Airfix 1/72 Hurricane IIC G-AMAU

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Well, been a while, while I've been sorting Biplane #4 and the Hawker Hector from the Biplane GB, now time expired but I WILL finish THEM

So, now I'm about to commit a modern modelling heresy. I don't think much of AK paints, but it's probably just me and my airbrush...
IMG_3018.JPGIMG_3019.JPG
So, here's the gold undercoat, which I'll be masking with the letters, either tape or transfers, then over that with the blue. In about a week's time to ensure it's dry!

The fuselage took three coats before it got good coverage, and the wing is on the third now, too. Okay, so, this IS the first time I've used AK stuff, and I may not be great with my airbrush, but this stuff takes a bugger of a long time to dry. Also, the big blotch on the starboard wing is where the paint came off, when it rested against some paper TWO HOURS after it was sprayed. My mistake but... And, as can be seen from the port wing bump additions, that stuff REALLY doesn't like bare plastic

I've just tried the AK super metal chrome stuff on biplane #4, sprayed over Alclad gloss black base, and it's come out VERY dark. The Alclad came out VERY bright and shiny (and then came off with a bit of glue overspill)
So, I guess the lesson here is be very much aware of what's underneath 'cos thin coats are VERY thin
So, all the silver wings RAF stuff I'm working my way through, I've still not found an 'ideal' polished metal finish, other than self-adhesive sheet.