1/72 HobbyBoss - Macchi MC.200 "Saetta"

B

BigZimmo

Hi Folks!!

The MC.200 "Saetta" (flash) was a low-wing, all-metal construction. The pilot sat in a high cockpit which offered him an excellent field of view.

The air-cooled 14-cylinder radial engine Fiat A.74 with 870 PS was not an excessively powerful engine, but brought the Saetta to a top speed of 502km / h in 4520m altitude.

The primary armament were two 12.7 mm machine gun, which were mounted on the aircraft nose that they fired through the gaps of the characteristic cylinder head covers.

Saetta's baptism of fire was in September 1940 when the 6.Gruppo participated in the first air operations against Malta.

My model represents a machine of 362 Squadriglia, 22 Gruppo Autonomo how she came for use in early 1942 in Krivoy Rog in the Soviet Union.

It's a typical HobbyBoss-Kit. Good fit, nice surface details but no cockpit or landing gear bay details.

The assembly was quick and easy. After assembling I painted the model with Aqua Colors from Revell.

For the camo-spots I used a homemade paper template.

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3:

View attachment 80949

View attachment 80950

View attachment 80951

View attachment 80952

View attachment 80953

View attachment 80954

View attachment 80955

View attachment 80956

View attachment 80957

View attachment 80958

MC.200.jpg

MC.200 (1).jpg

MC.200 (2).jpg

MC.200 (3).jpg

MC.200 (4).jpg

MC.200 (5).jpg

MC.200 (6).jpg

MC.200 (7).jpg

MC.200 (8).jpg

MC.200 (9).jpg

P

Polux

Very nice little build. The paint work is magnificent as the wash over the engine as well.

Ouch! Forget...interesting story text ;)

Cheers

Polux

W

Willi262

I did some research about Italian aircraft designs of the war and came to the following conclusions...

They left their warmongering days back with the Roman empire. Italy to me (a Canadian) is a country of artists, classical music, operas, lovers, and chefs. These people don't fight. Thusly, all their aircraft were done as works of art. Took too long to mass produce. Too much hand crafting. Eventually they managed to overcome a good measure of it, but just like the nazis, it was often too little, too late.

Don't get me wrong by the way, I do have Italian blood in me (as well as Scottish and dutch-german), so it's nothing personal to any Italians who may be reading this...

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Stefan, I have only seen the Revell Saetta before so nice to see the Hobby Boss offering. Very nicely finished and presented, top stuff. It was at the request of the Italian pilots that the cockpit was not enclosed. Under powered and under armed, it was apparently a nice aeroplane to fly once they ironed out a few spin nasties.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very good build Stefan,great paint and weathering with the touch off the ground crew and pilot, well done