1954 hydrofoil

A

artic-corsair

1954 hydroplane

well not built in 1954 ,but taken from a pratical mechanics magazine from 1954 of a one person hydroplane boat that uses a 5to10hp outboard motor, i'm hoping to build one oneday but i wanted to test one so i built this one as per the original design,the outboard on the model does push the hydro along ,this i moded with 380 motor, running on 8.4volt 900mah ae size cells, supatec micro servo , standard 2 chan rx 15amp speedo.the yellow one is a modern design from the states.

View attachment 13686

View attachment 13687

View attachment 13688

View attachment 13689

hydro plans.JPG

hydro3s.JPG

57_1.jpg

hydro2s.JPG

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What a great model,just goes to prove that they do not all have to be monsters to have fun with.

D

duncan

Yep , that is a hydroplane. Still raced in the UK in that size. Usualy up to 1 litre both outboard and inboard engines. Midlands , Essex and Oulton Broad are strongholds. Exciting to watch, bit like speedway on water with heats. The unlimited classes in USA are realy amazing with Merlin engines now being replaced with gas turbines.

S

squiffythewombat

Great model and different which is what makes it so intresting!

Can i ask why you opted to use 8.4v not 9.6v or 10.8v?

A

artic-corsair

Great model and different which is what makes it so intresting!Can i ask why you opted to use 8.4v not 9.6v or 10.8v?
because the boats only 300mm long , and is plenty fast enough with this set up.

D

duncan

The original magazine plans for a few of these are available from craig@svensons.com Free ! If you are planning a full size one. Bit dated but still thrilling. Lots of free model aeroplane plans too on www.svensons.com

Last edited: