Airbrush paint recommendations 1/24 cars

M477

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Hi All,

Looking for some suggestions as I'm getting back into the hobby - new to airbrushing and looking for that shiny gloss finish that can be polished etc. for a nice shine.

Just sprayed a couple of tamiya shells using vallejo colours and clear but its too thin to sand back (I pretty much rub through even with 2000 grit wet and dry) and the clear gloss is giving a really disappointing finish.

What are others using?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Matt, we don't have that many car modellers on here which is probably why you haven't had a reply yet.

If you can accommodate them, lacquer paints can potentially give you a much better finish than the water based ones you have used. The likes of Tamiya LP, MRP, or my staple, Mr Color.

Some even go as far as using repackaged automotive paints like Zero or Proscale, but these need a little care with application since the solvents are so strong and can affect plastic if you don't paint with care.

The advantage is that they are proper automotive colours so you can match just about any vehicle scheme you wish.

For clearcoat / varnish, again lacquer ones are your best option. I use Mr Color GX-100 and find it can produce great results. Again, some go as far as using 2k automotive clearcoats, which chemically cure and can provide the best gloss level and superb durability, but have serious health concerns so need to be treated with respect.

John has started selling the new Ammo Cobra range which is aimed at car builders. I can't vouch for them myself but it might be a good starting point. Maybe try one on your next build and see if it suits you.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Would it be an option to use aerosol cans intended for touching up real cars? Either just use the can itself, or get some of the paint out and put it into an airbrush?

M477

SMF Supporter
First Name
Matt
Thanks both for your replies - I think you're both right that the water based stuff just isn't going to cut it. I did have a brief go with some Tamiya paints earlier this year when I was thinking about getting back into the hobby but to be honest the smell put me off, however I can't argue that the finish is excellent - and this was only using them by brush for internal parts.

I might get myself a few Tamiya paints for just the body shells as they're cheap enough, especially now I have the airbrush and give them a go with Mr Colour Laquer to finish.

For airbrushing was are people using as a thinning ratio, 1:1 for base colour, bit more on the laquer?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I tend to thin my paints much more than most and build up in gradual layers to get a smooth finish. With Mr color lacquer paints and clear coats I'll go as thin as 1:4, product : Mr Leveling Thinner.

Here's a truck I finished recently in GX-100 to give you an idea of what it can do with careful, thin application.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy is the expert at this, but to add to his advice, I would also suggest finer paper for rubbing down. You can get substantially finer grits that 2000 from Albion alloys. Finishing with Tamiya rubbing compounds will also help. I would go with Tamiya or Mr Color if possible as well. True acrylics never seem to dry hard enough to give a high shine in my experience. Last thing, I’d give the paint a few days to really harden between spraying and polishing as well.