Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And what are you going to do after dinner?!?!? lol

Tell you what that pilot look good. Compared to some of the blobs of plastic the come with some of the more expensive kits.

I like your solution for the to tall for the plane pilot by the way!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So I says to meself "that cheapo kit will make a nice G-14AS". I says to Ron "I'm building this for a bit of light relief". Dearo, deary me,there must be something wrong with me! The AS has a slightly different cowling I remembered. Does it hell,it's a very different cowling. I've got most of today off so I decided to fix it. I've moulded some Milliput lumps to re-model (is that a word?) the cowling. Obviously these will now need to be sanded, puttied in, and generally fettled,this is just stage one, along with the now filled screw holes ,wing roots,leading edges etc,etc,etc. Then it will just be a bit of rescribing and scribing.

Luckily I won't be able to do anything for a couple of days,so I'll come back all bright eyed and bushy tailed and attempt to retrieve what frankly looks like a bit of a mess over the weekend!

It's all good fun.

Cheers

Steve

M

m1ks

\ said:
It says on the box that a ten year old can build it so I should be okay.

Cheers

Steve
Good job you're doing well with that Steve, as you can never find a ten year old to help when you need one :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Having failed to find a ten year old to build this I've pressed on with filling sanding and adjusting the cowling to approximate the machine I'm representing. A squirt of primer has revealed a couple of minor tweaks that will be required before rescribing but as far as the fuselage (screw holes) and wings go it's fine.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Top job of getting rid of the srew holes, looking mighty fine there sir.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've applied a typical late war camouflage scheme,low demarcation and heavy mottle. Only odd bit is that the fin and rudder were in RLM74 with RLM83 mottle. Someone didn't like it and oversprayed a light colour,I've used RLM76,to tone it down.

All done freehand with my trusty Iwata Eclise and Xtracrylix paints.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slow progress due to work. I have retro sprayed the undersize ( less than 900mm but that's how it is in my reference) red RDV band which I had completely forgotten and also fitted the gunsight. Thanks Graham (Fenlander) for the reminder! I've also beaten the somewhat recalcitrant decals,some from kit,some from spares,into shape. Sprayed thinned RLM75 over white border of fuselage Balkenkreuz,it was common to dull these down even early in the war, and then given the whole model a sprayed coat of grey tinted Klear.

Most of this is unnoticeable due to my photgraphic ineptitude so you'll have to take my word for it.

I'm very busy for the next couple of weeks but I'll see if I can squeeze in enough hours to get this finished. It'll never win a prize but on the top shelf it'll look like a Bf109 and the materials have cost more than the kit LOL.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm calling this done. Klaus Grothues of 9.JG300 has been sat in his cockpit since first light at "sitzbereitschaft" (cockpit readiness). He's just got the signal to go and is gesticulating to his crew to start him up. He'll finish today as a POW.

I'll stick some more piccies in my gallery when I get a chance.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

Superb Steve, a snapshot in time made all the more interesting by the fact that it actually happened. A lovely 109 model as well, brilliant.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job steve as always, perfect mottling and a great pilot too.An excellent result for not much money - i like it! BTW, i didnt realise the germans used P.S.P too !!LOL cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

You've done yet another absolutely stunning build, transforming that mediocre kit.

Great job!

Paul

F

Fenlander

I love your builds Steve, you always make them out to be only justers when in reality, they are just super. Not only a well painted and really well made model, but so meticulously researched to, and it shows.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful! Why don't more folks include pilots? 'cos yours adds just that touch of what's going on to make it a scale model of the real thing - not just a dust collector for your shelf.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm glad you like it and thanks for the kind comments. The kit may not be for the pureists but hey,it looks like a 109 to me and for a tenner...... It also contains one of, if not the best pilot figures I've seen.

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

Its not the model, its the modeller that makes them look good, and you made this look the business.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After such a long absence I will never be able to catch up properly, but I had to root this one out as it's the same 21st Century 109 I did a bit back.

What a cracking build Steve, really nice.

Top marks for the research and alterations you did to get it right, well beyond my scope. lol

Now I know why my pilot wouldn't fit and ended up in the classic German fighter pilot's pose and not inboard....THE SEAT!

I thought it was duff building on my part.

I also notice your reference to the screw holes, when I did mine there were plastic plug inserts for these and if you selected the right one for the right hole they fitted flush with the fuse. surface. Were yours missing?

I'm glad you found the pilot top notch and you made a superb job on him. He's a cracker isn't he?

Once again, very well done on a tenner's worth!

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I also notice your reference to the screw holes, when I did mine there were plastic plug inserts for these and if you selected the right one for the right hole they fitted flush with the fuse. surface. Were yours missing?

Ron
Hi Ron and thanks for the nice comments. There were plastic plugs but they certainly didn't fit flush. I don't think I got them in the wrong places but anything is possible!

The pilot really is outstanding. You could bang on about this shortcoming or that just as you could about a kit that costs ten times as much but when all's said and done you get a perfectly reasonable 1/32 scale Bf109 for about a tenner. I'll stick it on a shelf with some much more expensive models and only I'll know the difference.....well,you lot as well.

Cheers

Steve