3D ‘decals’

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have written about these before. But first, to those who have not used them please don’t get confused by the word decal. These resemble decals only in respect of the elements being carried on paper and are removed by soaking. They are, in use, more like painted etch detailing sets. Instead of metal they are 3D printed vinyl and need to be glued into place using a pva type glue. Despite being used in the same way as etch I find them a lot easier to use and the good ones are better detailed.

But, and this comes to the point of this post, all are not equal.

Several companies produce these.

The original and best are Quinta Studios but this is a Russian company and, right now, people may well have qualms about using them.

Other providers include Red Fox Studios and these are also superb, thoroughly recommended.

Eduard have also started producing them and these too are good

Then there is Kits World who make some excellent traditional decal sets. Their ‘3D Decals’ are another matter.

I have used them on a few builds now and all I can say is that they are better than nothing. They are just not up to the detailing and quality of Red Fox or Quinta.

I will say though, that their best seatbelt sets are quite good, not great, but better and more usable than the etch alternatives.

The problems are with their ip and other cockpit detailing sets. Apart from their lacking the level of clarity and detail of the others, there can be issues with their colour register.

I am just starting a Kinetic Sea Harrier and, in error, ordered two sets of their internal detailing sets. I opened the first and found it totally unusable so I checked the second on and it is better, not perfect, but usable.

Here they are side by side.
EBAFAC16-A662-413A-B2AC-681F09A4A564.jpeg

You can see, I am sure, exactly what I mean.

The other issue with Kitsworld is a lack of instructions. It’s not such a problem with the Harrier but with the Lancaster trying to work out where parts go was very difficult indeed and I will never know how many I got right!

So this is really just a warning. Be careful of Kitsworld 3D Decals. If you get them, check them for register and, if necessary, return them to the retailer. Only too often I get my a.m. and just shove it in a box having hardly looked at it until too late.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just a quick follow up to the above. The Kits World set’s lack of instructions is a bigger problem than I thought. I still have half the elements left over with no idea where they go! So I have left them off.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks Barry.... Saw them for a plane I'm doing.... Will give them a miss!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
My biggest issue with them is the price. Some of them cost as much, if not more than the original kit they are intended for. Whilst i don't mind adding detail. Sometimes i wonder, what's the point if you're going to see naff all when it's built.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Interesting idea but, to be honest, those are woeful in clarity and definition. Nice heads up Barry on the these.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
My biggest issue with them is the price. Some of them cost as much, if not more than the original kit they are intended for. Whilst i don't mind adding detail. Sometimes i wonder, what's the point if you're going to see naff all when it's built.
Personally I don’t have a problem with the price. Perhaps it’s because the kits I choose are usually not the cheapest anyway!

Don’t get me wrong I do have my limits for instance the HK 1/48 Lanc and spending £60 for the brass undercarriage on a kit costing around £100! I could easily have spent on aftermarket 150% of the kit original cost…..

I would recommend ‘horses for courses’ and judge each case on its merits. Don’t even just dismiss Kits World, if that’s all available or the choice is between an etch set and the 3D set, my inclination would be towards the Kits World. Quinta and Fox would be preferred to anything else, these can be amazing and worth the purchase price.

I recommend trying them some day, perhaps on a project that justifies the cost as not all do.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Another point to follow up.

With Quinta (not sure about Red Fox) you find that seal belts are always included, they also have great instructions and are very comprehensive. So take that into account for cost.

For the Sea Harrier I had to get a separate etch seatbelt set as well as the interior detailing set and that really added up. So while Quinta look expensive you really get a lot more for your money and it’s great quality

It’s just sad that they are Russian so spending money on them does go a little against the grain at the moment. .

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Just had a look at the Quinta prices for a Revell Fw190 A8/F8, Bf109 G6 and Ju88 A4. The Fw190 was £20 (about 48% of kit price), The Bf109 was £25 (110% of kit price) and Ju88 A4 was £45 (100% of kit price).

Sorry but nothing justifies that sort of spend (by me) unless i'm spending on a resin conversion such as AIMS or my 50mm cannon for the Me262

That being said. If it floats your boat. Then fill yer boots. But they aint all that 'uber' imho when you can see sod all of them afterwards

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Just had a look at the Quinta prices for a Revell Fw190 A8/F8, Bf109 G6 and Ju88 A4. The Fw190 was £20 (about 48% of kit price), The Bf109 was £25 (110% of kit price) and Ju88 A4 was £45 (100% of kit price).

Sorry but nothing justifies that sort of spend (by me) unless i'm spending on a resin conversion such as AIMS or my 50mm cannon for the Me262

That being said. If it floats your boat. Then fill yer boots. But they aint all that 'uber' imho when you can see sod all of them afterwards
Value is always in the eye of the beholder of course.

Take the Tamiya 1/32 F15. Cost around £120, Quinta set £29 including seatbelts, sounds good for me and an open cockpit makes it very visible.

Tamiya P51 in 1/32, approx £120 as well, Quinta £22. Also with an open cockpit very visible. In my case though, the kits is good enough to do without the Quinta but such a set does massively improve it.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have just started the AMK 1/48 Mig31

For this I am using the Quinta Studios 3D set and just look at this…

Simply exquisite, amazing detail and rendition. Nothing can match them

506C8467-0E7C-406C-96AA-FFB7D7DBA2CA.jpeg

They also provide good instructions
09F7D753-FCF6-4B79-9C33-E35A2C88B962.jpeg

The only issue is, as with all coloured detailing sets, accurate colour matching.

Quinta sets are matched to a Russian paint brand but, while not exact, are not far off MRP and close enough for me.

Finally, they are a Russian brand. I bought these before the war and won’t buy any more until the war is over. Sad but I think the right thing under the current circumstances.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I have just started the AMK 1/48 Mig31

For this I am using the Quinta Studios 3D set and just look at this…

Simply exquisite, amazing detail and rendition. Nothing can match them

View attachment 477113

They also provide good instructions
View attachment 477114

The only issue is, as with all coloured detailing sets, accurate colour matching.

Quinta sets are matched to a Russian paint brand but, while not exact, are not far off MRP and close enough for me.

Finally, they are a Russian brand. I bought these before the war and won’t buy any more until the war is over. Sad but I think the right thing under the current circumstances.
I was going to ask about colopur matching. Is it just a case of trial and error with a bit of luck thrown in?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I was going to ask about colopur matching. Is it just a case of trial and error with a bit of luck thrown in?
Generally speaking I have not had an issue. I use the appropriate colour for the cockpit and never mix paint. In every case, while not exact, it has been close enough specially after weathering and not noticeable on the finished model.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Are the red ejection handles painted on both sides Barry? Just wondered?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Are the red ejection handles painted on both sides Barry? Just wondered?
Based on a previous set, yes, the rear is coloured. They don’t look quite so good in reverse so you need to position them for best effect.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Barry,
I have few sets as yet unused (Q & KW) ready for when I start to do some wing things. And must say they are a lot better to look at than the etch brass with a film trapped and the later pre-painted issue. Hopefully the price of some will come down as their popularity increases.
Mike.