AMT UPS Taurus No. 88

P

PWick

Another of my auction wins from ebayUK. This again was an 'already started', this time the chassis/interior was complete, bar the front suspension (good as I lowered the front end), and not painted. So painting the seat and adding seatbelts and painting the rollcage and various engine parts was interesting!

The other problem was that the original owner had stuck on both the bonnet and bootlid, so enamel thinners to the fore to dissolve the glue around the bonnet, which ended up using a craft knife to seperate one from the other, not totally satisfactory. I think I've seen somewhere on 'How Two's' putting bodyshells in the freezer to seperate glued parts. I'll try that next time!

Again the decals were 'dodgy' so I added two coats of clear laquer, for safety. Laying up the long side decals was also interesting, around the rear side window, over the rear wheelarch and along to the front wheelarch, using plenty of water to slide it along.
39_zpsfk0mwf2b.jpg

42_zpsar7j0kyx.jpg

48_zps5mffj1ks.jpg

49_zpsfgdbz7uw.jpg

Lessons learnt: please recognise the two seperate silver coated Halfords spray cans of automotive Grey Undercoat and automotive Clear Laquer, why?

I heated and sprayed the Grey Undercoat along the drivers side ontop of the decals, then realised as I did it. Put a few drops of Humbrol Acrylic Thinners on a kitchen towel and wiped the grey paint straight off! It's a good job I'd already sprayed the decals with clear laquer when preparing them on the sheet!

I then wiped the Acrylic Thinners off with water, dried the shell, warmed the Clear Gloss Laquer and carried on, I must slow down and realise which spray can I'm about to use, and it's consequences!

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Good recovery ......... :smiling3:.

You've made a cracking job of that Taurus.

Cheers
Peter

B

Builder

Thats one cool looking rally car Patrick mate. Good engine and very good work on the interior.

P

PWick

Thanks Builder as I've just said on another site, it's exciting model making even after 60 years of it, to learn something different each day. It really keeps me going throughout my retirement. I can't wait to start the next one whatever that may be!
For instance I'd finished the decals on this one and realised that the bottom of the front vallance should be painted black. So I can't mask over the decals, and looked in the drawers of my modelling desk, hey presto and reel of auto pinstriping tape I'd had for 25 years plus, self adhesive, still sticky, try that. One clean black line down one side round the front and down the other side, superb!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Nice, the last NASCAR I built was about 25+yrs ago - a "Days of Thunder" kit - Cole Trickle's car.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice clean build Patrick,do like the coating of decals on the racer,s,;)

P

PWick

Thanks guys, yes Monica although I sometimes have my heart in my mouthy laying them up, I love decals, even to extent of printing my own!
and Snowman I seem to have found a few Nascar kits here in the UK all of a sudden so I'm building a few while I can.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
cool,always so good to be able to print,design decal,s me not that good with PC,programs,
To be able to make that type of thing,
real looks good,Patrick,and well done,look forward to seeing more I hope,:D

P

PWick

Yes monica very satisfying to get right. Yes I have a few more to do, about 60!

P

PWick

Cheers papa 695/Ian. Yes we learn something new each day. I've just bought a Lindberg Ford Fooler Hot Rod kit from way back when, so washed & dried it and laid it out with the build plan and it talks about chrome parts, but the kit doesn't have any it's all in bright yellow plastic and decals (just 3)have already fallen apart!

N

noble

Wow, you know I really admire you guys who build these cars what a beauty.

P

PWick

Thanks noble, we try our best with what we have available, and if it's not available we find things that fit or make them. I've recently after 60 years at this hobby, about two years I started printing my own decals, by finding images on google, that suited the build I was on at the time.