A recommended Read

P

Pogo

A very interesting book has just come my way called "Winged Victor".It s the biography of the first world war pilot and author Victor.M.Yates.

He was a Sopwith Camel pilot ,flying with 46 and 80Sqdns RFC. Winged Victory was written after the war when he was a patient in various sanatoriums. He Died in 1934. This book was written by a friend of mine who asked me several years ago if i could make a model of Yates aircraft. He gave me the 1/28 hoobycraft Camel f1 and i built it to enable an artist to paint the picture for the front cover of the book.

The author Gordon Atkin, is a member of Cross and Cockade, and the first world war avaiation historical society. A very good read

Pogo

R

rjwood_uk

can you give us a link to a website with it on for reviews and purchase?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
can you give us a link to a website with it on for reviews and purchase?
Try Amazon :smiling3:

Winged Victor is a biography of Victor Maslin Yeates, a WW1 Sopwith Camel pilot with No.46 and No.80 Squadrons, whose novel Winged Victory is widely considered to be one ot the classics on aerial warfare.Yeates wrote his book hoping to provide funds to maintain his wife and their four young children when he became incapable of working due to TB, attributable to the strain of combat flying during the war. Written whilst hw was in and out of sanatoriums, Winged Victory was finally published in June 1934, just six months before his death.

With the co-operation of his three surviving children who have provided access to family papers, Winged Victor also explores the factual aspect of Yeates book through a detailed examination of his log book entries, letters to his family and the official Squadron records held in the National Archives. The original manusripts of both Winged Victory and Family Life (which he was writing when he died) are deposited at The University of Texas at Austin and these have also been consulted.

This research gives an insightinto how Yeates' novel came to be written, from the original suggestion of his old school friend, the author Henry Williamson, to its eventual publication some fouteen months later when it received high praise from T.E.Lawrence.

Guy Yeates, Victor's son, has written the Foreword, and the book is illustrated with a map and over 70 photographs. An important inclusion in the Appendices is the text of a previously unseen chapter of Winged Victory omitted from the published version.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Clive,I have just purchased a batch of WW.1 material rare vac-form 1=48th scale bipane kits,rigging materials etc from someone who was once a member of the Cross & Cocckade,there was some paperwork that mentioned this name,the society of World War 1 Historians,a very respected organisation.

P

Pogo

The book was published last year and had a reveiw in Flypast Magazine

P

Pogo

I have spoken to the author tonight and he is delighted to hear that i have mentioned his book on the forum .The painting on the front cover was based on a model camel i made for him , suspended on a clothes line and photographed from all angles. He has given permission to allow anyone who would like a copy to contact him via me.The price is £14.95 inclusive of postage. (UK) Overseas £17.95