Airfix 1/72 P40 Under the Red Star

S

spongtastic

View attachment 78529

View attachment 78531

Finally finished!
A few mistakes. Fitted the front landing gear before the hub inserts which didn't fit. The pitot tubes are very thin and both fell by the wayside before ending up with stretched sprue. Canopy is so thin it had holes in. Pastels ran when I put on the top Matt coat. White could have done with another coat. And I've just realised the prop decals are missing. Apart from that I'm quite happy.

View attachment 78528

View attachment 78530

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great to me, a well worn aircraft, it looks quite striking with the winter white wash wearing off. Would not have noticed the missing propeller decals if you hadn't said so.

Z

Ziper_it

I'm with Joe, very good indeed.

If there were issue, you solved them in a brilliant manner as nothing can be noticed.

Francesco

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice job , do like the frost over her, and for the decals ,on the propeller the same

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
If that weathering is a frosty look I think you've nailed it , it looks really cool :smiling3:

S

spongtastic

\ said:
I like it! What did you use for the white distemper coat?
The white is artists acrylic brushed on in a criss-cross pattern, half way between dry brushing and normal. It looked a lot 'whiter' before weathering and the final clear coat. I found a picture of the actual plane in use rather than the propaganda shots of P40s lined up that proves it was sprayed white, but not having an airbrush to me this is a good second best.

And all thanks for the comments, much appreciated!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I really like it , its a nice neat build. I know what you mean about the pitots and the canopy . If you do decide to put another coat of the white wash it should be ok , the white coat could vary from slightly patchy to very opaque, cheers tony