1:450 scale Japanese Aircraft Carrier AKAGI

F

Fenlander

I have never done a ship before and as there is a 'War in the Pacific' Group Build on the Promodellers forum, I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and take part.

I have been looking at this kit online for some time. As you know, I like the odd and unusual and I just loved the look of this amazing conversion from a battle Cruiser to an Aircraft Carrier done in the 1930's. In 1941 (I think) it had the extended full length flight deck fitted to be able to get the larger aircraft into the air.

She, if the Japanese have female for their ships, saw extensive action up to and including the battle of Midway. She was damaged by attacks from American bombers and was evacuated except for repair crew and her Captain while she burned through the night. The next morning against all expectations, she was still afloat and the Captain and repair crew were evacuated and she was deliberately sunk by Japanese torpedo bombers.

I knew it was meant to be when I finally visited the superb Model Shop while away last week in Porthmadog and there was the kit, sitting on the shelf just waiting for me to pick it up!!!!!

Anyway, should be a fairly simple paint job as it is mainly three colours, Hull Red, Grey and deck colour. Painting the 22 1:450 aircraft to go on top should be fun though lol

I will be attempting this, a 1:450 scale Japanese Aircraft Carrier AKAGI for my first ship build, should be fun.......

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Graham,

I've been waiting for a 1/144 version of this for a couple of years now. There's a company called Soar Art who advertised they were doing one but it appears to have been dropped from their website so it don't look like I'm gonna get one now. Bummer!

Still, they got a Bismarck in 1/144 which looked very impressive at the Nuremburg show a couple of years ago. Just gotta wait until I've picked the right numbers on the lottery to find the $3500 needed!

Gern

PS I suppose it's a kind of blessing though. Imagine doing 20 - 30 'planes in 1/144. I'm having problems enough coping with the tiny 1/48 FW 190 I'm doing in the GB!

PPS As you do like the odd and unusual check this one out from the same company - it would make a change from your horses!

1/35 Soar Art Dora - planetArmor

Edit:

PPPS I forgot to say the tank shown for comparison is 1/35 scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

I was looking at this in a magazine. If it is the same one, you get 2 mt, 6 feet, of track to display it on lol. It is odd but far to rich for my wallet.

As is the new 1:6th A34 Comet tank from Armortek. Electronics and special effects extra but basic kit is £2,995.00. However, you will be pleased to know the price does include vat!!!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dragon do a couple of monsters to both a self propelled and as a rail road version

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So hows that AC comming along?

F

Fenlander

Not done much to it as yet. I have been struggling for time to do any modelling. I decided that tonight I would get stuck in to tho 190, it is now nearly 10 past 9 at night and I have not done a thing. Also, sad really, but I do my modelling on my computer desk which is not small but not too big either. The AcC is as long as my desk is wide and I have no where to put me bits lol.

Must try to get some dining table time and crack on.