28mm Reaper Miniatures Wizard, Luwin Phost.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A bit of a departure for me and my first miniature in a few years.

Clearly I've got a long way to go but I'm very happy with how it turned out and it's taught me a few things that I can hopefully build upon. I'd like there to be a follow up soon but after several hours searching I can't find anything I like the look of, so it may be another few years :smiling5:

2023-04-16 11.02.20.jpg2023-04-16 11.02.50.jpg2023-04-16 11.03.22.jpg2023-04-16 11.11.49.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I reckon that's a real cracker Andy. Until the last photo I had no idea it was so small.

Reactions: JR

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You been inspired by the D&D film and going to start RPGs?
Absolutely not, ill leave that to my son. :smiling5: He keeps trying to drag me into D&D, 40k, even MTG but they're not really my thing.

I reckon that's a real cracker Andy. Until the last photo I had no idea it was so small.
Thanks Jim. I wasn't expecting it to be so small either when I ordered it online!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very well done!

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Can’t stop now pal he looks great, these are quite nice little figures that can be bought as singles from the Star Wars legion sets
74AAAD5D-58F9-4429-9A63-9C24028E0220.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superbly painted andy , its black magic to me , figure painting . Ive done a few but can never get the shading right , i always seem to end up with loads of coats of paint caked on !

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Tony, and Andrew too. Sorry I missed your post earlier.

Yes there's definitely some witchcraft involved. Getting the paint thinned just right seems to be the secret but I've not got the knack yet!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Just saw this Andy and you definitely have a talent for these mini figure thangs!!! That is a great finish on something so small and the colors are spot on Sir!!! The big question is...........With or without the optivisor??? Inquiring minds want to know........Super stuff!!!

Prost
Allen

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Allen. I've still got a lot to learn about all this but call it beginners luck :smiling5:

And absolutely with magnification! I've been trying out the Donegan optisight, which is a budget alternative to their optivisor, but to be honest I mostly used my trusty pound shop reading glasses in +3.5 strength as I don't keep banging them on everything :nerd:

Cheers Andy. Back to normal service now as I've started a Kubelwagen but my lad is going to rummage through his spare stuff to find me a few more figures to practice on.

He has about 30 zombies I could have but that's far too much skin to paint just yet :surprised:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, you certainly made that look easy…..Fabulous stuff. It’s even got some OSL on it…..

Not sure what type of figure you are looking for, but the Oathmark Orcs by North Star are really nice looking sculpts. I’m cleaning some up at the moment and am very impressed…..
If you are just looking for something a bit different, try something like the “Pulp” range by Bob Murchison or Crooked dice’ 7TV’s various TV themed figures……loads of inspiration there……otherwise let me know what you are looking for and I’ll try to point you in the right direction…..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
Here at the Towers Matron rallied the Committee upon seeing this, they were suitablely impressed, esp with that bottle for comparison.
You've got
2020DB.jpg
Congratulations.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Right on Target Andy!! And a well deserved Dog's if I do say so myself. Very impressed with your ability to conjure up such a good looking little guy as that. I think Smiffy is right about you barking up Tim's tailpipes....Excellent result! :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That looks good Andy, good practise too starting with the tiny ones first. ;)

Cheers,
Wabble

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, you certainly made that look easy…..Fabulous stuff. It’s even got some OSL on it…..
Thank you Tim, that really means a lot. The online academy that is YouTube helped greatly, although with so many different styles on show it can be confusing too! A bit of coaching from my lad, particularly on the subtle osl, helped too.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, one of those where I'll know when I see it, but definitely fantasy for now. I had a quick look at the pulp figures and some of those might be up my street.

To everyone else, thank you so much, especially the committee for the award! It's the usual Monday morning rush for work so sorry that I can't reply to you all individually but your comments are greatly appreciated and humbling :smiling4:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thank you Tim, that really means a lot. The online academy that is YouTube helped greatly, although with so many different styles on show it can be confusing too! A bit of coaching from my lad, particularly on the subtle osl, helped too.

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, one of those where I'll know when I see it, but definitely fantasy for now. I had a quick look at the pulp figures and some of those might be up my street.

To everyone else, thank you so much, especially the committee for the award! It's the usual Monday morning rush for work so sorry that I can't reply to you all individually but your comments are greatly appreciated and humbling :smiling4:
Yep, there is a great deal of stuff on youtube. I’m a bit of a fan of Vince Ventruella myself. Not for his painting style, which is completely different to mine, but for his technique videos. I especially like the paint comparison stuff and ways of working with various colours that he shows. He also paints while he talks, which show it all in real time, mistakes and all.

For figures, there are a huge number of manufacturers out there, but as always, some are better than others.

For starters, try Northstar or Perry miniatures. Northstar stock a large number of ranges so there is plenty to browse through, and Perrys have a huge selection of historical figures if that is your inclination. With the Perrys, the sculpting is top notch, but the casting can sometimes leave a bit to be desired.

Bloody miniatures might also be worth a look. They are a relatively new manufacturer that has an excellent range of English Civil War figures with real character.

Lastly try Warlord miniatures. Just be aware that some of the older ranges can be a little “wooden” in pose, but there is a huge selection there, with some very interesting stuff…..Queen Victoria with a blunderbuss, for example…..

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Tim, I'll look into those when I'm home.

VV gave me a lightbulb moment when he talked about unloading thin paint onto a paper towel. I can't remember anyone else mentioning it before but it perfectly explained why I couldn't get on with thin layers.

Of course I now notice everyone doing it :smiling5:

Another guy I watch a lot of is Doctor Faust (sp?)
Very different style but like VV he explains the why , rather than just the how, which is better for me.

Also Marco Frisoni, the most enthusiastic man on the planet, but I can't help waiting for him to intro a video with "Hallo, everybody peeps" :tears-of-joy:

Last edited: