F

flytilbroke

IN Old MoneyWhat is 8 shillings and 11pence plus 5 shillings

so 8/11 +5/ =

go for it
a good night out or an awful lot of OXO cubes

B

Bunkerbarge

At the end of my days at school I got a holiday job working in a Pub when beer was 2/6 a pint.

I also used to put a gallon of petrol in my moped which cost 2/7, which included a penny's worth of two stroke oil!

I bet Barry can remember it cheaper though!

N

Nigel.D

8/11 +5/

= 8/11+++++++ 9/11 10/11 12/11 13/11 14/11!!!!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Mopeds-Had the first Cazenave in the UK,awful machine when one bulb blew the lot went,happened to me one night coming back home,then had a Raleigh Wisp,followed by the Runabout,then a Raleigh Supermatic which had a vari-belt tensioner and would climb hills.

That two stroke oil was rubbish,it would form beads on the spark plugs,I used to use Molyideum Disulphide,a black oil that coated the bore,it used to shine,a decoke was the norm every month,used to leave the carbon to seal the piston edge and just scrape the crown with a lolly stick,silencers were dunked in caustic soda bath had two in rotation,used to drill one hole just aft of the baffle,performance was increased with a tad of extra noise but who cared back then ? after the mopeds I needed to upgrade to scooters,no I was not a mod or a rocker ! used to buy old scooters from a motorcyclke shop where I worked for a bit of cash part time whilst working with aircraft which was awful pay,strip them down,buy cheapo parts from my employer,the highlight was my Bambi sidecar attached to a Lambretta 175,the most fun machine that I ever owned,loved it and would ride in wind,rain,snow the lot,the wheel spline went whilst coming down a hill and I lost the sidecar wheel,should have seen the sparks flying,shades of Wallis & Grommet !! survived to live and tell the tale, traded that for a Morris Traveller as wanted something to drive the girlfriend around in,several Morris later purchased my first real car a Vauxhall Estate and that was the start of so many that have now lost track of them.

Did thousands of miles on those mopeds,do they still make them ? 49 cc even had the bits for a 29cc Cyclemaster but that never got put together due to lack of spares,told you we were the last of the 'roll the sleeves up' brigade ?

B

Bunkerbarge

My first ever vehicle was a Raleigh Runabout!! I drove that from Manchester to Penrith once with a broken wheel spindle. It cost me ten pounds from my next door neighbour and it was ready and waiting on midnight of my sixteen birthday!! 32 years ago AAAGGGHHH!!!!

I'll tell you the whole story one day!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A friend had a Mobylette,we decided to do a Moped trip, and camping as well touring airfields around Bedfordshire,piled high with tents,pots,pans etc, first stop was Luton airport where we slept that night on what we found out in the morning to be a sewage farm,having arrived late and unable to find somewhere to camp we just set up as is,we were rewarded the next day with the sight of some of the very last Lockheed Constellation's in service with Euravia,the journey continued towards Old WardenShuttleworth's then was not open to the public as we peered over the edge could see TV cameras,as luck would have it they were filming a TV drama centred around a World War one pilot who lived like an hermit in the cockpit of a Bristol Fighter ! they waved us over and we managed to get around the hangars to see the dusty aeroplanes,things were so different then,thrilled to bits it was on the saddle again to our next stop Sywell,then the scene of much crop spraying flying using old Tiger Moth's,an Australian pilot who saw us peering through the hangar called us over and invited us to look over the Tiger,it stunk of Pyrethon which had to be hosed down after a days spraying,this was a lethal substance and caused many early deaths with crop spraying pilots,this all happened at the height of the sugar beet season,the farmers were desperate to kill off the beetle attacks and the organic brigade had yet to arrive on the scene.

Anyway on the homeward stretch my buddy's moped gave up the ghost as the points welded themselves together climbing a big hill,stuck in the middle of nowhere we found a lump of old lorry rope,placed this around the handlebars and I towed him to the centre of Northampton where we found a Mobylette agent,he went away and got a new set of points but the problem was we had run short of money,he trusted my mate and home we went,grubby,tired but happy,his dad took the money to the agent by car the next day,how many would trust you today like that ?

Funny how these things stick in your mind,a sad ending as Barry,my good mate died slowly of leukemia a few years later,so the story of our exploits probably means a lot more to me.

R

rjwood_uk

richard 32 years ago i was -12!!!

i have always wanted a bike since i was little. Now im older..i still want one but i am thinking of practicallity at the moment.

so now i have a car and will hopefully be taking my test soon (going to ask instructor tomorrow) so that will take care of the other half/shopping/holidays...etc so when im about 30 i think i will finaly get a bike purely for my own fun and pleasure! so if the girlfriend says " well you cant get a flat-pack kitchen from Ikea on the back of that" i shall reply...i dont care...

lol

N

Nigel.D

As usual Richard got it 11/11 just doesnt sound right and is easily missed out