Airfix HM Bark Endeavour 1/120

First Name
Tony
The Airfix Endeavour Bark is a kit which has been stored in the bedroom wardrobe for a while and it was decided to mark a start after completing Revell's HMS Bounty.

The two halves of the hull needed a fair amount of time spending to clean up the mould seams.

I was really concerned about joining the two halves of the hull together with the deck sandwiched between. After a couple of dry runs, got thinking this will never work, anyway the decision was made to "go for it" and glue it together. Hey Presto, it went together a treat, rubber bands, masking tape and a couple of clamps held it in place until the glue had set. I was really pleased, just some minor cleaning, a little filler is needed at the bow and stern.

The deck has been painted Revell 88 which is similar to the plastic and the inner sides of the hull are Humbrol Acrylic 186. The next stage is to paint the hull, using the Humbrol 186, with Humbrol 70 below the waterline. Detailing will be blue and anthracite.

As the full sized vessel was a coal ship before the Royal Navy bought her for the epic voyage, someone once commented "she has the ergonomic hull design of a brick", this can be seen in the last photograph. A wonderful full sized replica was built in Australia some years ago.

Airfix Endeavour (1).JPG

Endeavour (3).JPG

Endeavour (5) Mould seams.JPG
Endeavour (6e).jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tony
The mind boggles at the bravery and determination of those who made the journey to Australia/New Zealand in the Endeavour. No modern aids whatsoever. There is a smaller replica in Whitby, Capt Cook's home. This kit goes way back.
Looks as if you're off to a good start.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice to see a sailing ship underway……good luck Tony. A ship is supposed to have a sharp end and a blunt end though……the one has a blunt end and a very blunt end :tongue-out3:

First Name
Tony
Time for a progress report on this sailing ship build. The hull was painted with Humbrol acrylic 186 above the rubbing strake and 70 below. All brush painted as I don't have facilities for spraying. Those Humbrol paints which are now supplied in the dropper bottle are excellent - Thanks to John and the team in the shop for the quick delivery.
Next is to detail paint the transom and start to paint the deck fittings etc.

Thanks for taking a look
Tony
Endeavour (14).jpegEndeavour (15) detail painting.JPG

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. Certainly not very streamlined but did carry a lot of sail.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice wood finish for the hull sides and paintwork. If only my Constipation wasn't just in black and white scheme.
Been on board the Endeavor replica in Sydney harbour which was predominantly in red livery on deck if I can recall. I would have taken more pictures if I had the time as I was trying to catch HMAS Vampire before closing time.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

First Name
Tony
Thanks for the good positive feedback, it is much appreciated.

Richard, there is this documentary about the launching. She was white under the water which I guess must have changed throughout her life. I understand the Australian replica's colours were based on a model which was made at the same time as the full sized one was converted from the coal barge 'Earl of Pembroke'.

Always sad to hear of the loss of a tall ship but the later, 'Earl of Pembroke', built in Sweden, 1945 as 'Orion' was recently broken up in Holland.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for the good positive feedback, it is much appreciated.

Richard, there is this documentary about the launching. She was white under the water which I guess must have changed throughout her life. I understand the Australian replica's colours were based on a model which was made at the same time as the full sized one was converted from the coal barge 'Earl of Pembroke'.

Always sad to hear of the loss of a tall ship but the later, 'Earl of Pembroke', built in Sweden, 1945 as 'Orion' was recently broken up in Holland.

Thanks for the video Tony, yes the bottom of the replica is white. Below decks timber sides were in red. I'm not very tall at 5'8" and still was careful passing the beams overhead. The accommodations for the officers were small and cramped. Wasn't allowed photographing the interior. Correction I managed some interior shots.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Tony, I found the pictures I took and hope they are helpful to you if you want to stow away all the rigging on the deck. You won't be needing the interior shots but I will include them.

59.jpg60.jpg61.jpg62.jpg63.jpg64.jpg66.jpg67.jpg68.jpg69.jpg70.jpg71.jpg72.jpg73.jpg74.jpg75.jpg76.jpg77.jpg78.jpg79.jpg

Interior shots next...just four more.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on very nicely!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the video Tony, yes the bottom of the replica is white. Below decks timber sides were in red. I'm not very tall at 5'8" and still was careful passing the beams overhead. The accommodations for the officers were small and cramped. Wasn't allowed photographing the interior. Correction I managed some interior shots.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble
White is correct mate - the hull undersides were 'payed' with a white lead mixture before the common usage of copper as an anti-fouling agent!
Steve