1/48 Macchi 202

First Name
Mike
This is a few years old now, it's the 1/48 Hasegawa Macchi Mc.202. The kit is fantastic, I did very little additional work to it except add some gubbins in the wheel wells, and I also made my own decals.

C

Caledonia

Wow Mike, that camo scares me, did you do it free hand? Top marks from me for a fabulous build/paint job. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cool job on that smoke ring camo.

Can I ask which decal film you use? I think I recall you saying you have an ALPS It turns out great decals..!

Nice one.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job Mike the camo looks excellent. Did you free hand the smoke rings or do it with some type of mask? cheers ton

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job Mike, lov the camo, :cool: thinking the same as Tony how did you do the rings ?

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautifully done Mike, in all aspects. Like Ian I too would like to ask which decal film you used. Home made decals are something I would like to try.

First Name
Mike
Thanks for the nice words :smiling3:

\ said:
Wow Mike, that camo scares me, did you do it free hand? Top marks from me for a fabulous build/paint job. Cheers Derek
I took the easy way out... http://mikegrantdecals.com/SmokeRings.html

\ said:
Cool job on that smoke ring camo.Can I ask which decal film you use? I think I recall you saying you have an ALPS It turns out great decals..!
Cheers Ian, I use Tango Papa decal paper, easily the best paper I've ever used. However it's for laser-printing rather than ink-jet, but works great in the ALPS.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Fabulous as always Mike. I notice all your kits seem to appear in 'showroom' condition - or is it that any weathering you do is too subtle for me to pick up?

Gern

B

BigZimmo

Hi Mike!!!

Wow, wow, wow...............absolutely stunning!! Another great strike from your assembly line!! :smiling3:

I built this kit two years ago. For the camouflage rings I also used Decals from Mike Grant. ;)

First Name
Mike
Thanks again guys :smiling3:

\ said:
Fabulous as always Mike. I notice all your kits seem to appear in 'showroom' condition - or is it that any weathering you do is too subtle for me to pick up?
Cheers Gern. My aim is for 'appropriate' weathering, so on this Macchi I've added exhaust stains, a little bit of wear at the wing root and some dust on the tyres. I know the current vogue is to weather the heck out of everything but I kind of like them cleaner; YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Caledonia

Weathering that camo scheme would spoil it in my view. But each to their own. Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That those smoke rings are decals is even more amazing. That Tango papa film must be really thin!

Laser printer.... Hmm got one of them at work.....

Ian M

S

spongtastic

\ said:
Thanks again guys :smiling3: Cheers Gern. My aim is for 'appropriate' weathering, so on this Macchi I've added exhaust stains, a little bit of wear at the wing root and some dust on the tyres. I know the current vogue is to weather the heck out of everything but I kind of like them cleaner; YMMV.
I had the chance to meet Bill Gunston many years ago and I asked about the illustrations in his books and he said the same thing. Weathering should be appropriate, which is why the F4U1 I'm building will be very clean compared to the Soviet P40. But that is still one awesome build.

A

AJay

Very cool build and like others have mentioned, excellent paintbox!