A good 'scale' metallic hobby paint.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As the title suggests I am looking for a good Metallic type model paint. Airbrush able.
What have you used and can you show an example of it?
Colour not so important. It is more the effect I am after.

Other interest could be in pearl or candy type colours.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Does any of the car/MC builders know what happens if you spray Tamiya Clear Pearl over their Red Mica?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Saw him test ALL the Tamiya Metallics. 30 mins of my life I will never get back... It was impossible to see the effect, so a waste of time.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Does any of the car/MC builders know what happens if you spray Tamiya Clear Pearl over their Red Mica?
I've never tried it but I would imagine that tending towards pink since the pearl flakes would almost certainly be white (ish)

I'm not sure what kind of effect you're after but for something like the really deep red pearls that are popular at the moment (Mazda Soul Red Crystal being a good example) they generally start out with a salmon or orangy base coat, with a high metallic and red & gold pearl content. Over that goes a red tinted clear / candy layer(s) to bring out the "redness" whilst being transparent enough for light to penetrate through and reflect back off metallic / pearl / mica* underneath.

I think Zero Paints are popular over on the ISM forum where they do a lot of car work as they can match a lot of original car colours.

*While most people still use the term pearl, mica is more technically correct as the particles are overwhelmingly made from glass/ceramic these days, rather than the linings of sea shells.

Stefee

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stefan
Hi Ian,

Whilst none of the following are pearl/mica finishes they might help.

All the finishes are over Ultimate Grey Primer and are all Tamiya acrylics.

The Porsche was mixed with XF11 plus various X gloss colours and overcoated with X22 to replicate Porsche Rosewood Metallic, I think the silver content is scale correct for a 1/25 model.

The spoons are all over the same primer, the dark blue is straight X13, all the others are Tamiya XF11 overcoats with their clear red, orange, yellow and blue (4 coats) then cleared with X22. I didn't have the clear green to try. The more coats of clear colours applied will darken the colour.

Very difficult to capture the amount of sparkle but there is more in real life.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan

20230625_175828.jpg20230625_180226.jpg20230625_180242.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I can recommend the vallejo metal color range Ian , great finish , easy to use and quite resistant to handling / masking .Ive used them on all my recent NMF builds ( I say recent , probably going back a few years ) , much better than vallejo model air metallics. As for the other question , is it a candy apple effect youre after? You might recall a build I did a good few years back https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/bf109-reno-racer-extra-pics.9571/
this was a gold basecoat followed by several coats of tamiya clear red . I expect any range of paints would give the same result , just a transparent colour over a metallic ( silver/ gold even copper ) basecoat .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Ian,

Whilst none of the following are pearl/mica finishes they might help.

All the finishes are over Ultimate Grey Primer and are all Tamiya acrylics.

The Porsche was mixed with XF11 plus various X gloss colours and overcoated with X22 to replicate Porsche Rosewood Metallic, I think the silver content is scale correct for a 1/25 model.

The spoons are all over the same primer, the dark blue is straight X13, all the others are Tamiya XF11 overcoats with their clear red, orange, yellow and blue (4 coats) then cleared with X22. I didn't have the clear green to try. The more coats of clear colours applied will darken the colour.

Very difficult to capture the amount of sparkle but there is more in real life.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Stefan

View attachment 484772View attachment 484773View attachment 484774
Beautiful finish Stefan , take the fence away and you would think it was real .

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Porsche was mixed with XF11 plus various X gloss colours
Cracking finish on the plastic Porsche. Those spoons look good. The red is kind of what I am looking for, and the blues are good too. (not a fan of yellow lol).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It's not Paint that looks like metal I am after. Just metallic paint. You know like what you paint cars with.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Other interest could be in pearl or candy type colours.
I've just ordered some candy blue from Zero paints to test out for the truck GB. Will let you know how I get on when they arrive

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've just ordered some candy blue from Zero paints to test out for the truck GB. Will let you know how I get on when they arrive
That's what I want it for too. :cool:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm not sure how useful these are but I've done them so will put up the pictures. Of course Mr Sun decided not to put his hat on today so the effects aren't too visible under artificial light but I guess it gives a better idea of what they look like under normal display conditions.

This one is Proscale paints candy blue over their medium silver. I also tried out Zero paints candy electric blue which gives a deeper colour but I left that at work so no pictures I'm afraid. It's very similar though, as one would expect since they both appear to be automotive basecoat thinned down to be suitable for airbrushing. As such they are very "hot" and need careful application, but the proscale less so

2023-07-02 09.49.29.jpg

Then this is my own test for the truck build. Zero paints coarse silver overcoated with a semi transparent pearl blue that I had knocking around from some Yamaha R1 panels I painted recently

2023-07-02 09.49.48.jpg

The "stripes" just let me see what it looks like with 0,1,2,3 or more top coats

Probably a bit of self indulgence to post these but they may help.

Attachments

• 2023-07-02 09.49.29.jpg
    2023-07-02 09.49.29.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 0