A recommended read.

Y

yorky

Hope this is ok to post as it's not really modelling related ? Amongst a heap of books I picked up at local library clear out was FLIGHTS IN HISTORY by Ian McLachlan. Briefly, it gives stories of fliers from WWII both RAF and USAAF who had crashes either back over England or Europe. Some really moving stories of both survivors and those not so lucky. Particularly interesting was a piece written by an RAF navigator flying with 49 Squadron out of Fiskerton in Lincs. Tells how he was shot down, seeing radio operators remains having been riddled by tracers. He was the last one out, pilot stayed in to keep the thing flying to allow everyone else to bale out. There was also the tail gunner who had initially radioed that he was stuck, but then when told someone would come and get him, replied that he'd managed to free himself and don't worry. I suspect (though it's not said) that he just didn't want anyone risking themselves to get him out, especially as by this time the back was on fire.

Happily, after landing the navigator met up with fellow crewmen a couple of days later, unfortunately banged up as a pow.

Book also gives some details of the individual aircraft which could form basis of building some tribute models, which is something I may look at doing.