1930's Aberdeen Steam Trawler - Modified 1/48 Calder Craft Milford Star

M

mobear

wife seen this and went i quote`bloody hell!`i looked and went quote`wow`this is gorgeous mate really really first class

mobear

ps thnx for pics

C

Caledonia

Thanks Ole and Mrs Ole, your support as always is greatly appreciated.

Just a brief update; Phase 1 of the rigging is complete i.e. the Mast Stays and Funnel. Used 1mm dia black cord with the cast bronze 3.5mm thimbles from modellingtimbers.co.uk lightly dusted the cord to look like rusting wire. The mast stays on a Trawler were steel wire brush painted with grease to inhibit corrosion, inevitably the grease collected dirt and went black very quickly, and rust very quickly began to show through.

View attachment 49731View attachment 49732View attachment 49736View attachment 49734View attachment 49735

Next part of the rigging will be the shrouds, foremast derrick and bag ropes. Cheers Derek

View attachment 52463

View attachment 52464

View attachment 52465

View attachment 52466

View attachment 52467

B279.jpg

B280.jpg

B282.jpg

B283.jpg

B281.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear

if rust can be beautifully made then you have accomplished it,really well done mate

mobear

C

Caledonia

Your continued support is much appreciated Ole mate.

Have now finished the Foremast Derrick and Rigging, also the ratlines and shrouds (rope ladders to you and me), also the bag ropes and Derrick lift line. I have shown the post side bagging ropes fitted, and the starboard bagging ropes disconnected as they would be in order to allow the nets to be recovered onboard after the codend's contents are discharged into the fishpond.

View attachment 49907View attachment 49908View attachment 49909View attachment 49910View attachment 49911

Moving on now to the Lifeboat lashings and Boom rigging.

Cheers Derek

View attachment 52634

View attachment 52635

View attachment 52636

View attachment 52637

View attachment 52638

B284.jpg

B285.jpg

B286.jpg

B287.jpg

B288.jpg

Last edited:
C

Caledonia

I am going to make this my last entry in the 'Under Construction' as the end is nigh.

Finished the rear Mast Boom and lashing of the Lifeboat.

View attachment 50147View attachment 50148

I am changing the 3 blade white metal propeller supplied with the kit for a more realistic 4 blade larger diameter brass one which would have been fitted to Trawlers. Will dull it down and weather it so that it looks old and pitted.

View attachment 50149

So have to fit the radio aerial; the lanyard from the steam whistle on the front of the funnel to the wheelhouse, finish off the painting and weathering and attempt to splice some eyes on the mooring ropes.

Thanks to everyone who followed this build and offered many words of encouragement. Will post photos of the finished Trawler in the 'Ship and Boat Picture' section some time next week hopefully. Cheers Derek

View attachment 52861

View attachment 52862

View attachment 52863

B289.jpg

B290.jpg

B291.jpg

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Derek i have been watching this build and its been an pleasure the skills and dedication you have is just awe inspireing and now i'm waiting with baited breath for the final photos great work

S

Sky Raider

Thats Beutiful Derek. A piece of work to be proud of...

Andy

W

womblrup

Here is a source for parts:

RB Model - home page

I have ordered twice from them, payd with paypal, about two weeks delivery time and no problems.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Here is a source for parts:RB Model - home page

I have ordered twice from them, payd with paypal, about two weeks delivery time and no problems.
Many thanks, always good to have more suppliers, may need them for my S.Y. Scotia project. Cheers Derek

F

Fenlander

Seconded on RB Models, I have ordered gun barrels from them and they have arrived very quickly, I have no problem using them at all.