Airfix 1/72 German E-Boat;

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well 5 armour kits in a row, so time for a change.

The next victim has just had a bath and is drying off ready to get started on this evening.

View attachment 13533

Being one of the older E boats its a bit of fun finding info on it. Especially as Airfix sort of forget to say which type it was. I think it was a 1934 or '37 version.

View attachment 22339

09032010389..jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
After half a tube of squadred white you can almost not see the join in Airfixes infamous mulit part hull!!! Still saves you having to cut the bottom off if you wanted to do a water-line build.

Just for the hell of it here are a couple of piccies of the progress. The filler along the join has just had another coat, so its not rubbed down yet.

And you get to see the caos I call a work table!

View attachment 22363

View attachment 22364

View attachment 22365

View attachment 22366

View attachment 22367

View attachment 22368

21032010402..jpg

21032010408..jpg

21032010407..jpg

21032010403..jpg

21032010406..jpg

21032010405..jpg

N

noble

Ian mate this is looking good so far you seem to be on top of it good stuff. How are you finding the build trust me stick with it and it will turn out, keep up the good work.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well Scott as I said the hull was normal airfix, and was a right Oink to get lined up. As the Bow there was a step of at least 1mm. centering it to reduce the step only moved the fault further abaft, sorry further back. So the filler was put on with a trowel and sanded back to find the hull.

The Curve across the deck is also a bit of a tricky one to keep. Why can't they figure out to put braceing on the back of the deck when there is a curve to it. (And why didn't I)?

Other wise its going together quite well. There was a single (so far) short shot, but I just made a new one out of a bit of brass wire. The crank on the Mine rack. Or are they depth charges?

Did you find out which year it was from Scott when you did your one?

All it says in the kits papers is its one from the early production series. I still think 1937. The tubes went under deck after that....

F

Fenlander

Just been up to Hobbycraft to get yet more paint for this damned bi plane, takes a whole pot of weird colour for a little bit no bigger than a fingernail. What the hell am I going to do with all these odd colours when it's finished? Oh, just remembered, there are two of this torture machines in the box, trouble is, the next scheme will want different colours.... Anyway, just been up to Hobbycraft for some more paint and they have this E Boat in stock. Mmmm, I thought, never done a ship or boat, I will follow this thread very closely before I commit myself though.....

N

noble

Give it a try Graham you might be surprised, Ian is correct it is a pig to do but worth it. Ian iam almost positive it is 1937 it was one of the first boats trialed.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Scott: thank mate! (where is your build of this hidden, I cant find the darn thing!)

Graham: Go for it! Take your time and if you hit a bump, just yell out to either me or Scott. Its really only the bottom part of the hull which is a pig, so you could allways leave it off and do it as a waterline; siting in the water.

Started painting bits now. Pictures tomorrow.

Ian M

F

Fenlander

I may make this my first boat. However, remembering the great job Scott did on his, bit of tough act to follow.

Scott's E Boat Link

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Graham,

If you're worried about the 4-piece hull on this one, Revel do a version of the later boat with a normal 2-piece hull. I've not started mine, but a couple of trial fits haven't raised any worries about fit.

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well then. The painting has begun.

Diviated a bit from the airfix recomended colours. Test chips looked just wronge.

So for the lightest grey, I went for RN 507c which is quite a good 'schnellboot' white.

The darkest grey was also changed to Humbrol 32 Dark grey.

Masking tape came away with out pulling a single flake of paint off. Thank you Tamiya, for a masking tape that does what it should do.

Lets hope it works when I mask for the water line!!!

Here are a few photos, so far.

Next job, fit the prop shafts and rudders, then paint the bottom.

The prop shafts; should I paint them the same as the bottom of the hull, paint them in steel, or do what I normally do and chop them out and fit piano wire shafts and leave them unpainted.

I should say at this point I do not weather boats! Nice and clean works for me in the nautical section.

View attachment 22434

View attachment 22435

View attachment 22436

23032010411..jpg

23032010413..jpg

23032010412..jpg

N

noble

Ian nice one mate this is looking very nice so far, told you you'd manage with the hull, nice colours as well, keep those pic's coming my friend i like it.

scott

N

noble

P.s Wghat is RN 507c and who is it made by as iam thinking of buying the revell schnellboot version.... oh by the way i've nearly finished the airfix vosper... talk about a challenge.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
RN 507C. Is from White Ensign Colour Coat paints. I use them rather a lot for my boats as they are all matched to original coloour chips from the original manufacturers.

The Vosper was painted with them, if you have seen that. (in boats).

You can find them here if you dont know them already. White Ensign Models Complete catalogue

Did I mention that they also do paint for the armour guys to.

To name just a few of the ranges covered: RLM, US and Royal Navy, Luftwaffe, kriegsmarine.....And they are good paints. I rather like the fact that they dry to the exact same colour, regardless if they are sprayed or brushed. Make touch ups a doddle!

PS I have the revell s-100 flakboat, in my stach Eduard does some nice PE for it ;)

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
F

Fenlander

Nice one Ian, you have certainly cracked on with this one. Looking forward to final pics.

F

Flying Scottiedog

That looks great especially the rigging. I thought about something like this but my hands are a bit clumsy when rigging is a part of the kit so i just like to admire the work that others do.

Well done on the build.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean Allan. I have ten stiff fingers, and most of them are thumbs!!!

Have added the last bits as per my last post. Just need the decals! Dude there shinny!!

Thanks for all the kind words.

Ian M

G

gbkirsch

Very nice build. I am working on mine currently as well and found this site. Can't wait to see your finished E....

Gary K

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
'Ho §! Knew there was some thing I'de forgotten.

I will try to send finished photos today, been a bit busy with the group build!