Airfix 1/350 HMS Illustrious

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one 1970! Hope you do a build thread too. I have one in the stash but a lack of space has put it on hold.

I was "warship" on the TV the other week. Do you think I can find it again. Sure got to see Lusty inside and out! I didnt know the floors were blue!

You get on it when you are good and ready John!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Interesting to see a modern Airfix kit and how it compares with the opposition. I guess it would be fair to say that they still are not at the standard of Tamiya but when you think a Tamiya 1/32nd Fighter now runs to 100 quid value for money must be taken into consideration as well.

Back to the cockpits John, I once did a solid cockpit canopy by painting a dark grey base then adding a coat of Tamiya clear yellow over the top of it. Most cockpit conopies are tinted in some way or another and the clear does help to give a bit of life to the base colour.

R

rawfodog

I've also got this model. Do you have any tips about painting the large one colour areas? My kit has come with paints and Brush, but I'm worried about brush marks in the large areas.

F

Fenlander

When brush painting anything but especially large areas, make sure you thin your paint so that you build up a couple of layers of thinned colour rather than one thick one. Thinning the paint will help eliminate dragging and brush marks. Try not to 'over work' an area or the paint will be starting to dry as you go over it and that will cause it to drag to.

Also, as the ship is an overall grey colour, it may be worth investing in a rattle can aerosol of grey such as from Halfords to paint the bulk of it. Just brush paint detail and other colours.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
As Graham said, use a spray, I airbrushed it I'm not good at brush painting at the best of times, but something this big I would have found a nightmare.

B

Bunkerbarge

Have a look at the new range of Tamiya mini spray tins. They have just been re-released after a couple of years absence and they are a great means of spraying a large area without any of the hassle of setting up your own spray gear. They are also very good quality paint and cover well without hiding detail.

T

trooper

Hi looks like a good build so far. I was just wondering is anyone going to be useing the WEM PE for this model of the rest of you that have this kit?