based on my joinery skills not model making skills.lol

R

Richy C

Cheers Andrew , thinking about it I will be using acyrilic paints and clear coats and with being water based could lift or bubble the wooden deck once applied even if it was stuck down , I might give the wooden deck a coat of humbrol satin clear first to seal it both top and underside , with a bit of luck and it works I should be free to use pva or any solvent glue to stick it - and it wont bubble or lift when spraying with acrylics ?

Richy

B

Bunkerbarge

I would use either cyano or araldite to stick the wood to the plastic but, technically, even those shouldn't stick to the plastic so I would roughen up the plastic surface as much as possible. The best bet, and the one I would go for, would be to glue plastic transverse beams across the hull and then use these to secure the deck. This could either be with small screws through the wood and into the plastic or plastic pins going through a hole in the wood secured with a plastic collar above the deck. This could then all be glued very securely with normal polystyrene cement.

Obviously any fastenings would have to be hidden within the superstructure or turret mountings.