A seaplane glider ? and Lake Windermere.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Shown on the TV programme 'Heart of the Country' today, was a remarkable bit of actual footage featuring a glider seaplane being towed at high speed across Lake Windermere ! no idea what the purpose of this experiment was,but it looked quite spectacular, with spray going in every direction? Also mentioned were the Sunderland Flying boats that used to operate from here,there was also a mention of one being at the bottom of Windermere.

There are plans to put in place speed restrictions of 10 m.p.h for jet skies and things like that on Windermere,and a lot of protests against this move,probably health and safety issues again ? with all of the speeds that have been attained here in the past it seems a bit late in the day for placing such restrictions ? the nanny state in operation again.

D

duncan

Missed that piece on Windermere, pity. The original idea for the seaplane glider was for commando operations in Norway. The tug aircraft releasing the gliders offshore allow the gliders to penetrate the fiords silently and at night. I dont know what the tugs were to be but it seems a nightmare towing three(?) per plane with another (bigger) flying boat. The glider in the Steamboat Museum was a converted Slingsby "Cadet" I think. I`ve spoken to a local diver who can vouch for the fact that there is at least one Sunderland at the bottom of the lake. I believe there was a "shadow factory" assembling and test flying them on Windermere. Pity about the speed restrictions. The Windermere Speed Record Week was a great tradition, wonder if they will get an exemption for that event . The Lowwood Hotel was like Monaco for 10 days of action on water.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks Duncan for the explanation,that must have been the same steamboat museum that Fred Dibnah visited a few years ago ? just love those old steamers,such character,lets face it we all associate Windermere with speed records,Donald Campbell and all of that stuff,seems such a pity with all of that space,you had problems with the seaplane operations from the Scottish lakes as well,did they ever resolve that one ?

Being freshwater that Sunderland could be worth bringing up to the surface,I am sure that with modern technology and these miniature subs something could be done ?

B

bartley

I love to go hiking in the Lakes, not least for the peace and quiet, but I'm always a bit 'twitchy' about condemning other peoples pastimes, (eg. jetskis), just because they don't fit in with mine. Having said that I can understand the speed restrictions from a safety aspect but I don't see why 'official' events shouldn't be allowed in such a spectacular location.

Steve.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Very thoughtfully said Bartley,conflicts often happen with hobbies,we have to give and take as everything in life.

B

Bunkerbarge

There have actualy been a number opf fatal accidents with Jet Ski's which I am sure is driving this initiative.

It's a shame though that we always seem to go for the "Knee jerk" over-reaction instead of some logical and well though out solution.

D

duncan

Most of the waterplane activity in Scotland during WWII was on Lochryan at West Freugh (pro. Froo) in SW. The Clyde Estuary, central area west coast, Oban , a bit further up west coast. Scapa Flow, right at the very top. Coming down the east coast, Invergordon on the Cromarty Firth. Finally on the Forth , near Rosyth and Edinburgh. The Invergordon WW II buildings and launching slipway are still intact and a couple of hangars (now used for a charity collection point for 3rd world countries, swords into ploughs ) The plans to convert BN "Islanders" to flying boats (Ross) there came to nought, alas. Nothing but a dozen or so oil rigs floating at anchor. There is a strong model waterplane presence on Windermere these days. Dont know what problems you mean Barry and we only have one lake (Leven), all the rest are Lochs:hammer: Which are the same as loughs in Ireland not as in lock for keys etc.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It is probably resoved now Duncan ? there were problems with commercial seaplane operations allied to so called pollution,a Cessna 172 seaplane operator,they just do not understand thse people,seaplanes do not leave pollution,not in the water long enough.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It probably was Jet Ski operations that started all of this paranoia Richard,but why not try and exercise some sort of control over things ? why do we need to place a ban on things all of the time ?

D

duncan

It is probably resoved now Duncan ? there were problems with commercial seaplane operations allied to so called pollution' date='a Cessna 172 seaplane operator,they just do not understand thse people,seaplanes do not leave pollution,not in the water long enough.[/quote']That must be the one operating on Loch lomond. Another flies off Loch Earn, a Kitfox. I think the Jetski cowboys have spoiled it for everybody, fun machines , great to ride , lots of experts on them too but the odd lout that can afford them just ruined their reputation.
View attachment 13647

loch lomond at glasgow.jpg

Last edited:
F

flytilbroke

Last year there was at least one on Loch Lomond. Loch Earn had at least three. More Lakes than Windermere are under threat of speed restrictions due to very silly Ski-boat, Fast boat, Jet Ski drivers endangering other users. Alongside that of course are many others not having sense to stay out of the way of fast traffic. Swimmers, rowers, canoeists, all getting into the Take-off/Landing zones of Model Aircraft for example, as well as known fast boat areas.

www.windermeremodelwaterplaneflyers.co.uk

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Bob,there is some interesting stuff on that site,I just love seaplanes but apart from our local canal there is very little possibility around here,I did some seaplane flying from Wyken Slough but too many trees and obstructions,you also need a buddy with a boat to avoid engine out landings that go wrong,it is just not very practicle around here,but those who have water near them have fun.

There is also some full sized seaplane activity now in the Isle of Mull area,I have a friend who lives there,lucky fellow.

D

duncan

Mull has a sometime visitor called McTaggart who arrives from Canada in a Grumman Turbo Mallard. Bit of a flying yacht, was flown by a Capt. Wales who had some experience with Chalks Airlines (flying boats) based in Miami , Florida.

F

flytilbroke

Hi Barry, Might seem strange this, seeing as we have so much water here, but I do not get to fly waterplanes locally, due as you say, to needing a buddy with a boat. Likely due to Waterplanes being a niche part of our hobby we get to know, at least by face, flyers from England as well as Scotland. As a group we tend to get around a bit. Any Fly-in would make you welcome, might even get a flight if you asked. A few of them have some really nice scale craft.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Bob and Duncan,yes I remember someone telling me about the Mallard,does Grosvenor Estates ring any bells ? Bob thanks for that,sure sounds like fun,the Kit Fox has had a bump Duncan but may be under repair,good to see all of this waterplane activity both small scale and full sized,now where did I put those floats ...??

F

flytilbroke

On Mull there are a few who used to fly fixed wing models. Presently there is small enthusiastic heli bunch. At the last weekend in May there is a fullsize light aircraft fly-in at Glen Forsa, on a grass strip between the shore and the Glen Forsa Hotel whose owner is a flying enthusiast. Given good weather over Scotland and GB, a nice mix of aircraft from very light craft to heli's to even a Turboprop "Caravan" can fill the site. Good fun visiting this.

D

duncan

Grovesner Estate ? Nope , no bells. Sorry about Kitfox, never heard about that. Nearby (ish) Islay`s police sargeant flew a very nice big scale Sea King in RAF Rescue livery. Lovely 60 size I reckon.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Bob,Glen Forsa hotel,thats the chap who owns an all black Piper Super Cub,it is at Oban at the moment wintering,I have flown into the Glen Forsa strip many times on my Flight Sim and landed on that strip,my friend brought a run down bungalow on the island and rebuilt it over several years,he moved everything from Coventry to settle in there and retire,loves it,keeps asking me to go and visit him and sample the island,trouble is I would probably not want to come back ! if I could get a cheap flight to Glen Forsa then I would probably do just that but not keen on travelling by car all that way ?

A

artic-corsair

waterplanes

Bob,there is some interesting stuff on that site,I just love seaplanes but apart from our local canal there is very little possibility around here,I did some seaplane flying from Wyken Slough but too many trees and obstructions,you also need a buddy with a boat to avoid engine out landings that go wrong,it is just not very practicle around here,but those who have water near them have fun.There is also some full sized seaplane activity now in the Isle of Mull area,I have a friend who lives there,lucky fellow.
check out the www.largemodelassociation.com web site for water plane flying , they have a lake at billing northhampton.

N

new to trains

having spent all my school years growing up in keswick in the lakes....and in all the years going dinghy sailing and canoeing on the lake the most worrying potential accident i encountered was in about 1987 when a jaguar and a harrier collided mid air on a low level run in the borrowdale valley, the debris was scattered far and wide even at such low altitude, bits ended up in the lake ( derwentwater) as i was sailing about half a mile away ( i should have been revising for school exams at the time but it was such a lovely day i went for a sail instead)......pilots ejected but sadly there were fatalities.......