Airbrushing oil colours.

P

Polux

Hi all.

I want to try to airbrushing oil colours on a model. I will diluyed with white spirit.

Any of you have some advice, please?

I'm worried with the obturation of the needle... :confused:

Thanks

Polux

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You can airbrush oils, but to get them thin enough to go through, you are going to have to thin it so much it will be almost clear. this will mean spraying loads of coats.

I can understand that you want to pick up the colour from the decal, would it be better to get the paints out and mix some acrylics. As long as it is close enough in colour, being away from the text it will not notice.

Alternatively why not print them out as well?

Ian M

D

dubster72

I've tried this Polux & as Ian said, the paint needed so much thinning it really wasn't worth doing.

Not only that, but even with really thin coats it still took ages to dry.

Now when I use oils, I just jab at them with an old cut-down brush which spreads the paint out nice & evenly. That way you don't get the rough looking build-up that you often see on figures painted with oils.

P

Polux

Thanks for the advices Ian and Patrick ;)

I can not resist the oil colour shine & life...... :oops: so I will have a go :smiling3:

I'm not the most faster modeller here...so I have no problem to wait :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Thanks

Polux

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Hi all.I want to try to airbrushing oil colours on a model. I will diluyed with white spirit.

Any of you have some advice, please?

I'm worried with the obturation of the needle... :confused:

Thanks

Polux
Have a look at:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/oops-i-need-a-new-airbrush.27154/

Possible white spirit problem

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Polux

I airbrush oils for the exhaust staining and general grime from the engine of aircraft with no problems. What you need to do is get a small amount of the paint in a tin lid then mix with just a little white spirit to get a thinner paste. Then keep adding small amounts of the spirit and keep mixing until you get the consistency you're after. You can then transfer this to the AB using a plastic pipette. In this way the you don't end up with any clumps of paint.

You obviously need to clean the AB thoroughly first with White spirit until all the oil has gone and then with your usual AB cleaner.

It's not really that difficult.

Hope this helps

Cheers

P

P

Polux

Thank you very much Steve & Paul!

I did it with no problem ;) but today, the colour isn't dry yet!! :confused:

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Give it a week or two and you'll be OK. LOL

Ian M

P

Polux

:smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

What happens if I paint now a coat of varnish...? O_o

Is a problem?

D

dubster72

It shouldn't be, as long as you leave it long enough to dry?