41(Fighter) Squadron in 1/48 - the story so far...

S

snapper41

Hi all;

As you probably know, I have set myself the challenge to build all of 41(Fighter) Squadron's aircraft in 1/48. I served on 41 as the squadron intelligence officer from 1991-4, and it was the best tour of my RAF career. I've been putting images on here of completed builds piecemeal, but several of you have kindly asked to see the whole collection so far. Sadly, some of the models are so big (F-4!) that I can't photograph them all together, so here are shots of all those I've finished to date. In no particular order, they are:

Roden SE5a

Inpact Hawker Fury (50 year old kit, and excellent!)

Airfix Spit I

Tamiya Spit I converted to IIa with Roll Models resin conversion

Special Hobby Spit XII

Academy Spit XIVc

Classic Airframes Gloster Meteor F8

Revell/Hasegawa Phantom FGR2

There is still a long way to go!!!

View attachment 78160

View attachment 78161

View attachment 78162

View attachment 78163

View attachment 78164

View attachment 78165

View attachment 78166

View attachment 78167

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

12a.jpg

14b.jpg

fury1.jpg

met1.jpg

ph1.jpg

se1.jpg

First Name
Mike
That's an excellent collection, so nice it's hard to pick out a favourite (although I must admit the Fury's especially appealing). Great job on the CA Meteor, too.

First Name
Dave
Some great builds there.The Phantom is my favourite.Looked even better when I saw it on your table at Telford.

S

snapper41

Mike; the Fury kit is excellent; released by Inpact in the 60s, and re-issued since by Pyro and Lifelike. It's probably better than the more recent Airfix offering, but I haven't built one of those. The instructions give you a complete rigging guide, and there's a reel of rigging line supplied in the kit too! I have their Bristol Bulldog to do as part of my 41 Sqn project - it looks just as good.

First Name
Mike
Was it also boxed by Lindberg, Andy? I built this kit several years ago and remember being impressed by the level of detail for such an old kit. There was a Gladiator in the same series which I never got around to building.

S

snapper41

Ah yes - Lindberg; I thought there was another boxing! Inspired by your post Mike, I've just pulled the Bulldog out of the stash and made a start! On the side of the box, it says they did a Flycatcher too.

S

snapper41

As an aside, I thought I would let you know my build caveats/criteria. I'm only going to model those aircraft that were on the Sqn for a significant length of time. There were several types, such as the DH5, that only stayed for a few months, so they are off the list. Also, I'm not doing the Oxford and Harvard which appeared in a Sqn limbo period between the Spit 21 and DH Hornet. Finally, and this is a very personal caveat, I will be stopping with the Jaguar when the Sqn disbanded as a front-line squadron in 2006. I will not be building the Tornado or Harrier, as I do not consider that a 'reserve' sqn is a sqn at all - it will never deploy on operations, and it's just a cheap way of making the RAF look bigger than it is, by giving OCUs etc the number of an old sqn. Besides, 41 was never, ever a bomber sqn, so - NO TORNADO!!!!!!!

Last edited:
First Name
Mike
\ said:
Finally, and this is a very personal caveat, I will be stopping with the Jaguar when the Sqn disbanded as a front-line sqaudron in 2006. I will not be building the Tornado or Harrier, as I do not consider that a 'reserve' sqn is a sqn at all - it will never deploy on operations, and it's just a cheap way of making the RAF look bigger than it is, by giving OCUs etc the number of an old sqn. Besides, 41 was never, ever a bomber sqn, so - NO TORNADO!!!!!!!
Tell us how you really feel, Andy ;) Looking forward to seeing your Flycatcher, I'm still waiting for a decent kit of this in 1/72.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Andy you have built some wonderful aircraft there I'm impressed especially with that meteor I want one of them for my British Cold War collection :smiling3:

S

snapper41

Thanks Alan; like all Classic Airframes kits, it's a bit of a challenge, but certainly not the worst I've ever fought. Mike - so you can tell I feel a tiny bit passionate about that, then?!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Thanks Alan; like all Classic Airframes kits, it's a bit of a challenge, but certainly not the worst I've ever fought. Mike - so you can tell I feel a tiny bit passionate about that, then?!
I know what you meen , if you really want a fight try Kitty Hawks 1/48 Septcat jaguar , now that is a fight lol

selrach

SMF Supporter
Andy very nice indeed. I like the counter shading How many types of planes are on your list?

S

snapper41

Selrach; still to do, I have: Eduard DH2; Blue Max Sopwith Snipe; Inpact Bristol Bulldog (just started it); Aeroclub Hawker Demon; Tamiya Spitfire Vb; Aeroclub Spitfire 21 (using Airfix Seafire 46 wings); Academy Spitfire XIVe; Eduard Hawker Tempest; Classic Airframes DH Hornet; Italeri Hawker Hunter (with lots of resin to make it an F5); Airfix Javelin (with Alley Cat resin to make it an FAW8); Airfix Jaguar.

So, not much at all then!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

That is one magnificent collection of 41 squadron aircraft. Thank you for posting! As has been said it's hard to pick a favourite as they're all so very good. Put a gun to my head and I'd probably say the Phantom but it is a very, very hard choice.

It's a great project and I look forward to seeing more instalments.

Cheers

Paul

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Selrach; still to do, I have: Eduard DH2; Blue Max Sopwith Snipe; Inpact Bristol Bulldog (just started it); Aeroclub Hawker Demon; Tamiya Spitfire Vb; Aeroclub Spitfire 21 (using Airfix Seafire 46 wings); Academy Spitfire XIVe; Eduard Hawker Tempest; Classic Airframes DH Hornet; Italeri Hawker Hunter (with lots of resin to make it an F5); Airfix Javelin (with Alley Cat resin to make it an FAW8); Airfix Jaguar.So, not much at all then!
I'll check back tomorrow, see if you're done yet. That's a very nice selection of kits, although not without its challenges. I built the Eduard DH-2 a few years ago and the rigging was 'problematic' ;) Looking forward to seeing the Snipe and the Javelin especially.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb collection so far Andy, they are all top shelf works. If I had to choose one the Phantom would get my vote :smiling3:

P

Polux

Yep!

This collection is coming along very nice!

I think it's a genial idea ;)

Polux

C

Caledonia

Andy, A collection to be proud of. I think IanM is doing a similar project for 74 Sqd. Cheers Derek