A Tale of Two Churchills

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
July 1944 in Italy? I would go with SCC 2. The order for SCC 15 only came in April that year, off the top of my head, with the proviso that existing stocks of SCC 2 were to be exhausted first and vehicles should only be repainted when it was actually necessary. The Italian front being a backwater, I doubt it would have been high on the list for shipments of SCC 15.

Hi Jakko. That was my thinking. 51st RTR only arrived in Italy in April '44 so the vehicles they took over would more than likely still have been in SCC 2. It's so maddeningly difficult to tell from those colour pictures though. Even after fiddling around with the colour settings they sometimes look brown and sometimes green!

Last edited:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The Churchill you have done looks a very close match for the photograph Alex, question about the photo is, was it a colour photo to start with or colourised later? Obviously colourising a black & white means they could have done anything with it & colour film of that era wasn't up to the standards we are used to, giving odd shades.

Reactions: JR

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
The Churchill you have done looks a very close match for the photograph Alex, question about the photo is, was it a colour photo to start with or colourised later? Obviously colourising a black & white means they could have done anything with it & colour film of that era wasn't up to the standards we are used to, giving odd shades.

Thanks Graeme. It's an original colour photo, one of a series in the IWM archive.

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It's so maddeningly difficult to tell from those colour pictures though. Even after fiddling around with the colour settings they sometimes look brown and sometimes green!
It’s even worse when you’ve only got black-and-white photos to go from. However, if you’ve made your deductions and can support them with reasoning, then let the other guy prove you’re wrong :smiling3:

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Hi all. Had no bench time for the last week - all my evenings have been taken up with online training. Utterly, mind-numbingly, soul-destroying! I've still got two courses to do but they just will not load. So they'll have to wait. I've got far better things to be doing with my time, like making a start on the Dragon version of the Churchill IV.

Obligatory sprue shots first, and the instructions. Only one page but this is a far more detailed kit than the PSC offering. It's even got a commander's vane sight and No 19 Set antenna base. And two beautifully moulded Besa MG's. Shame all you'll see of them is the barrel.

_20200422_175112.JPG

_20200422_175153.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Grief! It's really been slow progress on this one. These bloody online courses have really sucked the life out of me! And now I've all my soldiers' annual reports to write too. My annual exercise in perjury!

Anyway the Dragon Churchill IV is ready for final assembly and detail painting. Here it is in base coat of SCC2.

_20200503_133546.JPG

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Evening guys. I thought I'd have this one done by now but I've really buggered up the paint job and need to strip it and start again. I tried Dettol last time but it didn't end well. Any suggestions? I've heard that oven cleaner works but I've never tried it. :sad:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I used a kitchen cleaner containing bleach to remove Tamiya paint, what kind of paint did you use?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why not just paint over it?