Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I

S

snapper41

Hi all;

Next chapter in my quest to build all of 41 Sqn in 1/48! This is the venerable Airfix MkI Spit; not bad considering its age, but some work is needed to get a decent build out of it - in particular the wing root join to the fuselage. The kit tries to be a MkI, Ia and IIa, plus there are even sprues with cannons and a tear-drop canopy, so it even tries to be a later mark too! Therefore, quite a few inaccuracies, but nothing that can't really be overcome. Finished as a 41 Sqn machine, Catterick, 1939.

View attachment 78155

View attachment 78156

View attachment 78157

View attachment 78158

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

1d.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic looking spit Andy, you'd never know you had a bit of bother with the wing roots , and the paint job is excellent , great build , cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is a nice Mk I.

Does that prop come in the kit or is it an add on?

Great build and lovely paint!

Ian M

S

snapper41

There are three props in the box Ian - the Watts 2-blade, plus Rotol and DH 3-blades

First Name
Dave
That's come out well considering it's not the best Spitfire kit on the market.A nice addition to your collection Andy.

S

snapper41

Thanks Dave - you're right; it's not the best kit on the block. In terms of accuracy of shape, it is slightly better than the Tamiya kit, but of course the Tamiya kit falls together. Also, AFAIK, this is the only kit that provides the Watts 2-blade prop, un-armoured windscreen and flat-topped canopy, so if you want an early Mk1, it's the only game in town.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Lovely work Andy, another fantastic build for your growing collection. Someone was asking about the windshield on early Spitfires the other day, I think this is a good example of the pre-armoured glass shield and flat canopy.

Edit: I see it was your question Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Nice spit , and you've done a great job on the flaws the kit has , interesting that the kit gives a few options to do different variations

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice job, do like it,well done all round on her Andy

A

Andy Mac

Very nicely done Andy, it certainly represents a Mk.1 Spit nicely.

I'm going to be tackling some 41 Squadron machines soon, I've got the 1/48 Xtradecal 41 Sqn History sheet to do a Jaguar special tail, and it'll be a shame to waste the rest of the sheet ;) .

I spent many a day at the RAF Coltishall crash gates armed with my camera o_O.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice Spitfire. It looks so different with a two bladed prop.