1/48 Display Cases

R

rjwood_uk

Does anyone know where to get display cases that will fit a 1/48 aircraft?

I can find loads for 1/24 cars 1/12 cars 1/16 motorbikes but none for 1/48 aircraft.

will one of these fit a 1/48 aircraft anyway?

B

Bunkerbarge

Isn't it more dependant on the dimensions of the individual aircraft?

A case for a 1/48th Mossie is going to be a bit differrent to one for a 1/48th Harrier or an F-16.

I woul say get the dimensions of the aircraft in question then go and look for suppliers of cases. Tailor made or "of the peg" you still need the dimensions of the model in question.

R

rjwood_uk

yea true. well i just did a custom one on the site John sent me and for my f-16 it will cost £54!!!

and i need 5 of those sized ones lol

and an even bigger one for an eagle

and an even bigger one for a tomcat

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Make your own showcases.

Well you know the answer RJ ? build your own,go down to your local DIY store and buy some sheets of acrylic double glazing material,get some slotted stripwood timber and make up individual frames the size you need,you need five of these plus a suitable base,the individual frames can be glued together to make the four sides,then the lid can be made removeable.

Glass is expensive,heavy and dangerous if you do not get the correct grade,acrylic is ideal,you could even get someone to cut the panels for you to size to save time and trouble.

A piece of MDF will suffice for the base which can even be made as the diorama itself suitably painted and modelled up.

Another idea if you do not want to build your own cabinets,would be to purchase a floor standing display cabinet from Ikea or somewhere else,we got one for around £300 which would accomodate around eight 1=48th scale models safely,just an idea.

yea true. well i just did a custom one on the site John sent me and for my f-16 it will cost £54!!!and i need 5 of those sized ones lol

and an even bigger one for an eagle

and an even bigger one for a tomcat

B

Bunkerbarge

Richard as I say to my team on a regular basis, "Don't tell me why you can't do it, tell me how you can"

It's all about a positive attitude to achieving what you want. 54 pounds is actually not bad for a good size case, my Bismarck one cost 100.00, but if it is too much make your own or look for ways to adapt something.

All my motorcycle models are housed in a glass case that used to be a serving counter for a small garage many years ago. My brother rescued it when he was working there and I cleaned it up, added an additional glass shelf, put flock paper in the bottom and I have a superb display case that cost me nothing.

Making your own case is something you could easily have a go at and you could have it exactly the size you require.

R

rjwood_uk

i am making the case for my musashi as i can get the acrylic cut exaclty to size, and the wood cut exactly to size for nearly half the price of buying a pre-made case.

another option is to buy a large display glass display cabinet to replace some old wooden storage cupboards that go on the wall above my bed. i have sent off for a quote for one but it is 1.5m long, 2foot deep and 2.5 foot high. and a shelf in the middle (to fit in some 1/32 models)

so lets see what i get back from that!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy RJ,

Check out this link: http://www.megahobby.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?preadd=action&key=IMX2504

Here you will find a product by "IMEX" . its a 1:48th scale aircraft display case.

IMX2504.jpg

(IMX2504) 1-48 Aircraft Showcase Clear Base Display Case by Imex

1:48 Aircraft Case. Also suitable as 1:72 Aircaft Case or 1:35 Military Display Case Inside Dimensions: 12.44in L x 10.87in W x 5.32in. Comes with a Clear Base.

Retail Price:

Your Price: $15.95

Qty:

Item Options:

Price with your options:

If you dont order it from the above link, maybe squiffy can order it for you.

Hope this helps, have a good day,

Greg

S

Saul Sheldon

Hi

IKEA do a free standing glass display case with three 36cm by 36cm glass shelves for about 40 quid.

It would be a tight fit maybe for a 1/48 f-14 or f-15 but they might get in diagonally. It's all glass though so doesn't look tight if you see what i mean

I've crammed 12 1/72 planes in mine, including DC-3, Ju-52, He 111, TSR- 2 and that.

Hope that helps, best of luck,

Saul

U

uncle george

\ said:
Does anyone know where to get display cases that will fit a 1/48 aircraft?I can find loads for 1/24 cars 1/12 cars 1/16 motorbikes but none for 1/48 aircraft.

will one of these fit a 1/48 aircraft anyway?
Hi A firm local to me can and does make perspex display cases to order. They have done stuff for the big museums in London so are pretty good. Contact me if you want more info. Uncle george